The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Should the speed limit on certain stretches of motorway be abolished?  (Read 9788 times)

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
And how to enforce the "2 years expereince" rule?
If there were no speed limits, then there would be no need for cameras....there are actually cameras on motorways, but they are either for road-works or for the variable speed limit section of the M25.

It could also occur that cars over a certain capacity are not allowed outside of the inside lane unless overtaking. Or there could be a MINIMUM speed limit in the outside lane.

another_someone

It could also occur that cars over a certain capacity are not allowed outside of the inside lane unless overtaking. Or there could be a MINIMUM speed limit in the outside lane.

The trouble with using engine capacity is how easy is it really to tell a 1.4 litre vehicle from a 2.0 litre vehicle if they are the same basic model simply fitted with different engines.  Then, what about turbocharged engines?  What about diesels?  Or are you now going to refer to BHP, or maybe power to weight ration?

As for minimum speed limits - that can never reasonably be applied.  Having a recommended minimum speed may be one thing, but to prosecute someone because circumstances would make it unsafe to drive at or above the minimum speed would be foolish.  OK, you could suggest that in fog, or otherwise reduced visibility, or reduced traction, then the fast last should be closed off; but that would then be reducing the capacity of the road, and causing an increase in traffic density at a time when maybe greater braking distance might be a particular advantage.  This is not even taking into account traffic jams and alike.

There is an implied minimum speed limit, insofar as in Europe one is not allowed to overtake on the inside, so by inference, in normal conditions, the fast lane should not be travelling slower than the lane adjacent to it; but if the adjacent lane is clogged up with lorries that are speed limited to 56mph, then that merely means that the fast lane should be at least 57mph.  Ofcourse, in the UK (and I agree that this is less common in Germany), it often happens that cars that desire to move faster than the slow lane will just sit out in the fast lane (even when there is room in the slower lanes to move in), and so causing congestion in the fast lane to cause the fast lane sometimes to slow down to a speed below that of its adjacent lane.

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
I was thinking about the situation with motorbikes - I think that there is a minimum of 50 or 125cc that you have to have in order to be allowed onto the motorway (unless this has change recently). I wonder how this is/was enforced.

another_someone

I was thinking about the situation with motorbikes - I think that there is a minimum of 50 or 125cc that you have to have in order to be allowed onto the motorway (unless this has change recently). I wonder how this is/was enforced.

I think the limit is 50cc.  Motorbikes under 50cc have completely different licensing arrangements, and generally are targeted at a very different market.  There may be some models that have the same frame, but with both a 50cc and 125cc (or maybe something in between), but not many.  People who have a licence to ride something bigger than 50cc are generally looking for a bigger bike overall.

Motorbikes of up to 50cc, and with a top speed of no more than 30mph, is a legally a moped, which can be ridden by anyone with a driving licence issued before February 2001, or after having passed a moped test.

I suspect the 50cc rule was laid down based on various old limitations on motorbikes (I don't think the 30mph limit used to exist for mopeds, but I may be wrong).  In any case, I doubt there are many 50cc bikes now being sold that would not qualify as mopeds, as there would be no point in limiting them to 50cc then.  It is normally fairly obvious when a motorbike is incapable of being driven faster than 30mph on a motorway.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Do you think that stretches of motorway in your country should be de-limited, perhaps according to time of day, traffic flow, proximity to junctions etc?

Apparently so as I got nickified doing over 160mph on the M11  [:-[]

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums