The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why do toads have bumps and frogs don't?  (Read 10888 times)

paul.fr

Why do toads have bumps and frogs don't?
« on: 01/08/2007 21:50:18 »
 ???

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 02/08/2007 15:13:53 »
I've not seen anything that says why they have the difference in skin, but it seems that toads are actually just a type of frog.

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #2 on: 09/08/2007 20:21:36 »
Dont frogs release a chemical through there bumps if caught by an animal or someone called paul.

paul.fr

« Reply #3 on: 09/08/2007 22:40:01 »
someone once said they had cought a frog, oh thats right....my ex! Seriously, i hate frogs and toads.

so the difference is the release of chemicals?

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #4 on: 09/08/2007 23:26:48 »
I think so could be wrong ,Sorry i also meant dont Toads not frogs release chemicals from the bumps .

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10/08/2007 08:12:37 »
I know if a dog gets a toad there mouths foam up all weird .. they look rabid! LOL My dog was always catching toads but would spit them out pretty quick but his mouth would froth!

The oil from our hands actually burns the frogs skin so it is wise to not hurt them and clean your hands as much as possible before you handle them!

paul.fr

« Reply #6 on: 10/08/2007 09:37:25 »
now i think about it, toad licking is a way some people get high.

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10/08/2007 09:45:18 »
toad licking is a way some people get high.

Only because toads are too difficult to light!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10/08/2007 10:09:14 »

Really???

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10/08/2007 10:10:18 »
toad licking is a way some people get high.

Only because toads are too difficult to light!

LOL LOL..I had to read that too many times before I got it! LOL

Offline showmen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23/08/2007 02:17:47 »
I've not seen anything that says why they have the difference in skin, but it seems that toads are actually just a type of frog.

Frogs and toads both belong to the same order (Order Anura). However, I wouldn't say that toads are a type of frog. In my understanding "Frog" and "toad" are just common names which don't really mean anything in terms of their real classification or their evolution necessarily. They are just common names. There is no real significance in these common names. The warty ones are commonly referred to as "toads", the ones without warts as "frogs". Yet, some animals referred to as frogs are warty (such as the African bullfrog) and perhaps there are examples of animals referred to as toads that don't have any warts

So, why do some members of the order Anura have warts? I dunno really! But i know that not all warty "toads" release dangerous chemicals and that there are some "frogs" with no warts but some very poisonous skin- secretions (however, they may be of a completely different nature to the "toad" secretions- i really don't know)
« Last Edit: 23/08/2007 02:19:54 by showmen »

another_someone

« Reply #11 on: 23/08/2007 04:14:34 »

I think I have heard this for cane toads.

The problem is that there are many neurotoxins that if taken in borderline quantities will create hallucinations or highs (part of the process of paralysing the brain together with the rest of the nervous system).  The trouble is that the boundary between taking enough to get you high and taking enough to send you 6 foot under is very narrow, and very hard to judge.

Not pertaining to frogs or toads, but to neurotoxins, I was looking up something else on WikiPedia, and came across this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datura_stramonium
Datura stramonium, also called Jimson Weed, Gypsum Weed, Loco Weed, Jamestown Weed, Thorn Apple, Angel's Trumpet, Devil's Trumpet, Mad Hatter, Crazy Tea, and Zombie's Cucumber is a common weed in the Nightshade Family. It contains tropane alkaloids that are sometimes used as a hallucinogen. The active ingredients are atropine, hyoscyamine and scopolamine which are classified as deliriants, or anticholinergics. Due to extremely high risk of overdose, many deaths and hospitalizations are reported from recreational use.

There is a mnemonic device for the physiological effects of datura/atropine intoxication: "blind as a bat, mad as a hatter, red as a beet, hot as hell, dry as a bone, the bowel and bladder lose their tone, and the heart runs alone." Another rhyme describing its effects is, "Can't see, can't spit, can't pee, can't sh1t." Regarding Datura, among the Navajo is the folk admonition, 'Eat a little, and go to sleep. Eat some more, and have a dream. Eat some more, and don't wake up.' The actual effects are reported to be: cycloplegia and mydriasis (extreme dilation of the pupil), flushed, warm and dry skin, dry mouth, urinary retention and ileus (slowing or stopping of intestinal movement), rapid heart beat, hypertension or hypotension, and choreoathetosis/jerky movements. In case of overdose the effects are hyperthermia, coma, respiratory arrest, and seizures. The vast majority of atropine-poisoning cases are accompanied by delirium with visual and auditory hallucinations.

The effects of Datura have been described as a living dream: consciousness falls in and out, people who don't exist or are miles away are conversed with, etc. The effects can last for days. Tropane alkaloids are some of the few substances which cause true hallucinations which cannot be distinguished from reality. It may be described as a "real" trance when a user under the effect can be awake but completely disconnected from his immediate environment. In this case, the user would ignore most stimuli and respond to unreal ones. This is unlike psilocybin or LSD, which only cause sensory distortions.

The doses that cause noticeable effects, and the doses that can kill are very close with datura. This makes overdosing on Datura stramonium very easy. This can be fatal; it can cause fevers in the 105-110 (40-43C) range which is a range that can kill brain cells, and lead to brain damage. There have been many instances of teenagers looking for a cheap high poisoning themselves to death on datura. If someone overdoses on datura it is advised to induce vomiting, to wash out his or her stomach, and to get the person hospitalized immediately.

If taken recreationally and the user does not notice any conscious effects, most people redose thinking it's not working, which is why overdoses are so common. The user doesn't realize that he or she was hallucinating. Some users have reported seeing an array of people from their lives. A few anecdotal reports also mention the user's perception of "phantom cigarettes"; the person believes that he or she is smoking a cigarette only to find that it has disappeared later, thus realizing that it never existed. At the peak of such experiences users often enter a true psychotomimetic state, in which they "lose touch with reality" altogether; at this point, many find it difficult or impossible to communicate with others.
« Last Edit: 23/08/2007 04:22:01 by another_someone »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #11 on: 23/08/2007 04:14:34 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums