The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why can't women throw?  (Read 10530 times)

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Why can't women throw?
« on: 13/07/2007 09:04:14 »
We've all seen it. A woman throwing something looks like a badly-made puppet with elastic instead of strings. Arms go in random directions totally unassociated with where they want the projectile to go.

The exception to this is when the throwing is preceded by their demand to know "Do you know what time it is?" or "Where the hell have you been?". In these circumstances the projetile invariably hurtles at supersonic speed in a dead straight line to strike the target exactly between the eyes.

So, why is it that under non-naughty-husband-induced conditions women cannot throw things? Are their muscles and bones aligned differently from men's? Is it psychological (a deeper part of their brain is shouting "I must not throw! I must not throw!" thus causing a conflict between intent & action)? Please, dear erudite TNSers, enlighten me.

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
Why can't women throw?
« Reply #1 on: 13/07/2007 09:49:41 »
Does it harp back to the hunter/gatherer vrs. homemaker physiology?

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
Why can't women throw?
« Reply #2 on: 13/07/2007 10:10:13 »
Are you suggesting that women retain more prehistoric traits then men?

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Why can't women throw?
« Reply #3 on: 13/07/2007 10:13:32 »
Ug?

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
Why can't women throw?
« Reply #4 on: 13/07/2007 10:21:00 »

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Why can't women throw?
« Reply #5 on: 13/07/2007 10:21:45 »
OOgaoogaooga!!!!

paul.fr

Why can't women throw?
« Reply #6 on: 13/07/2007 10:30:07 »
i believe it has to do with the shape of the object. Any woman with a round object does struggle, but give her something with a handle...

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
Why can't women throw?
« Reply #7 on: 13/07/2007 10:32:36 »
i believe it has to do with the shape of the object. Any woman with a round object does struggle, but give her something with a handle...

or an ashtray  [B)]

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Why can't women throw?
« Reply #8 on: 13/07/2007 10:35:37 »
OOgaoogaooga!!!!

I will have you know it is because firstly they don't practice and secondly I used to throw as good as most men! My distance was a bit closer as I did not have the strength to throw as far but I could sail a baseball good straight and from Home plate on a baseball diamond to any one of the right left or center field posistions! It was hard from further out.  Best was to pitchers mound.  I loved throwing and was good at it. I practiced with my husband as he played and with my boys as they played. I threw hard and pretty precise. I had a high school girlfriend who could put any boy to shame with her fast thrown spinner! she was excellent!!! LOL I could also slam that thing with the bat too! No one ever messed with me.. I was not twiggy in the muscle department! LOL

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Why can't women throw?
« Reply #9 on: 13/07/2007 10:37:05 »
The only thing I ever threw was an ice tea in a plastic bottle 12 ouncer! LOL... and it was open.. LOL

paul.fr

Why can't women throw?
« Reply #10 on: 13/07/2007 10:37:54 »
i always thought they were waving at me.
« Last Edit: 13/07/2007 10:40:56 by paul.fr »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Why can't women throw?
« Reply #11 on: 13/07/2007 10:39:40 »
LOL LOL! did you get hit?

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
Why can't women throw?
« Reply #12 on: 13/07/2007 10:43:02 »
OOgaoogaooga!!!!

I will have you know it is because firstly they don't practice and secondly I used to throw as good as most men! My distance was a bit closer as I did not have the strength to throw as far but I could sail a baseball good straight and from Home plate on a baseball diamond to any one of the right left or center field posistions! It was hard from further out.  Best was to pitchers mound.  I loved throwing and was good at it. I practiced with my husband as he played and with my boys as they played. I threw hard and pretty precise. I had a high school girlfriend who could put any boy to shame with her fast thrown spinner! she was excellent!!! LOL I could also slam that thing with the bat too! No one ever messed with me.. I was not twiggy in the muscle department! LOL

Every rule has exceptions  :D

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Why can't women throw?
« Reply #13 on: 13/07/2007 10:49:05 »
OOgaoogaooga!!!!

Every rule has exceptions  :D

Yes they do!! LOL LOL

Offline elegantlywasted

• View Profile
    • Deviant Art
Why can't women throw?
« Reply #14 on: 16/07/2007 01:21:35 »
I'm going to pretend that this isnt a chauvantistic question and due my best to explain.

Men IN GENERAL throw better than women due to muscle mass, and probably because they are taught the proper movements more often than girls are. For the second  part: When hubby is being "less than perfect" funneling that frustration and adrenaline into a throw is pretty easy.

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Why can't women throw?
« Reply #15 on: 16/07/2007 02:52:48 »
or it could be that simply, women couldn't care less!

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
Why can't women throw?
« Reply #16 on: 16/07/2007 03:49:38 »
Probably because as they grow up they dont try all them silly things that boys do which requires arms and legs to reach strain,kick,punch etc at every angle possible. Our bodies just get used to doing things which there's dont . Whens the last you saw a girl climb a tree or have a play fight..

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Why can't women throw?
« Reply #17 on: 16/07/2007 05:13:57 »
 Yesterday before my niece left to go home to Idaho! LOL She was in the top of my bay trees sitting in the perch both of my boys.. My daughter never did that I know of.. LOL sat in! LOL. My sister is a tree climber and loved climbing trees or anything for that matter!

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
Why can't women throw?
« Reply #18 on: 16/07/2007 07:38:16 »
Probably because as they grow up they dont try all them silly things that boys do which requires arms and legs to reach strain,kick,punch etc at every angle possible. Our bodies just get used to doing things which there's dont . Whens the last you saw a girl climb a tree or have a play fight..

Yesterday (Sunday)

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Why can't women throw?
« Reply #19 on: 16/07/2007 23:58:31 »
 [:I]

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Why can't women throw?
« Reply #20 on: 17/07/2007 02:35:36 »
LOL...Girls are as active as boys it just depends on the girl! Thats all! LOL

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Why can't women throw?
« Reply #21 on: 17/07/2007 02:37:34 »
I never had a problem climbing up into a tree! It was always the getting out of the tree I struggled with.. I remember being hopelessly stuck in huge tree at me grandmas.. Oh how embarrassing! LOL!

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Why can't women throw?
« Reply #22 on: 17/07/2007 03:30:40 »
I never had a problem climbing up into a tree! It was always the getting out of the tree I struggled with.. I remember being hopelessly stuck in huge tree at me grandmas.. Oh how embarrassing! LOL!

Many years ago when i was 16 a girl i knew but wasnt going out with followed me over a wooden fence, as she jumped down she caught the back of her dress on the top of the fence. As you can imagine the dress ended up around her shoulders with no more than her knickers covering up her body. 

She was embarassed especally as she was stuck for 5 minutes as i tried to free her and her dress.

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Why can't women throw?
« Reply #23 on: 17/07/2007 03:30:57 »
We've all seen it. A woman throwing something looks like a badly-made puppet with elastic instead of strings. Arms go in random directions totally unassociated with where they want the projectile to go.

The exception to this is when the throwing is preceded by their demand to know "Do you know what time it is?" or "Where the hell have you been?". In these circumstances the projetile invariably hurtles at supersonic speed in a dead straight line to strike the target exactly between the eyes.

So, why is it that under non-naughty-husband-induced conditions women cannot throw things? Are their muscles and bones aligned differently from men's? Is it psychological (a deeper part of their brain is shouting "I must not throw! I must not throw!" thus causing a conflict between intent & action)? Please, dear erudite TNSers, enlighten me.

I will have you know that I was an allstar ball player for many many years!!!  I could throw harder and more accurately than most males I knew.  In my 40's I still throw quite well.  

Hubby has a flat spot in the back of his head cos he made me mad and I threw a glass bottle at him and beamed in the head.....I've mellowed in the last 19 years. [:I]

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Why can't women throw?
« Reply #24 on: 17/07/2007 07:01:24 »
See I said it just depends on the women! LOL...

OUCH Carolyn!! WOW!!! LOL

The Naked Scientists Forum

Why can't women throw?
« Reply #24 on: 17/07/2007 07:01:24 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums