The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What actually is a microbe?  (Read 8115 times)

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
What actually is a microbe?
« on: 05/07/2007 21:48:44 »
 ???

another_someone

« Reply #1 on: 06/07/2007 01:00:35 »
As I understand it, a microbe, or micro-organism, is simply any organism that is too small to see.  This is a broad class that may have little to do with one another except that we do not normally see them (without the aid of a microscope), and so are not ordinarily aware of their presence.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06/07/2007 18:29:43 »
I thought it was something like that. So this forum is misnamed. It should be "Cells, viruses and other microbes".

another_someone

« Reply #3 on: 06/07/2007 21:06:27 »
I thought it was something like that. So this forum is misnamed. It should be "Cells, viruses and other microbes".

Yes and no.

Since a virus is not normally classed as a living organism, I am not sure if it is or is not classed as a microbe.

Some cells may not necessarily be regarded as microbes (some single cells can be quite large, and a single cell of a multicellular organism would not be regarded as an independent organism, and so would not be regarded as a microbe).  But I do agree that most microbes would already be classified as cells, although some microbes are in fact multicellular organisms themselves.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07/07/2007 00:02:05 »
So a microbe has to be monocellular?

another_someone

« Reply #5 on: 07/07/2007 02:11:13 »
http://www.slic2.wsu.edu:82/hurlbert/micro101/pages/101lab2.html
A number of multicellular microbes exist including nematodes, PINWORMS, TAPEWORMS, HOOKWORMS, TRICHINOSIS and FLUKES. These multicellular forms often can produce stages that are large enough to see without the aid of a microscope. Nematodes are often seen in the pond and aquarium samples you will view.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microorganism
Micro-organisms are generally single-celled, or unicellular organisms; however, there are exceptions as some unicellular protists are visible to the average human, and some multicellular species are microscopic.

All animals are multicellular, however some are too small to be seen by the naked eye. Microscopic arthropods include dust mites, and spider mites, while microscopic crustaceans include copepods and the cladocera. Another common group of microscopic animals are the rotifers, which are filter feeders that are usually found in fresh water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biosphere_2
Many suspected the drop in oxygen was due to microbes in the soil. The agricultural, savanna and rain forest sections had all been infused with microbes in order to encourage plant growth. In addition, the overall quantity of carbon installed in the soil at the beginning of the experiment was too high. It was now felt that these microbes were consuming too much oxygen, converting the carbon in the soil into carbon dioxide and removing the oxygen from the air.

One problem critics of this theory have cited was that microbes breathing that much oxygen would also be creating a massive amount of carbon dioxide. So the jump in CO2 would have been greater than what was actually detected in the atmosphere readings. Further investigation revealed that the concrete at the base of the facility had been absorbing much of this carbon dioxide as it cured. This effect absorbed a large portion of the carbon dioxide being produced by the microbes which in turn had been depleting the facility's oxygen supply.

According to the general biology textbook "Biology" by Neil Campbell and Jane Reece, Biosphere 2 suffered also from CO2 levels that "fluctuated wildly" and that most of the vertebrate species and all of the pollinating insects died. Ants were deliberately introduced since they are a companion to one of the tree species (Cecropia) in the Rain Forest.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07/07/2007 12:04:19 »
Oooh! Now why didn't I think of that?  [:I]

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08/07/2007 17:20:59 »
sumthing realll really small ;)

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #8 on: 16/07/2007 03:41:53 »
ITS WHAT I WEAR BEFORE I GO BED

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16/07/2007 07:41:18 »
ITS WHAT I WEAR BEFORE I GO BED

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26/10/2007 12:44:00 »
West Nile virus is believed to be passed by mosquito, blue tongue virus by midges, ensephalitus lethargica (sleeping sickness by the tetsi fly, IMO aids by the mosquito makes a lot of sense

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 26/10/2007 12:44:00 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums