The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Showers v baths  (Read 4868 times)

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Showers v baths
« on: 10/07/2007 05:33:15 »
After I've had a shower I feel wide awake & envigorated; but after a bath at the same temperature I feel drowsy. That's why I shower in the mornings & bath at night.

But why is that? If the water is the same temperature, why the different effect?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Showers v baths
« Reply #1 on: 10/07/2007 05:41:08 »
I do not know, but it is true in as much as the same thing goes for me, but if I stay in the shower lean on the wall and just let the water run hot on me back and over me shoulders for an 30 40 minutes, then I feel tired and relaxed as if I had a bath.. when in the tub there is less movement.. everything is slower washing laying back and rinsing hair,, just al together much more relaxed. My typical shower on the go is hop in soap up wash hair vigorous movement.and rinse and swish hair back and fourth bend wash lowers etc. rinse scrub wash rinse scrub rinse all done.. jump out .. LOL energy to go! Maybe I conclude because a shower induces more activity then does a bath as far as the movement is concerned!
« Last Edit: 10/07/2007 07:27:35 by Karen W. »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
Showers v baths
« Reply #2 on: 10/07/2007 05:42:38 »
That's a possibility.

paul.fr

Showers v baths
« Reply #3 on: 10/07/2007 07:20:35 »
by showering in the morning you are relaxing the muscles that had gone stiff during your sleep, That along with all of the body motions, arms lifting to wash etc, is increasing the flow of blood around those muscles. This is refreshing and "wakes you up".

On the other hand, bathing last thing at night. you are basically laid there with little exertion, that along with the nice relaxing temperature of the water has a calming effect.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Showers v baths
« Reply #4 on: 10/07/2007 07:29:16 »
LOL! Morning Paul!

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
Showers v baths
« Reply #5 on: 10/07/2007 08:23:48 »
It might also be the different effects on your blood flow between full immersion and showering. In a shower, you're only locally immersed. In a bath, you have near enough full immersion. When I get out of a bath, my skin is slightly redder due to the heat and as a result of my body putting blood nearer the surface to lose some of this, and reduce the core temperature. My train of thought therefore is that this oxygenated blood is moved away from central processing and therefore reduces the level of oxygen going to the brain. This would result in an increase in drowsiness. In a shower, your body core temperature is not increased by the same amount, you don't have this alteration of blood flow, hence no increase in drowsiness.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
Showers v baths
« Reply #6 on: 10/07/2007 12:00:19 »
I suppose it could also depend on who is in the bath or shower with you  ;)

paul.fr

Showers v baths
« Reply #7 on: 10/07/2007 12:02:23 »
I suppose it could also depend on who is in the bath or shower with you  ;)

hence my bit about increased blood flow, arms lifting to wash etc and waking up..erm..not loose  [:I]

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
Showers v baths
« Reply #8 on: 10/07/2007 12:07:27 »
 :D

another_someone

Showers v baths
« Reply #9 on: 10/07/2007 12:13:28 »
Not only are you more in contact with a larger body of water in the bath, but as the droplets of water have a large surface area, and even more so as the explode on impact with your skin, they rapidly lose heat.

I very rarely have baths (morning or evening), but I do like my showers very warm.  The difference between morning and evening is that in the morning, I will have the shower even a little warmer, but the rinse off with cold water (thus causing the capillaries to close off rapidly, so reducing heat loss after I get out of the shower, and retaining more core temperature, as well as raising my blood pressure, which the warm environment is likely to lower).

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
Showers v baths
« Reply #10 on: 10/07/2007 23:09:47 »
I like to relax in a bath but wash in a shower.

Offline Mr Andrew

• God was primitive man's attempt at Physics.
    • View Profile
Showers v baths
« Reply #11 on: 10/07/2007 23:28:27 »
It seems to me that almost everyone agrees that bathing is more relaxing than showering.  The question arises as to how to take the most relaxing bath and the most envigorating shower.  I, like many people, shower in the morning not only to rinse off all of the filth I have accumulated since my last shower but to wake up quickly so I can get on with my day.  What would be the best way to do this?  Everyone seems agreed that it is the increased body motion required to shower rather than bath that is envigorating so a quick shower seems in order.  What about the water?  I take hot showers but are cold showers better?  Or possibly hot and then cold as another_someone suggested?  I know that after I have had the hot water on for five minutes or so the shower is filled with steam.  It always seems to me that when this happens the hot water loses its enervating effect.  I also know people who take hot showers because the warm water opens the pores in the skin and provides for a better cleansing because it frees all the gunk trapped in there.  Maybe if this were combined with the cold water finish, it would seal the pores to incoming filth and prevent further accumulation until the next shower.  I am going to test these ideas out next time I shower in the morning.  Sounds like a good experiment to me.

paul.fr

Showers v baths
« Reply #12 on: 11/07/2007 01:30:11 »
Don't cold showers also increase sperm production? Could people who regularly take cold showers be subconsciously doing it for that purpose? Could increased sperm production cause you to feel invigorated?

another_someone

Showers v baths
« Reply #13 on: 11/07/2007 02:25:14 »
Don't cold showers also increase sperm production? Could people who regularly take cold showers be subconsciously doing it for that purpose? Could increased sperm production cause you to feel invigorated?

Not sure that it increases sperm production so much as increasing sperm longevity - but I may be wrong about that.

In any case, I think you are mixing up the effects of testosterone with sperm production.  Not sure why sperm production would have any impact on mood, but testosterone levels I suspect would do so (just as female hormones have their effect on the monthly mood swings).

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
Showers v baths
« Reply #14 on: 11/07/2007 07:33:17 »

That may be so - but cold water has a detrimental effect on another part of a male's anatomy important to reproduction!

Offline Mr Andrew

• God was primitive man's attempt at Physics.
    • View Profile
Showers v baths
« Reply #15 on: 11/07/2007 15:25:00 »
I know that a group of men in Norway (or Sweden or Denmark...I'm not sure) proved that bathing male parts in hot water every day decreases sperm count.  It is not unreasonable that cold water would do the opposite though there might also be a "hot zone" so to speak in which sperm count is highest and going past that in either direction is detrimental.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Showers v baths
« Reply #15 on: 11/07/2007 15:25:00 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums