The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: After burning a cigarette i am left with ash, but where has the rest gone?  (Read 6242 times)

paul.fr

I just lit a cigarette and let it burn out, so all i have left is a pile of ash. This ash weighs far less that the cigarette did, so where has the rest of the weight gone?

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Are you sure the ash weighs less than the cigarette?, I seem to recall burning magnesium at school 60 years ago and finding a weight increase.
Of course with a cigarette quite a lot of materiel goes off in the form of smoke.

Post by kdlynn click to view.

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
why on earth did you waste a cigarette!?! that being said... did you weigh it or just feel the weight?

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
what about the tar and nicotine that goes into your lungs surely they weigh something.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
what about the tar and nicotine that goes into your lungs surely they weigh something.

As does the major stuff, carbon, of the plant. It is combusted into carbon monoxide and dioxide. The ash is the incombustible part.

Post by JimBob click to view.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I forgot -

Paul, what does cigarette ash have to do with the "Physics, Astronomy, Cosmology" section? Are we considering tobacco to be from an alien source???????

Post by another_someone click to view.

another_someone

The ash is clearly the dephlogisticated cigarette - although phlogiston is supposed to be weightless, but clearly you have proved them wrong ;)

Post by another_someone click to view.

another_someone

I forgot -

Paul, what does cigarette ash have to do with the "Physics, Astronomy, Cosmology" section? Are we considering tobacco to be from an alien source???????

Well, yes - America is an alien place ;)

Post by chris click to view.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
I have to say they are well organised in California with respect to visits from outer space, although there are no special rules even if you have travelled light years to get there - at the customs post coming in from Mexico (Tijuana) the sign says "All Aliens must show Identification".

Bit thoughtless of them to tell you only at the last minute - If I'd arrived from HD189733b, 60 light years away, I'd be really quite miffed if they made me go back and get my passport.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
A fair bit of the weight is lost as water vapour too.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums