The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: You must not smoke in public... oops, I mean in PRIVATE!  (Read 13815 times)

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Taken from http://lifestyle.aol.co.uk/smokers-smoking-at-home-warning/article/20070629001309990007

Smokers are to be asked not to smoke in their own homes to protect council staff, it has been revealed.

Health and safety officers at Liverpool City Council have drawn up plans to request residents not to smoke at least half an hour before their staff visit and to open windows and not light up during a home visit.

The plans are to protect employees from exposure to second-hand smoke. The city council insist the new rules are not a "ban" and they will not be able to force householders to comply.

But if residents insist on smoking at home during a visit from a council employee the visit will be ended and they will be asked to attend a council office - which comes under the UK-wide no smoking ban from July 1.

The new rules will apply to all residents in council houses and private homes (my emphasis) and to all staff visiting homes, including social workers, enforcement officers and planning officers.

The new rules come as one council defended its decision to investigate "odour nuisance" caused by a couple smoking in their own home.

What will be next?

"Please do not keep pets as some of our employees are allergic to pet hairs"

"Please do not keep any alcohol in your home as some of our employees are alcoholics (we are an equal opportunities employer) and are likely to go on a bender"

paul.fr

You must not smoke in public... oops, I mean in PRIVATE!
« Reply #1 on: 29/06/2007 16:06:38 »
where is the concrete proof for second hand smoking? Anecdotal evidence, yes but concrete proof. I wonder where this will end, just wondering, is smoking still legal?

Hay doc, does the ban cover your stables?

Offline Mirage

• Neilep Level Member
  • Dry Hump anyone?
    • View Profile
    • http://brokenzanymind.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: 29/06/2007 16:12:19 »
The smoking ban will be interesting here at work. When it rains the staff who smoke all huddle under the archway which is right by the front door, if not there then there is a fire exit next to that. They shouldn't really smoke there anyway but with the ban coming in, even more so. However the company have bought a shelter for the staff which is around the corner away from the front door. The problem is, the shelter is tiny, can probably only fit two big people under there. Sometimes there can be over 10 people outside smoking. So when it's raining where will they go? What will they do?
Personally I think I'm gonna have a bit of fun with it all, having to tell them to move away from the front door, out of the fire exit area and to move around the corner  ;)

paul.fr

« Reply #3 on: 29/06/2007 16:17:07 »

Move along, please. dirty filthy criminal...er, smoker

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29/06/2007 16:20:16 »
No because the stables is not open to the public. But were I to say that once a month disabled kids could come to ride my horses then the ban would apply even if I was not charging them to ride.

And here's something else to think about. I run my own businesses and my home is my registered office. Therefore it is classed as a place of work. If I have prospective clients round to see me rather than my visiting them, then I am not allowed to smoke at home.

Similarly, if I am giving a client a lift in my car then neither of us is allowed to smoke even if we both do.

Whether or not you approve of this smoking ban, it has not been thought through at all (how typical of this government). When the knee jerked it threw them onto the bandwagon.

paul.fr

« Reply #5 on: 29/06/2007 16:23:12 »

Similarly, if I am giving a client a lift in my car then neither of us is allowed to smoke even if we both do.

that is the one that really gets me.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29/06/2007 16:27:48 »
It'll be interesting if the government follows Liverpool council's example. Picture the scene...

Chief inspector: So did you arrest the criminals?
Constable: No sir. We couldn't enter the premises as they were smoking cigarettes.

paul.fr

« Reply #7 on: 29/06/2007 16:30:38 »
It'll be interesting if the government follows Liverpool council's example. Picture the scene...

Chief inspector: So did you arrest the criminals?
Constable: No sir. We couldn't enter the premises as they were smoking cigarettes.

Put the cigarette down son, and come out quietly. will cigs now be classed as a weapon? lighting up when the council worker comes around, could you eventually get done for attempted ...something.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29/06/2007 16:33:10 »
"Don't come any closer, copper, or I'll light up!"

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29/06/2007 16:34:17 »
This reminds me of the Jasper Carrot quip about the difference between British & American cops.

An American cop shouts "Stop or I'll shoot"

A British cops shouts "Stop or I'll shout STOP again"

paul.fr

« Reply #10 on: 29/06/2007 16:41:43 »
if i remember correctly, prisoners can still smoke in their cells! shurley shome mistake...

Offline Mirage

• Neilep Level Member
  • Dry Hump anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29/06/2007 16:42:32 »

Move along, please. dirty filthy criminal...er, smoker

LOL, I might have to do that  ;)

If only I could have a uniform like that, they're hot.........if they still had uniforms like that I would become a police officer  :)

This reminds me of the Jasper Carrot quip about the difference between British & American cops.

An American cop shouts "Stop or I'll shoot"

A British cops shouts "Stop or I'll shout STOP again"

LOL I love Jasper Carrot

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29/06/2007 16:50:12 »
This was questioned in The House recently. I think the reply was along the lines of "We have waffle waffle and when all considerations are taken into blah blah waffle it was decided that the research waffle blah and the indications are therefore blah blah waffle"

paul.fr

« Reply #13 on: 29/06/2007 16:52:15 »
Dan, if you smoked and got caught and charged, do you realise you could lose your sia licence for just being a smoker.
then you would be out of a job, now that's forward thinking by the government of the people!
« Last Edit: 29/06/2007 16:54:25 by paul.fr »

paul.fr

« Reply #14 on: 29/06/2007 16:53:16 »
This was questioned in The House recently. I think the reply was along the lines of "We have waffle waffle and when all considerations are taken into blah blah waffle it was decided that the research waffle blah and the indications are therefore blah blah waffle"

rabble, rabble, rabble...when's lunch

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 29/06/2007 16:54:09 »

rabble, rabble, rabble...when's lunch

Hear hear!

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29/06/2007 16:55:57 »
I know we're being flippant about this, but I do find this gradual erosion of liberty very worrying.

paul.fr

« Reply #17 on: 29/06/2007 16:57:16 »
I know we're being flippant about this, but I do find this gradual erosion of liberty very worrying.

I think this is all we can do, Doc. There is no real people power, we could vote someone else in but would that make a difference? We have very few liberties left, and i suspect i will be cut off before i..........

text removed by HM Government, for anti-government stance
« Last Edit: 29/06/2007 17:00:04 by paul.fr »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29/06/2007 17:16:28 »
I would vote for anyone who said they would stop nannying me. If they also said they would stop the installation of any more CCTV systems I'd vote for them twice!

Offline Mirage

• Neilep Level Member
  • Dry Hump anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29/06/2007 18:13:15 »
Dan, if you smoked and got caught and charged, do you realise you could lose your sia licence for just being a smoker.
then you would be out of a job, now that's forward thinking by the government of the people!

Oh, that would not be good  :o

I'm gonna have to be a little careful while smoking  ;)

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29/06/2007 18:15:41 »
What does SIA stand for? Smoking It Anonymously?  :D

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30/06/2007 01:21:16 »
it's all just stupid. i'm no longer allowed to give "cigarette breaks" at work. i have to give everyone, whether they smoke or not, a five to ten minute break, and i am not allowed to say cigarette break.

paul.fr

« Reply #22 on: 30/06/2007 07:44:11 »
fag breaks are what makes going to work worthwhile

What does SIA stand for? Smoking It Anonymously?  :D

Seeing as Dan did not reply to you, Doc. The SIA Licence is what Dan has to have to be able to work. a marvelous scheme by the government where you have to pay for a licence to be in the security industry and only £210 for 3 years plus a few hundred quid for the course to attain your licence.

http://www.the-sia.org.uk/home

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30/06/2007 22:04:49 »
I don't understand this. The council want to avoid exposing their staff to toxic chemicals and lots of you seem to think this is a bad idea. Why do you think these people should risk their health? Doesn't it make more sense for them to work in an environment free of this problem- if not someone's home then the council office?
Cigarette smoke is known to be a carcinogen. Why is there any question that this is true whether you paid for the tobacco or not? Surely it's obvious that if this collection of chemicals causes cancer in people who deliberately inhale it then it will also cause cancer in those who are forced to breathe it by inconsiderate smokers.

jolly

« Reply #24 on: 30/06/2007 22:24:02 »
I don't understand this. The council want to avoid exposing their staff to toxic chemicals and lots of you seem to think this is a bad idea. Why do you think these people should risk their health? Doesn't it make more sense for them to work in an environment free of this problem- if not someone's home then the council office?
Cigarette smoke is known to be a carcinogen. Why is there any question that this is true whether you paid for the tobacco or not? Surely it's obvious that if this collection of chemicals causes cancer in people who deliberately inhale it then it will also cause cancer in those who are forced to breathe it by inconsiderate smokers.

I know what your saying but many of the reports are conflicting, in other words the jury is still out on passive smoking, well still out for me, most have already decided what they believe, evidence or not.

I have just given up been 2-3 weeks now. No-one other than one priest smokes here and its pipe tobacco, which is horrible so I dont enjoy smelling it.

However it is hardly right to ban smoking in the home, I do not see an issue with banning in some public places, it would have been nicer to have a 50, 50 policy, some places like resturants, but bars and nightclubs?

They could have decided on a smoking licence, and then just like with alcohol, if a bar or club wants to allow people to smoke, they need to apply for it, that way you could control the number of smoking premises, and put in place certain rules for places that did allow smoking- for example it could require that all the workers smoked, which would solve the passive smoking issue.

BILL HICKS: ´You non smokers are a bunch of winey little maggots, my greatest fear is that if I give up smoking, that I´ll become one of you´ 

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 30/06/2007 22:24:02 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums