The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: how do silencers work?  (Read 11294 times)

paul.fr

how do silencers work?
« on: 24/07/2007 00:10:22 »
 what makes them silence the sound of a gunshot???

another_someone

how do silencers work?
« Reply #1 on: 24/07/2007 01:47:29 »
As far as I am aware, if is merely a pipe full of baffles to break up the shock wave of the gas leaving the muzzle of the gun.  Ofcourse, this only really works for low velocity bullets, since a supersonic bullet will still present its own sonic boom.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
how do silencers work?
« Reply #2 on: 24/07/2007 08:44:50 »
I always thought that silencers on guns were rather a movie makers cliche rather like opening combination safes with a stetherscope or killing people quickly and painlessly with one pistol bullet.

Offline eric l

• View Profile
how do silencers work?
« Reply #3 on: 24/07/2007 08:51:47 »
How silencers work is explained in part in this very forum, in the topic "thunder and lightning"
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=9042.0
The mechanism is reflecting the sound waves, so that in stead of a short bang you hear a longer but quieter rumble.

Offline G-1 Theory

• View Profile
    • http://edward-e-kerls.com
how do silencers work?
« Reply #4 on: 25/07/2007 17:02:59 »
I found this on the web awile back.

It said that it was only good for a smal number of shots.
Ed

paul.fr

how do silencers work?
« Reply #5 on: 25/07/2007 17:04:53 »
You can also use a 2 litre drinks bottle as a silencer, is this the same principal?

another_someone

how do silencers work?
« Reply #6 on: 26/07/2007 03:24:14 »
The classic (maybe a myth, but sounds plausible) was to shoot through a pillow.

A 2 litre drinks bottle might just make the average handgun a little unwieldy.

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
how do silencers work?
« Reply #7 on: 26/07/2007 03:30:19 »
from my understanding, silencers also make the shot less accurate, making them only useful at close range. also, after a few shots the silencer won't work.

another_someone

how do silencers work?
« Reply #8 on: 26/07/2007 03:48:24 »
from my understanding, silencers also make the shot less accurate, making them only useful at close range. also, after a few shots the silencer won't work.

As I said, you cannot use silencers for high velocity shots, since you cannot suppress the sonic boom on a supersonic bullet - so this fact alone will mean that you are dealing with relatively low accuracy and close range.

A well made silencer, I am not aware that they have a particularly limited life.  Silencers have been fitted to submachine guns, where accuracy is not a requirement (and can even be a disadvantage), but reliability for several hundred shots at least would be a requirement (although some of the sten guns they were fitted to for covert operations during WWII were so unreliable anyway that an unreliable silencer would scarcely have made a difference).

The Naked Scientists Forum

how do silencers work?
« Reply #8 on: 26/07/2007 03:48:24 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums