The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Do Ice Cubes Break My Glass ?  (Read 4973 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Why Do Ice Cubes Break My Glass ?
« on: 01/08/2007 02:55:36 »
Occasionally, when fixing myself a cold drink....as the ice cube hits the bottom of the glass..the glass then breaks !!...why is this ?......

It is not done from a great height !......I suspect it has something to do with the sudden change in temperature....does my suspicion have any credence ?

I could fill the glass with the liquid first but always prefer to pour the liquid over the ice !!

I am thinking about writing a complaint to the executive officer in charge of ice cubes if I don't get a sufficient explanation here !!

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 01/08/2007 04:02:55 »
it probably is the temperature. if you take a really hot dish out of the oven and place it on a really cold counter top it will break. ask my aunt!

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01/08/2007 06:10:46 »
Same if the glass is warm or has had hot water in it like just a drop or two left from a dishwasher to an ice cube.. definitely will break!

I prefer to pour over the ice to as that way, it is less messy and splishy when the cubes fall in.
« Last Edit: 01/08/2007 06:12:24 by Karen W. »

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01/08/2007 18:18:33 »
I don't think it has to do with temperature change (even because there isn't enough time for it). It depends on how the ice cube's kinetik energy is transfered to the glass in the collision, which depends on a lot of things: cube's weigh, elasticity, angle of collision, state of the glass surface, sound propagation inside the cube and the glass...

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 01/08/2007 18:18:33 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length