The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Does Repeating A word Seem To negate the Meaning ?  (Read 5002 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Greetings,

Why does saying a word over and over again seem to have the effect of making It meaningless ?

We've all done it !!

what's the science behind that ?

I'm asking cos me wants to know !!

another_someone

Why Does Repeating A word Seem To negate the Meaning ?
« Reply #1 on: 18/07/2007 22:56:58 »
It does not of itself negate the meaning of the word, it merely devalues it, as an excess of anything cause the value of the thing to diminish.

True, there are cases where cultural changes will cause the meaning of a word to be negated (the modern use of the word 'wicked' in a positive sense; or the word 'awful' in a negative sense).

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18/07/2007 23:01:31 »
Thank you for the clarification of my ill use of the word ' negate' .........yes ' diminish' is better here....

....now if I say diminish about a thirty times ...then it, itself will also become the sum of it's meaning !

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18/07/2007 23:08:35 »
i just tried. i can't say diminish thirty times after about twelve i got tongue tied

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18/07/2007 23:27:36 »
i just tried. i can't say diminish thirty times after about twelve i got tongue tied

THANK EWE KADIE !

This is also fascinating !!...as a firm believer in empirical study I too just tried to say ' diminish ' many times and also found myself tongue tied !!........this also now then begs the question as to what is also happening to the ' mechanics' of repetition that lead to the mispronunciation of a word or phrase that is repeated many times !!

Heronumber0

« Reply #5 on: 18/07/2007 23:36:08 »
This is a bit strange.  I thought that repetition of an action created well established neural networks which allowed faster access to that action.  However I wonder if another part of the brain that gets 'bored' with excessive repetition of a word and then clamps down on these neural networks in a negative regulation?

another_someone

« Reply #6 on: 18/07/2007 23:51:34 »
This is a bit strange.  I thought that repetition of an action created well established neural networks which allowed faster access to that action.  However I wonder if another part of the brain that gets 'bored' with excessive repetition of a word and then clamps down on these neural networks in a negative regulation?

Are you talking about repetition over a short of long period of time - it takes a long time for new neural connections to be made.

Heronumber0

« Reply #7 on: 19/07/2007 00:00:33 »
That is a good point.  I was referring to NLP sort of repetition where it would take a relatively long time to learn. Or, I suppose, learning to catch a ball and using motor memory which I guess would be faster.  However, I see your point. Short term repetition would not allow that sort of learning would it?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19/07/2007 10:45:18 »
There is still the nature of the loss of diction then to understand!..I clearly have no clue.

Hmmmmmmmm..........  Could it be though a natural proclivity to become lazy when citing a word or phrase over and oer again...thus leading to a clumsy mouth ! ?

If I speak clearly and slowly and concentrate...repetition is manageable !

whajafink ?

paul.fr

« Reply #9 on: 19/07/2007 10:49:00 »
There is still the nature of the loss of diction then to understand!..I clearly have no clue.

Hmmmmmmmm..........  Could it be though a natural proclivity to become lazy when citing a word or phrase over and oer again...thus leading to a clumsy mouth ! ?

If I speak clearly and slowly and concentrate...repetition is manageable !

whajafink ?

you already said that   ;)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19/07/2007 10:49:28 »
LOL !!

paul.fr

« Reply #11 on: 19/07/2007 10:52:49 »
Greetings,

Why does saying a word over and over again seem to have the effect of making It meaningless ?

two possible answers.

1: you are saying NO to the children over and over again, this and the word becomes meaningless because you always give in and NO becomes YES.

2: you are asking a woman "certain" questions and she is replying NO. No amount of repetition will convince you that she really means yes

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20/07/2007 13:56:37 »
Try to do the same thing, but *feeling* something instead of saying it. Do this way: try to feel it completely, than do or think to something else, then feel again that thing, then think to something else...ecc for a while.

Do it with something that is a bit annoying for you.
Then tell me what happened.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #13 on: 21/07/2007 22:42:30 »
Apparently Victoria Beckham is very fond of the word "major" now. In her highly sucessful and extremely well received documentary - which has allegedly also been a big hit with American service personnel...who are using it whilst "interviewing" insurgents in Iraq - apparently the confession rate has never been so high - she used the word major about 5million times. Sorry, major exaggeration, but she is majorly annoying. I've heard.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #13 on: 21/07/2007 22:42:30 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length