The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Ear Wax...  (Read 6588 times)

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
  • Simulated..What more do you needa know :P
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Ear Wax...
« on: 30/07/2007 15:35:38 »
I'm sitting there in the restroom shoving q-tips up my ear and ear wax just keeps coming. I've heared that you can mess your ears up using q-tips. Is there any other way to get rid of hear wax?

Thanks Sim!

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
Ear Wax...
« Reply #1 on: 30/07/2007 15:38:24 »
Just push REAL HARD and it comes out the opposite ear!

To get it done properly, you need to go to the doctor and have them syringed. Apparently, it's great!

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Ear Wax...
« Reply #2 on: 30/07/2007 15:42:01 »
OK I'll go do that! LoL. Not.

I think I might have done that once before when I was "hearing things". LoL, but noting really came out. And I did it at home with some OTC ear stuffs. LoL.

Thanks..I'll have to check into that!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Ear Wax...
« Reply #3 on: 30/07/2007 16:39:00 »
Careful with those qtips though.....

.....I  had a bloody grommet put in a couple of months ago cos my inner ear ws well waxed up !!.....but......ewe do need your ear wax....it's a natural insect repellent and ewe never know when ewe may need to make an emergency candle !!

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Ear Wax...
« Reply #4 on: 30/07/2007 17:02:44 »
Really? That's cool! Why does it not work for me then? I had bugs swarming my head when we were camping all the time.

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Ear Wax...
« Reply #5 on: 30/07/2007 23:55:45 »
but the bugs weren't in your ears were they?

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Ear Wax...
« Reply #6 on: 31/07/2007 01:09:41 »
They were messing with the outside of the inside of my ear if you know what I mean.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Ear Wax...
« Reply #7 on: 31/07/2007 02:22:40 »
Here'd a little bit of info:

Earwax

Earwax, also known by the medical term cerumen, is a yellowish, waxy substance secreted in the ear canal of humans and many other mammals. It plays an important role in the human ear canal, assisting in cleaning and lubrication, and also provides some protection from bacteria, fungi, and insects. Excess or impacted cerumen can press against the eardrum and/or occlude the external auditory canal and impair hearing.

It's not perfect but it should help repel insects if they get really really too close !!

Having said all that.....I have mentioned this before here on this site but once I thought I had what was water caught in my ear for a few days. I could hear a ' garbling ' sound....about three days later I tilted my head...gave it a whack and out fell a little spider about one centimeter in diameter......all this garbling I heard was the little critter moving about !!.needless to say I was stunned for quite a while......I couldn't believe it but there it was !!!

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Ear Wax...
« Reply #8 on: 31/07/2007 02:38:44 »
OMG OMG OMG OMG..lol..Neil that's UGH lol..thanks for the information!

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Ear Wax...
« Reply #9 on: 31/07/2007 17:57:20 »
*puts on earmuffs just in case* well what are the odds of that?!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Ear Wax...
« Reply #10 on: 31/07/2007 18:49:30 »
It must have crawled in when I was asleep !..which meant it had to act fast !!...it was a day after I'd been swimming..hence the reason I thought I had an aqueduct in my ear.

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Ear Wax...
« Reply #11 on: 01/08/2007 05:19:35 »
well i'm glad he didn't build cobwebs in your brain!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Ear Wax...
« Reply #12 on: 01/08/2007 06:01:55 »

Earwax

Earwax, also known by the medical term cerumen, is a yellowish, waxy substance secreted in the ear canal of humans and many other mammals. It plays an important role in the human ear canal, assisting in cleaning and lubrication, and also provides some protection from bacteria, fungi, and insects. Excess or impacted cerumen can press against the eardrum and/or occlude the external auditory canal and impair hearing.

It's not perfect but it should help repel insects if they get really really too close !!

Having said all that.....I have mentioned this before here on this site but once I thought I had what was water caught in my ear for a few days. I could hear a ' garbling ' sound....about three days later I tilted my head...gave it a whack and out fell a little spider about one centimeter in diameter......all this garbling I heard was the little critter moving about !!.needless to say I was stunned for quite a while......I couldn't believe it but there it was !!!

Well..LOL LOL all that fuss over a whittle bitty spider.. I have had the same experience with a spider in my ear.. but it didn't sound sloshy it just felt weird like something crawling in my ear and it was! LOL.. Wow Neily Did you ever tell us that back then.. I remember when your ear was doing that!
« Last Edit: 01/08/2007 16:34:53 by Karen W. »

paul.fr

Ear Wax...
« Reply #13 on: 01/08/2007 07:57:08 »
Excessive ear wax can lead to a loss of hearing, you can use those q-tips to swab the outer portion of the ear. The opening of the ear canal can also safely be swabbed.

Otherwise see you doctor or get some over the counter stuff from you chemist/pharmacist, to help break up the wax.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Ear Wax...
« Reply #14 on: 01/08/2007 08:03:39 »
Yep ear drops help a lot to soften the wax and help it to drain out to where you can clean it out. I used a baby bulb syringe to flush bobs ears out with warm water that really worked good but he soaked them with ear drops for a while to loosen the thick wax.. You wouldn't believe the crud that came out when we flushed them.Just like at the doctors office! It was groddy!

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Ear Wax...
« Reply #15 on: 01/08/2007 16:29:14 »

Earwax

Well..LOL LOL all that fuss over a whittle bitty spider.. I have had the same experience with a spider in my ear.. but it didn't sound sloshy it just felt weird like something crawling in my ear and it was! LOL.. Wow Neily Did you ever tell us that back then.. I remember when your ear was doing that!

Karen stop doing that..

Thanks Thanks Another

And THanks Karen!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Ear Wax...
« Reply #16 on: 01/08/2007 16:35:43 »
sorry....I fixed it!

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member