The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: IF An Ostrich Could Fly ?..How Big The Wingspan ?  (Read 8385 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Imagine if ewe will Ostriches soaring high and gracefully in the sky !..LOL !!....ewe would not want to be crapped on one from a great height would ya ?

So, assuming said Ostriches could fly and soar like an Albatross......how wide would the wingspan be ?

What about Hummingbird Ostriches ? ?..LOL !..I expect they would have to flap pretty darn fast !!

whajafink ?

another_someone

IF An Ostrich Could Fly ?..How Big The Wingspan ?
« Reply #1 on: 19/07/2007 02:16:00 »
I suspect that it is too heavy to have enough muscle power to achieve powered flight, but with a sufficient wing span, I imagine it could glide (if it threw itself off a cliff).

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19/07/2007 09:25:16 »
Assuming that the muscular build of the ostrich did not have to change in order to fly, therefore weight remains constant, the weight of an ostrich is 150kg, and under the caveat that the dataset might not be the best in the world:

I did a small model with a stats program and using a simple linear regression analysis, it would appear that the ratio of wingspan (cm) to weight (g) is 108.14 + 0.011*weight (This gives an R value of 0.72, which considering, isn't too bad!). Extrapolating this regression gives the wingspan required of an ostrich to be 108.14 + (0.011*150000) = 1758.14 cm or 17.5 metres or nearly 60ft.

KFO anyone?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19/07/2007 09:51:22 »
I suspect that it is too heavy to have enough muscle power to achieve powered flight, but with a sufficient wing span, I imagine it could glide (if it threw itself off a cliff).

THANK YOU George.

LOL.....why does your comment make me think of suicidal Ostriches ?...

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19/07/2007 09:55:13 »
Assuming that the muscular build of the ostrich did not have to change in order to fly, therefore weight remains constant, the weight of an ostrich is 150kg, and under the caveat that the dataset might not be the best in the world:

I did a small model with a stats program and using a simple linear regression analysis, it would appear that the ratio of wingspan (cm) to weight (g) is 108.14 + 0.011*weight (This gives an R value of 0.72, which considering, isn't too bad!). Extrapolating this regression gives the wingspan required of an ostrich to be 108.14 + (0.011*150000) = 1758.14 cm or 17.5 metres or nearly 60ft.

KFO anyone?

WOW !!...that is a big wingspan which, although expected to be wide, and I understand an educated guestimate based on your calculations, I am most greatful for your kind attempt to actually figure it out..THANK YOU very much indeed.

Yes please.....I'll have a fillet burger !

I have eaten Ostrich......It's a red meat....a bit gamey....good for ewe...low in fat...... I couldn't enjoy it though.........cos..it's....well...Ostrich !!  ;D

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19/07/2007 10:03:00 »
Yes, there's a big trend towards ostrich farming. But how the **** do you plant them?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19/07/2007 10:07:03 »
Yes, there's a big trend towards ostrich farming. But how the **** do you plant them?

LOL...!..aren;t they self planting ?

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19/07/2007 10:14:35 »
Did anyone else see that helicopter?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19/07/2007 10:28:27 »
Yes !..yes!!..I saw it !!.. it went that way !!

another_someone

« Reply #9 on: 19/07/2007 11:52:27 »

KFO anyone?

Even without the issue of increased muscle mass, you have to remember to take into account the weight of the now extended wings themselves.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19/07/2007 11:56:23 »
Wasn't your average pterodactyl just a big flying ostrich ?

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19/07/2007 12:00:40 »

KFO anyone?

Even without the issue of increased muscle mass, you have to remember to take into account the weight of the now extended wings themselves.

I think that there are a number of other elements that cause an enormous amount of error in the model. The actual wings are as light as possible and don't make up much of the mass of the bird, tyically 5-10%. I think the model errors make this 5-10% error redundant. But call it 20 m if you want! They're still damn big!

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19/07/2007 12:05:41 »
Wasn't your average pterodactyl just a big flying ostrich ?

IIRC the pterosaurs ranged from a couple of feet up to 35 to 45 feet. I've no idea as to their weight though. And they weren't feathered either, so more like big scary scoobydoo bats.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19/07/2007 20:29:54 »
Is it reasonable to assume that pterodactyls hanged upside down ?

Post by paul.fr click to view.

paul.fr

« Reply #14 on: 19/07/2007 20:39:18 »
Shrunk

They must have been pterrifying to see.

Post by neilep click to view.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 19/07/2007 20:44:35 »
Shrunk

They must have been pterrifying to see.

LOL !!

I bet a dead upside down pterodactyl was the inspiration behind the invention of an umbrella !!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #15 on: 19/07/2007 20:44:35 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums