The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Do fish feel pain when caught?  (Read 35290 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: Do fish feel pain when caught?
« Reply #25 on: 04/05/2004 11:23:43 »
Cheers Roberth.....I respect your honesty....I actually don't have a problem with fishing at all...apart from whaling !!!...err...don't suppose you have caught a whale with your rod !! (oooh..in some respects that could be considered a double-entendre eh ?)

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

Offline roberth

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 05/05/2004 01:10:12 »
Well yes, it could be considered one! We've certainly seen whales while fishing. They're very relaxing to watch, as are the dolphins that ride our bow wave. Catching them is another thing altogether. We tend not to use krill for bait because if they take it, it's too hard to land them.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05/05/2004 01:29:26 »
LOL.....thanks for the giggle !!!

« Last Edit: 13/06/2004 12:37:07 by neilep »

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/wiguyinmn
« Reply #28 on: 05/05/2004 05:58:49 »
Oh common be a man already!!! Its just a whale!

A submarine is NOT a cargo ship!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10/05/2004 21:50:21 »
LOL..Justy....now you're jusy being provocative !! *smiley smile*

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 11/05/2004 02:59:40 »
What do you expect from a man with horns?

Offline Radrook

• View Profile
    • http://varietygalore.com
« Reply #31 on: 13/06/2004 08:24:03 »
I think that it is safe to assume that any animal with a nervous system is capable of feeling pain. Especially those with nervous sdystems similar to our own such as as mammals. They cannot always verbalize that pain. But those who are able to do crie out. If you step on a dog's trail it will yelp. Others will flee away from the discomfort. I recently saw a Baboon eating a fawn alive and the fawn cried out in pain. So did a bull which was being eaten alive by lions. I once caught a fish which had swallowed the hook. As I pulled to dislodge it from its throat I had no reason to assume that the struggling fish felt no pain simply because it was unable to crie out.

Humans can do cruel things to animals based on the no-pain assumption.

Crabs are boiled alive.
They try desperately to leave the pot when the water becomes too hot.
Certain restaurants serve fried live fish.
The fish is still gasping for air as people begin eating its fried body. Why? Ummmm, because it is supposed to taste better that way.
« Last Edit: 13/06/2004 08:28:26 by Radrook »

Offline valley

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 13/06/2004 10:12:57 »
I have no idea whether fish feel pain, but I think there is a danger of confusing "trying to escape stimulus" with "experiencing emotional pain". Of course the fish has receptors that will let its nervous system know that something is wrong and that it should try to escape, but this can all be done without any concious thought at all. It is possible to design a robot that will struggle and try to escape when it is "injured" and I would certainly argue that very simple creatures like worms, which seem to thrash about in agony, are very very unlikely to be experiencing anything that I would consider to be suffering.

In fact, I would suggest that there is no point in developing the brain-power to experience emotional pain unless you have a concious mind that sometimes needs over-ruling by basic physical stimuli.

Offline OmnipotentOne

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 21/06/2004 02:07:14 »
Does there brain size give them the capabilities to feel pain?  I assume it would have to be much more larger and complex to understand that the hook+biting=BAD.  Although I havnt learned nearly anything on different brain lobes, so knowing my guesses, I'm probably wrong!

To see the world through a grain of sand.

Offline qazibasit

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 25/06/2004 16:33:08 »
no what i think is that the fish dont feel the pain coz their brain is not enough developed and they dont have the neural network reaching their brain instead it reach to the ganglia.

Offline echochartruse

• View Profile
Do fish feel pain when caught?
« Reply #35 on: 20/07/2010 03:52:47 »
If fish could only scream!

Offline echochartruse

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 20/07/2010 03:54:19 »
If they didn't feel pain would they have need to be scared, fight to survive, hide?

Offline yor_on

• (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 10/07/2011 06:05:47 »
Pain is general to all animals. You got to be pretty daft to assume that only humans can feel it. It's one of the basic survival mechanisms. What is not as clear is how they treat the feeling. Humans have all kind of ways, we can ignore it, project it at something else, etc, that's because our brain is wired that way. A fish probably don't have those possibilities, although there are some differences in the oceans too :) Octopuses are said to be pretty smart for example. But we don't test fish for their IQ, dolphins possibly, but, on the other hand they're not fish, they're mammals.

But yes, it seems as fish feel pain, just as you do. The science behind whether Fish Feel Pain.

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 11/05/2012 08:47:05 »
Pain seems necessary to stop an animal when it is in the process of damaging itself, even if it isn't always able to remember the experience for future reference. (It sure took my dog a long time to learn to stay away from porcupines, even though he seemed to be in pain afterwards.) I would guess that every animal with a nervous system experiences pain. On the other hand, within an animal, not all tissues are equally sensitive to pain or the same kinds of pain. In an anatomy lecture, I heard a surgeon say he could cauterize your intestine and you wouldnt feel a thing, but if he stretched it, you'd scream, because over stretching is what evolution has made the intestine sensitive to, whereas the intestine almost never encounters extremes in temperature, so it has no pain receptors for that.

Offline D÷ubleHelix

• First timers
  • NERD FEST
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 31/05/2012 01:17:51 »
Someone told me that fish have a 20 second memory.

Have you ever seen the episode of Mythbusters where they train goldfish? You can't train an animal with a 20 second memory. One reason why I think keeping fish in small tanks like so many do is so inhumane. They say it's always a new experience to the fish, but it's not.

EDIT: Also, as far as the debate goes: I believe fish do feel pain. It's a warning system, just like it is for any other animal. I remember when I was younger and I had fish. We had a chinese fighter fish, Orlando, that once got caught in the clip that held the bubbler on the wall of the tank. His back fin got caught, if I remember right. My dad was the one to get him out of it, though. I can't remember whether the fish thrashed or not, or whether he was just still. I'll have to ask my dad about it.

RIP Orlando. (He later died of an infection/tumor that was a result of the accident) :(
« Last Edit: 31/05/2012 01:37:55 by D÷ubleHelix »

Offline D÷ubleHelix

• First timers
  • NERD FEST
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 31/05/2012 01:23:06 »
Once you reach maximum pain level, there is no more, and you kind of lose your mind.  It's like a psychological meltdown.

That's something I've never heard before. Sounds interesting (I find insanity interesting). XD

Offline dueljetty

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 02/10/2012 05:20:12 »
The scientific evidence shows that fish DO feel pain.

They have the same basic nervous system as all other vertebrates, as well as the neural structures associated with pain perception. They also respond behaviourally to pain- they move to the bottom of the tank and sit still. If you give them morphine, they start swimming around normally again.

They are also very intelligent- fish can count, learn tricks, recognise each other and have an excellent memory.

If you want some light reading, check out Do Fish Feel Pain? by Victoria Braithwaite.

For scientific literature, see:
Dunlop, R., Millsopp, S., & Laming, P. (2006). Avoidance learning in goldfish (Carassius auratus) and trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) and implications for pain perception. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 97(2-4), 255-271.
Sneddon, L. U., Braithwaite, V. A., & Gentle, M. J. (2003). Novel object test: examining nociception and fear in the rainbow trout. Journal of Pain, 4(8), 431-440.
Sneddon, L. (2007). Assessing pain perception in fish from physiology to behaviour. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology - Part A: Molecular & Integrative Physiology, 146(4, Supplement 1), S78-S78.

Offline lambosnape

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 07/05/2013 13:04:06 »
If I am a fish, I will.... :-'(
In China, I ever saw some kinds of fish food ...
It directly fried the fish's body(except its head) ...
So horrible!!!:((((

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #42 on: 07/05/2013 13:04:06 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums