The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Retrieving Our Space Probes ?  (Read 4598 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Retrieving Our Space Probes ?
« on: 19/07/2007 03:43:59 »
Hullo,

Do ewe think that one day we will in fact be able to recover our distant space probes and place them in a museum ?

We can't get them now...but maybe one day we'll be able to fetch em back !

whajafink ?

another_someone

« Reply #1 on: 19/07/2007 03:51:47 »
Hullo,

Do ewe think that one day we will in fact be able to recover our distant space probes and place them in a museum ?

whajafink ?

Depends which ones.

If you are talking about pioneer 10 and 11, it will be a long trip to retrieve them.

We generally try not to leave spacecraft in near Earth orbit, because they become a danger to navigation, so if we cannot retrieve them, we will send them crashing into the Earth, and so burn up in the atmosphere.

Some of the interplanetary exploration craft that we have left on the surface of various planets and the moon (i.e. the remote robots, and maybe some of the equipment left behind from the moon landings) we may well one day bring home.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19/07/2007 03:55:25 »
THANK YOU GEORGE.

YES, I'd like to think that even the Pioneer Probes will make a welcome return one day.

We say goodbye forever today but I'd like to think they'll end up back home !

I think it would be a fantastic achievement and a wonderful tribute.

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #3 on: 21/07/2007 10:07:57 »
I don't think that it will ever happen with probes that leave the earth's gravity but we may have to go up there and collect old probes that are in earth orbit for our own safety in space.  Its gettin pretty crowded up there and even a tiny bit of metal can do a lot of damage to a spacecraft if you bump into it.

paul.fr

« Reply #4 on: 21/07/2007 10:10:21 »
Hullo,

whajafink ?

I think the probes are on a one way mission, and that's away from us. As such they will never naturally return, i don't think we will in the near future have the speed to go and collect them, nor will we have the need to.

another_someone

« Reply #5 on: 21/07/2007 11:08:40 »
As I said, various rovers that have landed on the Moon and Mars should be easy enough, as should anything parked in an orbit  around a planet.

I don't think the limiting factor is leaving the Earth's gravity so much as leaving the Sun's gravity.

We probably will develop faster spacecraft that could catch up with the older craft (especially since they will all be coasting, out of fuel); the question is whether we could even find them in the vastness of space?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21/07/2007 11:43:14 »
THANK YOU IAN, PAUL & GEORGE,

I still would like to remain hopeful that in the distant future we will be able to detect and retrieve the distant probes.

Though, I presume we already have replicas in museums somewhere and that by the time the technology exists the wish to retrieve them may not exist. They might be long forgotten.......perhaps.

Offline engrByDayPianstByNight

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22/07/2007 00:45:40 »
THANK YOU IAN, PAUL & GEORGE,

I still would like to remain hopeful that in the distant future we will be able to detect and retrieve the distant probes.

Though, I presume we already have replicas in museums somewhere and that by the time the technology exists the wish to retrieve them may not exist. They might be long forgotten.......perhaps.

This is why space exploration is so expensive and risky: You usually don't get the things back that you fired up.

another_someone

« Reply #8 on: 22/07/2007 01:39:30 »
This is why space exploration is so expensive and risky: You usually don't get the things back that you fired up.

Hopefully, the ISS will make some of the equipment easier to reuse - although clearly not the interstellar probes, or even the distant interplanetary ones, but the closer ones - since they will not have to be designed for re-entry.

This ofcourse creates the problem that we are at present totally dependent on a single low orbiting space station, and if that proves its worth, whoever controls that can develop a monopoly on much future space research, since using the space station as a staging post for future mission could make many things a lot simpler (and thus cheaper) than they otherwise would be.

lyner

« Reply #9 on: 23/07/2007 00:33:46 »
A lot of the energy used by deep space probes has been 'pinched' from Jupiter etc. by using the so-called  slingshot effect. You  would require about the same amount of energy to bring them back, so we would have to wait until there was a lot more energy capacity in propulsion systems.
It's a matter of cost - benefit. . .

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23/07/2007 01:38:18 »
Thank You all again , and thanks to Sophiecentaur too for the new contribution.

May I respectfully request your kindest of considerations that I be allowed to be so bold as to ask if you allow me to state that perhaps the opinions given regarding cost/time/energy have been given (correctly) based on 21st Century knowledge and that as an optimist in the wonder and awe that is human ingenuity  and with some ' flight of fancy '......that I suggest that in the distant future it may well in fact be very easy to locate/find and return the probes...........you just never know eh ?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 23/07/2007 01:38:18 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums