The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Adults and children  (Read 2902 times)

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
Adults and children
« on: 02/07/2007 13:42:05 »
Please can someone provide me with the scientific basis for why adults can't run around all day in the same way as children, without suffering a series of near fatal cardiac-arrests?

As mass increases, does the energy required to move the mass increase as a square? Plus the energy required to lift hands and feet on longer levers (arms and legs) than children have must be greater - but by how much?

I would love a short, succinct, sound and scientific statement!

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Adults and children
« Reply #1 on: 02/07/2007 19:39:04 »
Children certainly have a faster metabolism weight for weight than adults- they need to in order to keep warm in spite of having proportionately more surface area. (BTW, this makes a difference in things like drug dosage)
It may  be this that gives them the ability to run adults ragged, but I suspect they are just showing off that they are less old, tired, and worn out than use oldies.

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Adults and children
« Reply #2 on: 02/07/2007 21:12:26 »
Faster metabolism, higher surface-volume ratio,
hyperactive immune response, are actually a big
problem if children have to face extreme crucial
events: starvation, freezing or dehydration by
heat or diarrhea, even infections find little
human babies more delicate and eventually they
succumb much before adults and elderly.
Am I completely wrong?

ikod   :-\

P.S.
Not a clever and glamorous post,
I must say...to celebrate my 1000posts!

« Last Edit: 07/07/2007 12:47:59 by iko »

jolly

Adults and children
« Reply #3 on: 02/07/2007 21:20:39 »
Please can someone provide me with the scientific basis for why adults can't run around all day in the same way as children, without suffering a series of near fatal cardiac-arrests?

As mass increases, does the energy required to move the mass increase as a square? Plus the energy required to lift hands and feet on longer levers (arms and legs) than children have must be greater - but by how much?

I would love a short, succinct, sound and scientific statement!

I think they can. lets say you landed on a strange world and everthing around you was new or different, you would run around in the same way I think.
I just think is a simptom of laziness and saying cant be bothered. I have seen old people run around just like kids do, but the reason the kids dont have heart attacks is that the heart is new and growing. 

Sorry thatīs not scientific. :P 

The Naked Scientists Forum

Adults and children
« Reply #3 on: 02/07/2007 21:20:39 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums