The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Fumes given off by warm plastic propagators may harm bats?  (Read 3410 times)

Offline andi.smart

• First timers
    • View Profile
I'm a bat worker, and sometime bat carer. On our discussion board we've been talking about keeping captive bats warm while they recover from injury. You need to keep them warm, as in 35 to 40c. Some people advocate using plastic propagators from garden centres for this task, however others have expressed concern that the plastics used in propagators may be giving off potentially toxic fumes which would harm the bats.

Can anybody here shed any light on this?

tia

andi smart

another_someone

Fumes given off by warm plastic propagators may harm bats?
« Reply #1 on: 04/08/2007 21:48:20 »
There are innumerable different types of plastic, and aside from the different types of plastic they can have all sorts of additives in to modify their characteristics, so it is very possible that some plastics should not be used for that purpose, but equally there must be other plastics that can be used that would be safe.

Again, another factor you have to take into account is how much ventilation you have, both because the bats will need fresh air, but it will also ensure that you draw out any toxins that might otherwise accumulate.

Also, although the plastic propagators may help keep the frost off plants, they are not in any way temperature controlled.  I would imagine there are times during the night when they will be well below 35c, but even carry the risk that during the height of a warm they might well exceed 40c (maybe others can shed more light on what the possible temperature range they might have - but as I say, my main concern is that there is very little control over it).

paul.fr

« Reply #2 on: 04/08/2007 21:53:34 »
We do have another member who shares your interest in bats, here is his profile: http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=5710

It has been a few weeks since he was last here, but im sure he will be back soon.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #3 on: 05/08/2007 11:54:30 »
Yes, wasn't Ozzy Ozbourne on too recently?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 05/08/2007 11:54:30 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums