The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Do humans who live in the desert have adaptations for it?  (Read 6905 times)

Heronumber0

I assume that the kidneys control the amount of water retained by a body. I have heard of desert rats with such good kidneys that they never need to drink any water.  I have also heard/read that the camel retains water using its kidneys so well that its urine its urine is quite corrosive.

I just wonder if desert living tribesmen, or other similar people have got similar adaptations to cope with the desert.

Heronumber0

Do humans who live in the desert have adaptations for it?
« Reply #1 on: 05/08/2007 22:28:46 »
I just had to have the answer to this one so I looked it up (as I should do more often-I know). The answer:

In short -no! The desert tribes are not better adapted biochemically to the desert.

'Ten male Bedouin from the Negev have been compared with the same, or for one test a much larger, number of Jewish male students of a similar age. Their heights, weights and serum chemistry were similar although the Bedouin were somewhat thinner. The response of the sweat glands to pilocarpine was smaller in the Bedouin than in the controls. Their forearm bloodflows at rest were greater. Their production of sweat in response to a rise of deep body temperature was the same and so was their working capacity and the concentrating power of their kidneys. Physiologically speaking, therefore, Bedouin did not appear to be better adapted to life in the desert than other human ethnic groups.'

Have the Bedouin a Special 'Desert' Physiology?

PS: Any advice on how to post url's in ashorter way.  I have just sussed out how to post pictures promoting me to 'idiot' level from 'complete simpleton'

Moderators Edit: I have sorted out the text problem with the url you were linking to, hope this is the effect you were after.
« Last Edit: 08/08/2007 00:48:02 by paul.fr »

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07/08/2007 23:54:55 »
Your right about the URL it goes way farther then the posting limits, I wonder if you post a message to Daveshorts, he might be able to tell you what is happening there. I have seen this a couple times over the last couple months and do not know what causes that!  Is you aren't comfortable with that I will ask George or Dave it would be good to know if there is a way to correct it!

paul.fr

« Reply #3 on: 08/08/2007 00:43:23 »
PS: Any advice on how to post url's in ashorter way.  I have just sussed out how to post pictures promoting me to 'idiot' level from 'complete simpleton'

firstly click the insert hyperlink icon, next to the insert picture icon. You will get the words url and /url ,within brackets.

after the first url insert the websites address you wish to link to, ie =http://www.thenakedscientist.com.

Then in the space between both sets of brackets, the text you want displayed

Sorry, if my explination is hard to follow. If you quote this reply, you should see the text of how it is done and go from there. Like this:

The Naked Scientist

paul.fr

« Reply #4 on: 08/08/2007 00:51:43 »
Bedouin did not appear to be better adapted to life in the desert than other human ethnic groups.

Just throwing this out there, what about the largest human organ. The Skin or rather it's colour.

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #5 on: 10/08/2007 15:56:09 »
Eskimo's are adapted to the cold, i believe its something to do with their skin or the blood vessels in their skin which prevents them losing as much body heat as you and i.

So cant see why people who live in extreme heat don't have a natural way to stay cooler.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 10/08/2007 15:56:09 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums