The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Black walnuts turn your skin a darker shade.  (Read 3746 times)

paul.fr

Black walnuts turn your skin a darker shade.
« on: 26/07/2007 12:34:22 »
I think some time back, Chris posted about the guy who's skin turned silver due to overdoing the colloidal silver. I have heard that a similar effect can happen if you eat too many black walnuts, does anyone know about this? If true, how long a period of eating walnuts are we talking?

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 26/07/2007 12:45:56 »
I'm not sure about eating them, but the skin from walnuts, ie the fleshy part that covers the nut, can stain your skin something rotten. I make a drink called nocino, which uses "green" or unripe walnuts. You p rick the flesh (I had to type it this way, as it got deleted!) and the juices from this colours the drink a very dark green, which can look almost black. I wear gloves to do this, because the stain stays for days. There are other food items that when ingested in any great quantity, can discolour the skin - carotine from sweet potatoes for example can do this.

another_someone

« Reply #2 on: 26/07/2007 13:57:50 »
The way around some of the the automatic censorship of words such as 'prick' is to insert unnecessary BBCs in the middle of the word (in this case, I inserted a change to italic ([i]) followed by an immediate change back from italic ([/i]) - so it had no effect on the word, except to break it up, so the censor is fooled.

BTW, if someone uses this to insert words in a more dubious context, we shall not be amused.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26/07/2007 14:20:37 »
That reminds me of when I was addicted to carrot juice I was addicted to the stuff and believe you me...I turned orange (well..my knees and elbows did )...even went to the doctor about it...since then..I still enjoy carrot juice but in less orange-making quantities....

.....sorry..I know it's non-silver related but I thought i'd mention it .

another_someone

« Reply #4 on: 26/07/2007 14:33:20 »
That reminds me of when I was addicted to carrot juice I was addicted to the stuff and believe you me...I turned orange (well..my knees and elbows did )...even went to the doctor about it...since then..I still enjoy carrot juice but in less orange-making quantities....

.....sorry..I know it's non-silver related but I thought i'd mention it .

Be careful with carrot juice - excessive vitamin A can be harmful to the liver (have heard a case of a man who drank a gallon of carrot juice a day and it did cause him severe problem - not merely turning orange).

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 27/07/2007 06:56:37 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums