The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Paint colours  (Read 2662 times)

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Paint colours
« on: 21/06/2007 12:54:31 »
Has there been a breakthrough in paint technology? There seem to be many more colours available these days. Is it that a new technique is used to manufacture the paint or just that these colours weren't wanted previously?

I ask because I have noticed a plethora of disgustingly bright pink, green & orange cars of late. But there also seems to be a much greater choice in household paints.

Offline eric l

• View Profile
Paint colours
« Reply #1 on: 21/06/2007 13:08:50 »
It is a combination of factors.
First there is the point - in the case of cars as you indicate - that there are more pigments that behave predictably under oven treatment (the car bodies are "baked" along the production line), and that there are also pigments that give the same colour without the baking (for repair jobs).
An other point is the improvement of the measuring techniques for reflected light.  These now match closely the appreciation by the human eye.
And of course there is fashion - the public being dictated which colours or colour combinations are "in" and which are "out".

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
Paint colours
« Reply #2 on: 21/06/2007 13:15:20 »
So what you're saying is that the technology for actually producing these colours has been around for a while but it's fashion & improved measurements that are the cause of them becoming more common?

paul.fr

Paint colours
« Reply #3 on: 21/06/2007 13:23:54 »
So what you're saying is that the technology for actually producing these colours has been around for a while but it's fashion & improved measurements that are the cause of them becoming more common?

Are you a dedicated follower, Doc......I think we have been here before  ;)

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
Paint colours
« Reply #4 on: 21/06/2007 13:28:38 »

Are you a dedicated follower, Doc......I think we have been here before  ;)

Offline Atomic-S

• View Profile
Paint colours
« Reply #5 on: 24/06/2007 07:22:28 »
I wouldn't consider myself an expert on this subject, but back in the 16th century, paints were made of such chemicals as were then known, e.g. egg and assorted mineral salts, many of which were toxic. In more modern times, chemistry has advanced and in fact new pigments have become available. One of the biggest improvements was when the paint industry dumped its prior practice of offering specific colors premixed, and came up with the custom-mix system such as in hardware stores, where you select from thousands of colors and the clerk mixes it right there on the spot to your specification.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Paint colours
« Reply #5 on: 24/06/2007 07:22:28 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums