The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: The Scurvy, the Vitamin C and the Blasphemy  (Read 81508 times)

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
The Scurvy, the Vitamin C and the Blasphemy
« Reply #75 on: 16/08/2009 22:38:36 »
My guess is the GBSB is trying to use this as a springboard for his weird ideas and website.
He has already been told many times that the biological role of ascorbic acid is well documented.
Reality doesn't seem to trouble him much.
Nor does the fact that propper science requires him to answer questions.

And yet its us(scientists) that are accused of being narrow-minded for not indulging and draconian when we question.

Offline GBSB

• View Profile
    • Biomechanics and Health
« Reply #76 on: 17/08/2009 23:47:57 »
I came recently on idea about the conection between the hamokcs-hangin bed and the scurvy weil researching the cause for autism and other neurological disorders. That is the reason why I posted after so long time I have started this topic. When I started this topic two years age I wasnít aware of hamocks-hanging bed.

Didnít find any walid argument against my hypotesis but pleanty rude words.
There is no point to future discusion.
You keep your belif ebaut Vitamin C. As wel as you can belive that  vitamin C will prevent  or even cure baldnes.

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 18/08/2009 00:24:20 »
Didnít find any walid argument against my hypotesis but pleanty rude words.
There is no point to future discusion. 
You keep your belif ebaut Vitamin C. As wel as you can belive that  vitamin C will prevent  or even cure baldnes.

There are plenty of valid arguments supported by years of research. As for rude words.... enantiomer isn't a rude word,although I often think it should be.There is no point is future discussion because you are coming out with complete tripe, although it is amusing to read.
I am doing ok on the baldness front thanks, but you could always try believing that hammock beds cure impotence, then rig one up for yourself and sleep on it. That will help your difficulties no end.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 18/08/2009 07:02:05 »

Didn’t find any walid argument against my hypotesis but pleanty rude words.

Look properly.
The fact that guinnea pigs don't sleep in hammocks but do get scurvy proves that sleeping in hammocks doesn't cause scurvy and that your idea is wrong.

As for "There is no point to future discusion.
"
well, until you learn about evidence I guess you are right.
Incidentally, before you go, perhaps you would like to answer the questions I set a year or so ago.

Offline GBSB

• View Profile
    • Biomechanics and Health
« Reply #79 on: 02/08/2010 02:54:22 »
Guinea pig and quack-theory

The facts about experiment on which is based theory that guinea pigs canít synthesise vitamin C.

In 1902, Axel Holst, a Norwegian professor of bacteriology and hygiene who had been concerned at the appearance of what had been diagnosed as beriberi in the crews of Norwegian sailing ships, seized an opportunity to visit Grijns in Batavia and to see his work on chicken polyneuritis. On his return to Oslo, he attempted to obtain a closer model of "ship-beriberi" by using a mammal as his experimental species, and chose guinea pigs. He fed them grains, either whole or milled, and found that they all died within  30 d. When the carcasses were opened he saw "pronounced hemorrhages" and looseness of the molar teeth. Theodor FrŲlich, a pediatrician with experience of infantile scurvy, confirmed that the condition appeared to be scurvy with no evidence of any kind of polyneuritis. The two men then found that the condition was not produced by semistarvation, and that it was prevented by giving two traditional antiscorbutics, lemon juice and fresh cabbage
http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/133/4/975

Before any discusion is usefull to remind of some facts about guinea pigs.

Grass is the guinea pig's natural diet.

Guinea pigs tend to be fickle eaters when it comes to fresh fruits and vegetables, having learned early in life what is and is not appropriate to consume, and their habits are difficult to change after maturity.[

They do not respond well to sudden changes in diet; they may stop eating and starve rather than accepting new food types

A constant supply of hay or other food is generally recommended, as guinea pigs feed continuously and may develop habits such as chewing on their own hair if food is not present

Guinea pigs are prey animals whose survival instinct is to mask pain and signs of illness, and many times health problems may not be apparent until a condition is severe or in its advanced stages.

Treatment of disease is made more difficult by the extreme sensitivity guinea pigs have to most antibiotics, including penicillin, which kill off the intestinal flora and quickly bring on episodes of diarrhea and death
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinea_pigs

Taking in account that grass is guinea pigs natural diet and that grains, either whole or milled isnít, shows that feeding the guinea pigs with grains either whole or milled is actually exposing them to starvations to the some extent and in the same time to the some extent of slow poisoning (semi starvation combined with slow poisoning),

They didnít prevent death of guinea pigs by giving them lemon juice by continuing to feed them with grain, either whole or milled.

They didnít prevent death or reverse condition induced by feeding guinea pigs with the grain by continuing the feeding with grain and cabbage because the guinea pig will ignore the grains, either whole or milled and will eat only cabbage because cabbage is guinea pigs  natural diet and grain, whole or milled is not..

They prevented (condition) guinea pigs from death by giving them, lemon juice and fresh cabbage.

Taking in account that guinea pigs ďdo not respond well to sudden changes in diet; they may stop eating and starve rather than accepting new food typesĒ it is questions how Axel Holst convinced guinea pig to eat grain at all. It is like convince lions to eat broccoli and lemons.

Lion natural diet is meat and if you fed them with broccoli and lemon the lions surly will develop scurvy if he doesnít die before.

This experiment on which is founded theory that gunea pigs canít syntetise  vitamin C can be simply described as; with metod of slow poisioning and semi starvation by guinea pig is induced condition that is treated by discontinuing the starvation and slow poisioning and repleaced with natural diet (cabbage) and aded a drop of snake oil (lemon juice).

Healing and remedial property of the lemon juice and citrus in general the humans discovered long time age only in this case the lemons juice is used as snake oil.

All over the world, students are learning in the schools and universities that the guinea pigs canít synthesise vitamin C. WellÖ here are a few facts about that experiment, on whose theory this is based on, are that guinea pigs canít synthesise vitamin C. http://www.biomechanicsandhealth.com/scurvyandfraud.htm#600345756

Axel Holst and Theodor FrŲlich claimed that they prevented guinea pigs from death by giving them, lemon juice and fresh cabbage.

The fact is that the Guinea pig canít drink lemon juice because the lemon juice is too strongly sour for their tiny little bodies.

It seems too obvious that the ad hoc theory; ďguinea pigs canít synthesise vitamin CĒ is the product of a fraudulent experiment.
http://www.biomechanicsandhealth.com/scurvyandfraud.htm#600345756

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 02/08/2010 06:55:44 »
Oh look!
"The fact is that the Guinea pig canít drink lemon juice because the lemon juice is too strongly sour for their tiny little bodies."
An assertion put forward without any evidence.
Here is the original claim.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_guinea_pigs_drink_lemon_juice
No evidence is offered.

In any event we know which genes it is that the guinea pig lacks that prevent it making vitamin C.

I had hoped this thread full of nonsense had died.
« Last Edit: 02/08/2010 07:05:26 by Bored chemist »

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 02/08/2010 08:37:06 »
It should have done.  I'll be locking it now.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #81 on: 02/08/2010 08:37:06 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums