The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Atomic clock, what about atomic wrist watch?  (Read 3787 times)

paul.fr

Atomic clock, what about atomic wrist watch?
« on: 03/08/2007 16:48:55 »
Can i have an atomic wrist watch, is such a thing possible?

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 03/08/2007 20:58:20 »
I would say that to build an atomic time standard the size of a wrist watch is not possible but you never Know.
If you mean a wrist watch with an atomic power source quite possible but rather futile as the amount of power needed is very low and there are much better ways to get it.
If you mean a wrist watch with the accuracy guaranteed by atomic clock sources they are readilly available as watches that are synchronised by frequency standard radio transmitters such as rugby or WWV.

paul.fr

« Reply #2 on: 03/08/2007 21:55:04 »

If you mean a wrist watch with the accuracy guaranteed by atomic clock sources they are readilly available as watches that are synchronised by frequency standard radio transmitters such as rugby or WWV.

That is what i was thinking, i forgot all about those watches and clocks...oh well.
quickly changes his mind, as to not look too stupid.

I would say that to build an atomic time standard the size of a wrist watch is not possible but you never Know.
If you mean a wrist watch with an atomic power source quite possible but rather futile as the amount of power needed is very low and there are much better ways to get it.

Yes, that's the type of watch i was thinking of.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 03/08/2007 21:55:04 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums