The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Mice.......They Constantly Take The Piss .....Why ?  (Read 17287 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dearest Cosmopolitan Group Of Naked Science Peeps of Elevated Acadameia And IQ Highs !

This is a mouse....!!..nice isn't it ?...all cute and snuggly sitting there !!...

What ewe may not know is that it's probably piddling away right now !!

What is it with Mice that make them pee virtually all the time ?...they pee here..they pee there....they pee everywhere and they do it all the time ?

Why ?...why has Evolution dictated that Mice must have a perpetually leaking bladder  ?

Your Rodential Urinary answers and comments wee be most weecomed !

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Mice.......They Constantly Take The Piss .....Why ?
« Reply #1 on: 19/07/2007 01:46:30 »
i don't have an answer... but i wonder if they could make mouse diapers!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19/07/2007 02:12:07 »
i don't have an answer... but i wonder if they could make mouse diapers!

Cool !!...but they'd need to change them contsantly !!

methinks ewe've stumbled upon a money maker here !!

You know?..I bet there are some people who would actually buy diapers for mice !!

Offline _Stefan_

• View Profile
    • My Photobucket Album
« Reply #3 on: 19/07/2007 08:31:41 »
I don't know why mice are constantly peeing, but it seems to work against them because this is how some predators track them - by the smell of their urine.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19/07/2007 08:52:03 »

Dearest Cosmopolitan Group Of Naked Science Peeps of Elevated Acadameia And IQ Highs !

This is a mouse....!!..nice isn't it ?...all cute and snuggly sitting there !!...

What is it with Mice that make them pee virtually all the time ?...they pee here..they pee there....they pee everywhere and they do it all the time ?

Why ?...why has Evolution dictated that Mice must have a perpetually leaking bladder  ?

Male mice urinate so much, well really in little dribbles many times within their sleeping areas and where they go because they are marking their territory as a dog does. This is unfortunate because it does leave a strong trail and can lead to their demise as far as predators are concerned as Stefan says!
 Keep in mind males Urinate more often.
They are less messy then rats and rarely are aggressive. they make nice little pets if you like mice. They love to be handled stroked and played with. Urination and bedding areas need to be cleaned daily and kept warm. Because of the strength of the urine it could be dangerous to allow a lot of build up in their quarters!
« Last Edit: 19/07/2007 08:54:36 by Karen W. »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19/07/2007 09:58:37 »
I don't know why mice are constantly peeing, but it seems to work against them because this is how some predators track them - by the smell of their urine.

THANK EWE STEFAN very much.

Yes, I hadn't thought that the wee is a natural predator attractant !...perhaps this is why they multiply in such great quantity.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19/07/2007 10:03:27 »

Male mice urinate so much, well really in little dribbles many times within their sleeping areas and where they go because they are marking their territory as a dog does. This is unfortunate because it does leave a strong trail and can lead to their demise as far as predators are concerned as Stefan says!
They are less messy then rats and rarely are aggressive. they make nice little pets if you like mice. They love to be handled stroked and played with. Urination and bedding areas need to be cleaned daily and kept warm. Because of the strength of the urine it could be dangerous to allow a lot of build up in their quarters!

THANK EWE KAREN !

Male mice must have massive territories if they are constantly marking them...it does seem tewe be a very risky way of leaving your calling card !!.......at least dogs are sporadic !....but I understand that mice are on a constant drip !!...this must also lead tewe a constant need for refreshment too !!....this in turn leads to more energy needed etc etc.....

paul.fr

« Reply #7 on: 19/07/2007 10:03:52 »
Pregnant mice urinate a lot more than non-pregnant ones, also dominant males produce more urine, i think to mark their teritory or something like that.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19/07/2007 10:06:35 »

THANK EWE KAREN !

Male mice must have massive territories if they are constantly marking them...it does seem tewe be a very risky way of leaving your calling card !!.......at least dogs are sporadic !....but I understand that mice are on a constant drip !!...this must also lead tewe a constant need for refreshment too !!....this in turn leads to more energy needed etc etc.....

Yep I think that is right..They are busy little critters for sure!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19/07/2007 10:14:05 »
THANK EWE PAul.........but do they have to mark it perpetually ?....seems so wasteful !..and inherently dangerous !

Why can't they just ewes spray cans and graffitise their boundaries ! ?...yes...yes...I am sure this would work !!

paul.fr

« Reply #10 on: 19/07/2007 10:18:31 »
THANK EWE PAul.........but do they have to mark it perpetually ?....seems so wasteful !..and inherently dangerous !

Why can't they just ewes spray cans and graffitise their boundaries ! ?...yes...yes...I am sure this would work !!

Generally mice, have no artistic talent. next time you are on the tube you may however see some mouse graffiti, it is often quite small and depicts wheels and small houses. but tube mice are the artistic exception in the rodent world.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19/07/2007 10:19:16 »
What you doing teach wanting to teach those little mice your bad habbits.. LOL

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19/07/2007 10:19:58 »
As I recall Sheepy has a talent with a spray can also! LOL

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19/07/2007 10:21:30 »
you may however see some mouse graffiti, it is often quite small and depicts wheels and small houses. but tube mice are the artistic exception in the rodent world.

If they don't take the tube, they often ride a micycle.

paul.fr

« Reply #14 on: 19/07/2007 10:29:18 »

Lee C. Drickamer1

(1)  Department of Zoology, Southern Illinois University, 62901 Carbondale, Illinois

Received: 29 December 1994  Accepted: 20 May 1995 

Abstract  A series of five experiments was used to test hypotheses about factors affecting excreted urine output per day in male and female house mice (Mus domesticus). Urine was collected in metabolism cages over a 24-hr period. Male house mice excrete urine at a rate 1.52.0 times that of females. Daily average urine output increases with age for both sexes and for mice of the same age; urine output per day is correlated with body mass. Females in estrus produce more urine than females in diestrus. Urine output per day increases during the latter two thirds of pregnancy and remains high throughout lactation. Density does not influence urine output per day for either sex over the range of densities tested. Castration reduces urine output per day in male mice, but ovariectomy in females does not alter rates of urine production. Dominant males produce more urine than subordinate males, but there are no similar effects for female mice. The findings have potential implications for our understanding of the functional and ecological uses of urine by house mice.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 19/07/2007 10:30:01 »
you may however see some mouse graffiti, it is often quite small and depicts wheels and small houses. but tube mice are the artistic exception in the rodent world.

If they don't take the tube, they often ride a micycle.

LOL....groan !!..very good !! *giggles*

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19/07/2007 10:32:09 »

Lee C. Drickamer1

(1)  Department of Zoology, Southern Illinois University, 62901 Carbondale, Illinois

Received: 29 December 1994  Accepted: 20 May 1995 

Abstract  A series of five experiments was used to test hypotheses about factors affecting excreted urine output per day in male and female house mice (Mus domesticus). Urine was collected in metabolism cages over a 24-hr period. Male house mice excrete urine at a rate 1.52.0 times that of females. Daily average urine output increases with age for both sexes and for mice of the same age; urine output per day is correlated with body mass. Females in estrus produce more urine than females in diestrus. Urine output per day increases during the latter two thirds of pregnancy and remains high throughout lactation. Density does not influence urine output per day for either sex over the range of densities tested. Castration reduces urine output per day in male mice, but ovariectomy in females does not alter rates of urine production. Dominant males produce more urine than subordinate males, but there are no similar effects for female mice. The findings have potential implications for our understanding of the functional and ecological uses of urine by house mice.

WOW !!..THANK EWE PAUL !!.....was that taken from that well know reference work  " All Ewe Ever Wanted To Know About Mouse Wee But Were Afraid To Ask ?"

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #16 on: 19/07/2007 10:32:09 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums