The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Hair...  (Read 3905 times)

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
  • Simulated..What more do you needa know :P
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Hair...
« on: 11/07/2007 21:05:24 »
Why do we have so much of it? Hair on our heads, hair above our top lip, hair on the sides of our heads...hair on our amrs, legs, back, stomach, arm pits, (I don't know if everyone has this, but right before your butt hole lol), hair that grows between our eye brows (how can you get ride of that stuff i'm tired of it lol)(not that noticeable, but i don't like it), hair above our stuff. LoL, hair on our hands. What is the point of all this hair?

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Hair...
« Reply #1 on: 11/07/2007 21:25:11 »
It's vestigial from the days when we were somewhat more hirsuite and lived outdoors. Hair on the body traps air & helps to insulate it against the cold.

another_someone

Hair...
« Reply #2 on: 11/07/2007 22:48:48 »
I don't think it is all just old history we have not yet discarded.

We were discussing not long ago about the benefits that eye brows still give us (it was decided that they protect they eyes from sweat and rain).

I suspect that hair beneath the arm pits and in the groin area might help disperse pheromones.

Hair on the head might yet help protect against the Sun (probably more so than keeping the head warm in winter - although both may still be the case).

Facial hair is I suspect no more than sexual dimorphism - a way of displaying sexuality.

Body hair, I can think of a number of possible purposes, including possibly agreeing that it has no contemporary purpose.

• While the degree of insulation it provides is very slight in comparison to that provided for other animals, it may yet provide some (there are times when I have felt warmer without a shirt than with a light shirt that can flatten my body hair).
  • It might provide a conduit for capillary action that might help sweat evaporate, and so help cool the body.
  • Like facial hair, it might provide a degree of sexual dimorphism.
  • None of the above.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Hair...
« Reply #3 on: 11/07/2007 23:12:16 »
Yeah, that too  :D

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
  • Simulated..What more do you needa know :P
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Hair...
« Reply #4 on: 12/07/2007 02:31:34 »
Well I'm sorry I put it in the wrong area. I sware I saw one that said do all animals sleep. Lol>

The Naked Scientists Forum

Hair...
« Reply #4 on: 12/07/2007 02:31:34 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums