The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: why won't my arm heal?  (Read 11456 times)

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
why won't my arm heal?
« on: 19/07/2007 03:58:48 »
three weeks ago i had a clumsy day at work and scratched my arm and then i got a pretty big bruise. they are not healing. the bruise has gotten slightly smaller but no lighter, and the scratch still has a big scab. what's going on?

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
why won't my arm heal?
« Reply #1 on: 19/07/2007 04:14:52 »
Do you have a lot of redness around the scab? Do you have Diabetes in your family sometimes diabetics don't heal well!Redness may imply an infection. What did you scratch it on wood or metal or plastic.. ? Have you had a tetnus shot lately?

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
why won't my arm heal?
« Reply #2 on: 19/07/2007 04:17:31 »
no redness at all.. both of my grandpas were diabetic but i get checked every year and i'm fine, and it was actually a dried twig... grapevine wreath to be precise

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
why won't my arm heal?
« Reply #3 on: 19/07/2007 07:38:15 »
Was may be that the wreath that scratched your arm was treated with some kind of preservative, but I would not worry if it is not red at all. It may be that it just poked you and scratched deeper then you had imagined...Might just take longer to heal. Have you had a Plaster over it? That might speed things along. Although I prefer the open air to a cover for my own, after the initial bleed is over. I don't know, keep an eye on it and watch for an infection or increased tenderness or pain..any red streaks running up your arm need to be addressed asap.. that might indicate blood poisoning.. as far as tetanus goes. I got blood poisoning once at your age from a porcelain finger which was a note tack my husband had made it fell from high off a shelf and speared the top of my hand between the middle finger and the index finger on my right hand I believe hmmm or was it my left..LOL I can't remember I want to say left.. any who... by morning my arm was stiff and I had a red streak which had traveled quite a ways up my arm.. Seems this old metal note take was rusty old thing and I got a blood infection!Had to have a course of antibiotics and a tetanus shot!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
why won't my arm heal?
« Reply #4 on: 19/07/2007 09:49:07 »
Scratches can take a long time to heal...you'd be surprised. I still have evidence of cat scratches that a clients happy cat gave me 4 months ago.....Bruises too can take a while too....and as ew said it has got smaller...so that is good !

If ewe're really worried..pop along to your local pharmacy/chemist/drug store for some free advice but me reckons ewe're fine.....trust me......I'm a Dr Sheep !.....

wishing ewe better !.......and keep us updated !

paul.fr

why won't my arm heal?
« Reply #5 on: 19/07/2007 09:59:24 »
Pfft. i fell down a manhole 12 to 15 years ago and the scar still has not healed, i think i have gone 1 better than you 3 weeks.

Post by Karen W. click to view.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
why won't my arm heal?
« Reply #6 on: 19/07/2007 10:01:14 »
Shrunk
LOL that is a long time.. You mind explaining how you fell down a man hole..LOL LOL Sorry!

Post by neilep click to view.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
why won't my arm heal?
« Reply #7 on: 19/07/2007 10:05:09 »
Shrunk
LOL that is a long time.. You mind explaining how you fell down a man hole..LOL LOL Sorry!

Big Hole.....Paul falls down it....

there !!..hope this explains it adequately !  ;)

Post by paul.fr click to view.

paul.fr

why won't my arm heal?
« Reply #8 on: 19/07/2007 10:06:51 »
Shrunk

out walking, and a friend said "mind that hole". needless to say i said "what hole" just before i feel down it and had to enlist some help to get me out.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
why won't my arm heal?
« Reply #9 on: 19/07/2007 10:09:53 »
Shrunk

out walking, and a friend said "mind that hole". needless to say i said "what hole" just before i feel down it and had to enlist some help to get me out.

Matey....glad ewe had the help else you'd still be down there !!.....you're lucky ewe did not injure yourself seriously !...hugs the Paul.

paul.fr

why won't my arm heal?
« Reply #10 on: 19/07/2007 10:12:03 »
Shrunk

Matey....glad ewe had the help else you'd still be down there !!.....you're lucky ewe did not injure yourself seriously !...hugs the Paul.

it was one of those manholes with a big wheel at the bottom, boy did it hurt.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
why won't my arm heal?
« Reply #11 on: 19/07/2007 10:15:44 »
Shrunk

HEE HEE HEE..LOL That sounds about like my speed! LOL I fell into a drain with a covered grate at the preschool cause I was doing that two year old thing where you look across the  at the person you are speaking to and you forget what is in between you and keep walking and talking and boom you soundly disappear! LOL It is a horrible feeling when you find you have done this! LOL

O am sorry I bet it did hurt. Is the big wheel a valve or drain valve?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
why won't my arm heal?
« Reply #12 on: 19/07/2007 10:16:11 »
Shrunk

it was one of those manholes with a big wheel at the bottom, boy did it hurt.

This was back in the days before they figured Big Wheels ought be above ground as funfair amusement rides !

I bet it hurt...ouch !!...*sheepy kisses better*...mwah mwah !!......

paul.fr

why won't my arm heal?
« Reply #13 on: 19/07/2007 10:21:12 »
Shrunk

HEE HEE HEE..LOL That sounds about like my speed! LOL I fell into a drain with a covered grate at the preschool cause I was doing that two year old thing where you look across the  at the person you are speaking to and you forget what is in between you and keep walking and talking and boom you soundly disappear! LOL It is a horrible feeling when you find you have done this! LOL

O am sorry I bet it did hurt. Is the big wheel a valve or drain valve?

the embarrassment hurt mole than the wheel, just as embarrassing as when i went in to the back of a car on my pushbike. Oh how they laughed.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
why won't my arm heal?
« Reply #14 on: 19/07/2007 10:33:05 »
Shrunk
Rear ended a car on your bike! LOL i bet that was not pleasant either! I know the embarrassment and feel for you!

paul.fr

why won't my arm heal?
« Reply #15 on: 19/07/2007 10:38:23 »
Shrunk
Rear ended a car on your bike! LOL i bet that was not pleasant either! I know the embarrassment and feel for you!

he stopped for the red light, i did not. when i landed on his roof then slid down the car, his wife got out, looked at me and said "oh, i thought i heard something"

Post by dentstudent click to view.

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
why won't my arm heal?
« Reply #16 on: 19/07/2007 10:44:07 »
Shrunk

AND HERE IT IS!!!!!

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=8865546048541350584&q=not+the+nine+oclock+news&total=59&start=30&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=4

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
why won't my arm heal?
« Reply #18 on: 19/07/2007 10:49:19 »
Shrunk

he stopped for the red light, i did not. when i landed on his roof then slid down the car, his wife got out, looked at me and said "oh, i thought i heard something"

LOL LOL...How long ago was this! LOL Did you get hurt?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
why won't my arm heal?
« Reply #19 on: 19/07/2007 10:52:14 »
Shrunk

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
why won't my arm heal?
« Reply #20 on: 19/07/2007 10:54:13 »
Shrunk

AND HERE IT IS!!!!!

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=8865546048541350584&q=not+the+nine+oclock+news&total=59&start=30&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=4

LOL....QUALITY !!!...Not The Nine O'clock News at it's best !!!

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
why won't my arm heal?
« Reply #21 on: 20/07/2007 04:28:45 »
oh poor paul! i'm sorry. yes you win for longest injury heal time. i was only concerned because i usually heal very quickly.

another_someone

why won't my arm heal?
« Reply #22 on: 20/07/2007 12:24:55 »
oh poor paul! i'm sorry. yes you win for longest injury heal time. i was only concerned because i usually heal very quickly.

Must be old age catching up with you ;D

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
why won't my arm heal?
« Reply #23 on: 20/07/2007 17:07:14 »
If you're arm fails to heal then chop it off !..problem solved !

The Naked Scientists Forum

why won't my arm heal?
« Reply #23 on: 20/07/2007 17:07:14 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length