The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: 2am is a common time of death.  (Read 25050 times)

paul.fr

2am is a common time of death.
« on: 25/07/2007 17:07:44 »
I have often heard that around 2am is a common time of death, can this be true...checks watch for the correct time.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 25/07/2007 17:14:43 »
...I actually heard it was 3am ! *also checks watch*

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25/07/2007 17:16:38 »
just don't go by the time on this forum!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25/07/2007 17:38:22 »
Jeesh you guys! LOL..Monday mornings are also known to be high incident of heart attacks! ...Checks Calander for day of week, wait Neily said in another thread it was Wednesday, eh?

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30/07/2007 09:13:19 »
I heard that hotels wait until about 2am to move any bodies that my have accumulated during the day. It's easier and less disconcerting to any residents this way.

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31/07/2007 00:30:44 »
what time are most babies born? anybody know?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31/07/2007 02:31:50 »
There once was a man from Perth
Who was born on the day of his birth
He was married they say
On his wifes wedding day
And he died when he quit the Earth.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03/08/2007 10:26:06 »
I love it! LOL That is nice and logical Neil! LOL

Offline shanadian

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07/08/2007 02:00:28 »
That's one good limerick, or whatever that is.  My thoughts of poetry are far away, it's summer!
I agree, I seem to remember that most deaths are sometime around then.  I think that's because of murders, though.  A lot of bars close then, and the drunken fools go out and drunkenly kill who they want to. X(
I think that most babies seem to be born at night.  I was born around 4 pm.  That's almost night time.

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07/08/2007 05:26:39 »
i was born at eleven forty five pm but my brother was born at five fifty two am and my sister was two thirty two am... those are all night time i guess

Offline Quantumorigin7

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29/08/2007 18:15:18 »
All you're minds are in the gutter.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29/08/2007 20:19:07 »
i was born at eleven forty five pm but my brother was born at five fifty two am and my sister was two thirty two am... those are all night time i guess

Actually All AM births are considered mornings. afternoon and evenings end at 1159 PM! 1 minute before midnight!

paul.fr

« Reply #12 on: 29/08/2007 21:55:13 »

you are not the first to say that, mine is firmly planted.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29/08/2007 22:56:36 »

Explain ?

Online Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30/08/2007 20:50:46 »
Perhaps he just likes to insult people at random.

paul.fr

« Reply #15 on: 31/08/2007 00:33:30 »

I'm just glad the doc did not see his abuse of the apostrophe.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30/09/2007 08:44:32 »
12:44AM

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30/09/2007 08:47:11 »
 My Doctor says,"A lot of heart attacks occur on Monday mornings" Stress going back to work.. everybody more tired then they were on friday cause their weekends were too two crammed full of junk instead of rest! LOL! How true so much truth in that!

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15/10/2007 00:13:04 »
The common time of death is around 4.30am asuming people go to bed at 11 pm it gives us approximately 5.5 hours of flat bedrest. around this point there is a 2 degree drop in body temperature, with references in most of the medical training manuals. We confirmed this also using mouth temperature measurements and an alarm clock to wake us at a given time, we then tilted our bed and performed the same procedure on a five degree incline with the head of the bed raised by 15 cm's giving a level but tilted sleeping angle of five degrees to the horizontal.

When our measurements over several days were ploted on the same graph in the training manual showing the flat bed rest drop, We could compare the graphs, My interest at the time was in solving cot deaths using IBT. which I have mentioned previously in the forum. The results showed a clear difference with IBT providing a stable graph line with no noticable drop in temperature other than minor peaks and troughs, wheras the flat bed provided the predicted 2 degree drop in body core temperature.

Doing a google using "common time of death" revealed the AM's have it, which should tell us all something about sleeping flat, but I doubt this message will sink in.

« Last Edit: 15/10/2007 20:37:43 by Andrew K Fletcher »

paul.fr

« Reply #19 on: 15/10/2007 00:27:44 »
The common time of death is around 4.30am assuming people go to bed at 11 pm it gives us 4.5 hours of flat bedrest. Precisely at this point there is a 2 degree drop in body temperature,

Andrew, i may be wrong and it is not nit picking. But that would presume that you fall asleep precisely the moment you go to bed..11pm. Also 4.5 hours after that would be 3.30am, if my maths is right....like i said could be wrong and in no way am i nit picking, i just want to understand what you are saying.

Also, would the act of being woken by the alarm clock not increase you body temp? you wake up sharply, and it's "all systems go" time to crank up the heat and get everything working.
« Last Edit: 15/10/2007 00:29:31 by paul.fr »

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15/10/2007 20:35:09 »
Doh  thanks Paul donít know how I did that but its fairly dark in here typing :P

When our alarm goes off it usually gets a frown or two before we stir into action. I doubt pushing a thermometer into my wife's mouth and she doing it to me amounts to all systems go. We were careful not to move around also, Using the same technique we reproduced the two degree drop in temperature and the alarm went off while we were flat also. So all things being equal we should have obtained fairly accurate results, and the graph does show falls also so we obviously didn't generate too much heat by moving around.

Online Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15/10/2007 22:12:34 »
"Doing a google using "common time of death" revealed the AM's have it, which should tell us all something about sleeping flat, "

OK how does dropping dead in the middle of the night (which hardly seems odd to me- the metaphor of "dead to the world" for asleep is common enough. The systems are all nearly shut down as shown by the temperatures , so they only have to slow down a bit more and they stop. The result is death) have anything to do with sleeping flat?

Is there any significant evidence of this I think there could be? For example I gather a lot of old folks prefer to sleep sitting up (something to do with easier breathing I think). Is there a proper controlled investigation into this and mortallity?

Your data show most of the yellow spots and all of the pink ones below the blue ones on either side so, at best, you have reduced the effect. Up til 12 hours just about all the points are above 36.5C.
Between then and 22hrs almost all the points (in particular, all the pink points) are below it no matter if the bed's tilted or not. After 22 hrs they are on the up again.
Also, there are other, less invasive ways of measuring temperature during sleep than waking up and checking it. Even they would not amount to a single blind, never mind double blind trial. It's always easy to underestimate psyhchsomatic effects.

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20/10/2007 20:49:06 »
A nures I met was responsible for quite a few care homes in Torbay. She mentioned that many of the very old people in the care homes refuse to sleep flat at all, as you rightly point out, this happens in a lot of cases as people begin to realise sleeping flat might not be such a good idea. She also mentioned a lot of people that come into the homes and die within a relatively short space of time spend a lot of time sleeping flat.

We did do the mouth temperature measurements while sleeping flat and found a close match to the text book data, much closer than our inclined bed data. The data from the text book mentioned mouth temperatures were taken to plot the graph so we repeated it using a thermometer.

Anyway, many people that have tried the inclined bed therapy have reported changes in body temperature, no more so than those with spinal cord injuries, who lack the ability to regulate their body temperature, except when sleeping on an incline they regain this ability.

I agree a less invasive method would have proved better but this was over 12 years ago.

I am not aware of a controlled study into mortality and posture while sleeping.

Andrew

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #22 on: 20/10/2007 20:49:06 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums