The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Ok salt and water  (Read 7326 times)

jolly

Ok salt and water
« on: 18/07/2007 19:59:25 »
          I have today, undertaken an experiment! I put salt and water together 10 Cl and 2 grams.
Now I have left it to evaporate in the sun.
Now, if there is less salt than the 2 grams I mixed after the evaporation, what happened to it? I think I will finally prove that salt evaporates with water!!!!!

Moderator: Sorry, Jolly, But if you have a problem with Paul's judgement, and feel he has acted inappropriately, you should take that matter offline - either PM him with your concerns, or PM another moderator if you feel you need a second opinion, but in the interim you will just have to go along with it.  If you feel you can just ignore the moderators, then so would everybody else, and we are just left with anarchy.
« Last Edit: 18/07/2007 23:55:09 by another_someone »

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Ok salt and water
« Reply #1 on: 19/07/2007 12:03:57 »
          I have today, undertaken an experiment! I put salt and water together 10 Cl and 2 grams.
Now, if there is less salt than the 2 grams I mixed after the evaporation, what happened to it? I think I will finally prove that salt evaporates with water!!!!!

Moderator: Sorry, Jolly, But if you have a problem with Paul's judgement, and feel he has acted inappropriately, you should take that matter offline - either PM him with your concerns, or PM another moderator if you feel you need a second opinion, but in the interim you will just have to go along with it.  If you feel you can just ignore the moderators, then so would everybody else, and we are just left with anarchy.
I think you will find more than 2 grams of solid substance after evaporation: the salt you put + the mineral salts there already was in the water.

Offline eric l

• View Profile
Ok salt and water
« Reply #2 on: 19/07/2007 12:39:02 »
To what precision are you going to weigh after evaporation ?  (To what precision have you weighed your salt before ?)
If you find more than 2 grams after evaporation, it may also be due to "fixed" water, either crystal water or "embedded" water (trapped inside the conglomerate).
And salt will evaporate :  it has a vapour pressure just like any other substance.  But the amount evaporated during the time of your experiment will be in the nanogrammes range. 

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Ok salt and water
« Reply #3 on: 19/07/2007 19:11:14 »
To what precision are you going to weigh after evaporation ?  (To what precision have you weighed your salt before ?)
Ah, yes, measurement precision is the key question!
If you find more than 2 grams after evaporation, it may also be due to "fixed" water, either crystal water or "embedded" water (trapped inside the conglomerate).
What is "crystal water" or "embedded water"?
And salt will evaporate :  it has a vapour pressure just like any other substance.  But the amount evaporated during the time of your experiment will be in the nanogrammes range. 
Of course.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Ok salt and water
« Reply #4 on: 19/07/2007 19:20:17 »
"What is "crystal water" or "embedded water"?"
Water of crystalisation and the water that gets trapped as tiny drops in imperfections in the crystal.
These don't really matter since they would give a weight gain and the proposed "idea" says there will be a weight loss. In fact there will be a slight gain due to impurities in the water.

jolly

Ok salt and water
« Reply #5 on: 19/07/2007 19:42:19 »

Oh that anarchy; and there is so much of it about these days; and I do not feel anything, I just like to respond, he may moderate, I do not agree with his sentiment, though I except his opinion! It was just a joke, and hopefully "she" will see it that way, I never intend to upset anyone, it just happens. :)

Ah, yes, measurement precision is the key question!
What is "crystal water" or "embedded water"?
Of course.

Well what do you do if I have less Salt? What does that mean? I have used tap water I wished to used distilled, but saw a tap and some salt and thought what the hell.

So other than evaporation what else could be the cause of there being less salt?

How about, we all do the ´evaporate Salt water experiment´ and compare notes?
« Last Edit: 19/07/2007 19:45:20 by jolly »

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Ok salt and water
« Reply #6 on: 20/07/2007 13:44:38 »
"What is "crystal water" or "embedded water"?"
Water of crystalisation and the water that gets trapped as tiny drops in imperfections in the crystal.
These don't really matter since they would give a weight gain and the proposed "idea" says there will be a weight loss. In fact there will be a slight gain due to impurities in the water.
Thank you.

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Ok salt and water
« Reply #7 on: 20/07/2007 13:49:33 »
Well what do you do if I have less Salt? What does that mean?
It means that you didn't collect all the residual solid to weigh it or that the weigh measure was not precise. How many measures did you perform? Which was the percent loss of salt? Which scale did you use? What was your exact procedure, from the beginning to the end?

jolly

Ok salt and water
« Reply #8 on: 22/07/2007 14:02:20 »
Well what do you do if I have less Salt? What does that mean?
It means that you didn't collect all the residual solid to weigh it or that the weigh measure was not precise. How many measures did you perform? Which was the percent loss of salt? Which scale did you use? What was your exact procedure, from the beginning to the end?

ERR... HERES A REASON:

Experiment one- the monk knocked over the dish! I was, at the time, not aware of that fact.

Experiment two- the cleaning women knocked over dish(which I had placed somewhere else to stop the monk knocking it over- Which I saw straight away!

Experiment three- no-one knocked it over all water evaporated and I had more salt than I started with... I´m laughing at it. ;D

The Naked Scientists Forum

Ok salt and water
« Reply #8 on: 22/07/2007 14:02:20 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length