The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: If you overcook vegetable.....where does the goodness go ?  (Read 3905 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dear Fellow Eaters Of vegetables,

As you may be aware...overcooking vegetables makes the nutrients go ' bye bye' ...but where do they go ?...do they go into the water ?..if so...would making a soup out of the juice give me back my veggie goodnes ?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
If you overcook vegetable.....where does the goodness go ?
« Reply #1 on: 24/07/2007 14:53:43 »
I always thought it went into the water.. at least thats what my Grandma told me and there fore she would do jut that save a few vegi's and make soup at the same time with the vegetable broth . Sometimes she served it with dinner other times she served it the next night! She was also known to boil pasta and rice in it! I don't actually know the answer so this will get shrunk, but that is what I was told to.. Just what you said about it going into the water.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24/07/2007 15:11:23 »
Thanks You Karen,

What about when you cook veggies in the microwave ?..as far as i can see it's just steam comming off: ie: the water in the vegetables...but do you think it's then nutrient enriched steam ?

another_someone

« Reply #3 on: 24/07/2007 16:26:09 »
Some may go into solution, but the major issue I would imagine is the breaking of bonds in large molecules and restructuring of those molecules caused by the heat itself.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24/07/2007 19:30:35 »
Some may go into solution, but the major issue I would imagine is the breaking of bonds in large molecules and restructuring of those molecules caused by the heat itself.

THANK YOU George......so the heat itself is killing the nutrients !....well that sounds about right to me !...I expect there to be some leakage into the water but I think you must be right..

But that would not explain how as soon as the vegetable is picked , it apparently starts to lose it's goodness.....but I would expect this to be because it has been  separated from the stem.........would that be right do you think ?

Thank You very much .

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #5 on: 24/07/2007 20:15:09 »
I remember my mother using some of the veggie water to make gravy with, nice it was too!

Some veggies and fruits are picked before they are ready to eat and get riper later so I don't think they degrade as soon as they are picked.
Oh dear, having writ that perhaps ripening is a degrade process... :-\

By nutrients are you also including the vitamin content?

Like another_someone said I think that some may go into solution but some may also be damaged by prolonged heating. You will need to check this but I think that overheating in a solution can damage the vitamin content of veggies.

Steaming them is meant to keep the "nutrients" in as they are not laying in a solution.

In fact I think when either Spinach or Sprouts (cant remember which) is frozen the vitamin C content actually gets higher?

Bee

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24/07/2007 20:19:33 »
THANK YOU That Mad Man. (Bee)

I always use the veggie liquor to make gravy...it's delish !!

yes ..yes...I also mean the vitamins too....in fact..I mean any " goodness ".

I agree that steaming is a wonderful way to coo veggies...and also fish and meat/poultry.

WOW !!..that's fascinating that either spinach or sprouts can increase their vitamin C content upon freezing !!..How does that happen ?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

another_someone

« Reply #7 on: 24/07/2007 21:21:43 »
But that would not explain how as soon as the vegetable is picked , it apparently starts to lose it's goodness.....but I would expect this to be because it has been  separated from the stem.........would that be right do you think ?

Firstly, this is not the same for all fruit and veg.

As Max says, some fruit is picked before it is ripe, and is allowed to ripen during transit, but it will not have the same qualities as fruit left to ripen on the stalk, and picked at exactly the right time (it is the next best thing, but it is not as good).

Bananas are said to increase their potassium levels as they ripen (which I assume means that they reduce everything else, since they cannot manufacture potassium).

Certainly, my experience is that fruit will go off quicker if it is torn from the stem rather than if the stem is broken and a piece of stem is left with the fruit.  I assume that this is because when you tear the fruit from the stem, it will tear a small piece of the fruit away, and so the fruit will be damaged.  My own anecdotal experience with grapes is that if you pull a grape off the stem, not only will it not last long (not a problem, since it is heading rapidly for my mouth), but even the other fruit in the bunch will detect the damaged fruit, and will start to self destruct; whereas if I cut or break a group of grapes off from the bunch, the remaining grapes will not start to self destruct.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25/07/2007 03:38:26 »
I believe that to be true. I have seen a pumpkin last over a year as long as it does not get knicked or the skin broken or scratched! stem in tact though!
« Last Edit: 25/07/2007 04:09:54 by Karen W. »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 25/07/2007 03:38:26 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums