The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: MONITER SIZE  (Read 5851 times)

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
MONITER SIZE
« on: 15/07/2007 01:04:24 »
How big do monitors go, ive got a 22inch and the work area is nice but if i were to go much bigger would the picture suffer, is their a limit apart from cost.

another_someone

MONITER SIZE
« Reply #1 on: 15/07/2007 02:07:45 »
There are practical limits to CRTs, but you can get pretty large LCDs, and then even put a plasma screen, or back projection screen, onto a PC.

The problems I can see are twofold.

Firstly, if it gets too big, you will need to stand well back to see it all, and that would kind of defeat the point.

The other issue is that there is no point in increasing the screen size (for personal use - assuming you are not looking to use the screen for training, or other situations where several people may need to view it at once) unless you also increase the pixel count, otherwise you will just be increasing the pixel size until it becomes too obvious.

Ofcourse, if you increase the pixel count, you may have to reduce the refresh rate (only really a problem these days if you are playing games - modern LCDs and Plasma screens don't flicker with low refresh rates the way CRTs did).

Very large LCDs will have trouble getting even illumination, but at that point it is better to get a plasma screen.

Had a quick look at Dabs, and the largest screen they sell is a 50 inch Sony plasma screen for over £2.6K

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4FSB&CategorySelectedId=11109&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11109,43930000

But the screen above only has 1366 x 768 definition, whereas the following 30 inch screen has 2560 x 1600 resolution, and only costs just over £1K

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4JXH&CategorySelectedId=11109&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11109,408240000
« Last Edit: 15/07/2007 02:20:30 by another_someone »

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
  • Simulated..What more do you needa know :P
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
MONITER SIZE
« Reply #2 on: 15/07/2007 02:53:15 »
Um Plasma's burn in. And I don't think that would work for a computer screen. Do they actually make them? I've hooked our computers pu to your plasma haha it was like "Life size Sims!"

another_someone

MONITER SIZE
« Reply #3 on: 15/07/2007 05:36:58 »
Early CRTs suffered burn in as well - but it didn't stop them being used (but that is why screen savers were invented).

The 50 inch screen I quoted is dual function, although it does have a PC VGA (HD-15) connector, so may not necessarily be primarily targeted at the PC market; but Sony also have a 42 inch plasma screen:

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4514&CategorySelectedId=11109&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11109,43930000

This only has DVI and VGA (HD-15) connectors, and is clearly targeted directly at the PC user.  It is 1024 x 768 definition, which is a PC monitor definition (although I would question whether it is adequate for such a large screen).  Price is £1.2K.

paul.fr

MONITER SIZE
« Reply #4 on: 15/07/2007 07:05:47 »
It depends on what you want from your monitor. yu can hook your pc up to a nice big plasma, but these are no good if you are a gamer, so im told. Also as previously mentioned, plasma does tend to burn out quite quickly and leave horrible black or green marks on the screen.

On the other hand, i know someone who has their pc hooked up to a 48 inch flat screen lcd and the quality is superb. But, like george says, you do have to stand/sit well back from the screen.

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
MONITER SIZE
« Reply #5 on: 15/07/2007 15:23:58 »
Ours is like um from a 48-52. It worked just right for my game look prefect.

So burn-in is black and green marks? I thought it leaves the same image on the screen forever. What is the red, green, and blue pixleation? We have that on ours all the time. It goes away though.

paul.fr

MONITER SIZE
« Reply #6 on: 15/07/2007 15:26:32 »
you can have the burnt image, if you leave say a page on your screen for some time. you can also have burns where they just leave what looks like dirty red or black marks.

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
MONITER SIZE
« Reply #7 on: 15/07/2007 15:30:01 »
Oh so our tv has not burnt yet. That's good. LoL. Thanks for clearing this all up. We've only had it for not that long. I was used to a like a 36 box. LoL. Now we have this huge tv.

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
MONITER SIZE
« Reply #8 on: 15/07/2007 17:42:24 »
At the moment as i like to do lots of video editing i'm using two screens at once a 22inch and a 17 inch side by side but dont like the difference is visual quality between the two (you cant notice it in the pic )so was just wondering if it was worth me getting another 22inch or one big screen on its own.

« Last Edit: 15/07/2007 18:04:04 by ukmicky »

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
MONITER SIZE
« Reply #9 on: 16/07/2007 08:27:16 »
To get a really big image, use a projector!

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
MONITER SIZE
« Reply #10 on: 16/07/2007 08:45:51 »
At the moment as i like to do lots of video editing i'm using two screens at once a 22inch and a 17 inch side by side but dont like the difference is visual quality between the two (you cant notice it in the pic )so was just wondering if it was worth me getting another 22inch or one big screen on its own.

The guy who built my computer said he would come hook up my other two monitors anytime I was ready.. LOL it would be handy!

Doing some scuba looking eh?? LOL BTW thats the cleanest desl I have ever seen! LOL...

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
MONITER SIZE
« Reply #11 on: 16/07/2007 08:58:44 »
It also looks as though Micheal has 4 NGK spark plugs on the desk. Why, I wonder?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
MONITER SIZE
« Reply #12 on: 16/07/2007 09:04:15 »
You would be shocked at whats on my desk.. ! LOL I bet he is fixing to change plugs etc in his car!..

paul.fr

MONITER SIZE
« Reply #13 on: 16/07/2007 09:29:09 »
i would go for a nice big lcd screen. but don't bother with plasma.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
MONITER SIZE
« Reply #14 on: 16/07/2007 09:32:28 »
I wouldn't know the difference!

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
MONITER SIZE
« Reply #15 on: 17/07/2007 03:10:26 »
It also looks as though Micheal has 4 NGK spark plugs on the desk. Why, I wonder?
you know your plugs :) . Trouble with car ,it keeps hesitating under light accelerator load. Fiquired i would give it a service before i check for vacuum leaks etc.

BTW thats the cleanest desl I have ever seen! LOL...

Its in my living room, wifey moans if i let it get in a mess.:)

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
MONITER SIZE
« Reply #16 on: 17/07/2007 04:58:06 »
She'd really moan if it looked like mine! LOL Mine is horrible! I keep saying I will organize it.. but I haven't yet! I have only added to it! One of these days!

you know your plugs :) . Trouble with car ,it keeps hesitating under light accelerator load. Fiquired i would give it a service before i check for vacuum leaks etc.

BTW thats the cleanest desl I have ever seen! LOL...

Its in my living room, wifey moans if i let it get in a mess.:)

Is it possible that it is missing or just hesitating Your car that is..? Sometimes a clogged fuel filter can cause some hesitating and missing, or spark plugs.. Check your fuel filter.. how long has it been on there? It may be gunky! They are generally easy to change!

Then you need to check your air filter also. If your car is newer and fuel injected, then get a good quality fuel injector cleaner that you add to the gas. Don't buy a cheap one they are no good! Get a good one and dump her in, they are pricey but efficient!

I am trying to think of what else might cause that.. If I do I  will write you back!
« Last Edit: 17/07/2007 05:03:45 by Karen W. »

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
MONITER SIZE
« Reply #17 on: 17/07/2007 09:43:26 »

What car is it? I have any amount of experience of cars not doing what they should, plus I used to work for a company that sold NGK......

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
MONITER SIZE
« Reply #18 on: 17/07/2007 09:50:03 »
Seems like the pcv valve could cause trouble like that also..I don't even know if they make catyletic converters any more.. Probably do!

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
MONITER SIZE
« Reply #19 on: 17/07/2007 21:21:24 »

Ford fiesta RS TURBO. i've had it for 13teen years and this is the first time its had any problems.

What car is it? I have any amount of experience of cars not doing what they should, plus I used to work for a company that sold NGK......

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
MONITER SIZE
« Reply #20 on: 18/07/2007 03:32:32 »
If the plugs don't do it.. take it to a repair and have them hook it up to the diagnosis scanner.. you may have a badiac( idle air control) or and oxygen sensor may be bad.. there are lots of things given the year of your vehicle.. was it new when you purchased it? What year is it?

The Naked Scientists Forum

MONITER SIZE
« Reply #20 on: 18/07/2007 03:32:32 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums