The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Americans  (Read 43857 times)

Offline VAlibrarian

• View Profile
Re: Americans
« Reply #125 on: 19/09/2005 01:58:46 »
As an American, I will venture to opine that most of what is said on this thread is pretty accurate. I will add a few criticisms of my fellow citizens in the USA.
   -we are overweight and getting more so. You may like our "fast food", but frankly I prefer slow food
   -we use more of our fair sure of Planet Earth's petroleum supply, which has led us to conclude that global warming does not exist (so we don't have to feel guilty)
   - yes we are pretty ignorant of the world beyond our borders. President Bush helped convince us to invade Iraq by hinting that it was involved in "terrorism"- which made many of us conclude that Saddam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden are friends (nothing could be farther from the truth of course)
   -We are a bit schizo on the topic of freedom. We do not like our government telling us what to do. This is sometimes a bad thing. We had to undergo the September 11 event before we concluded that it is a good idea to search people in airports. We had to undergo Hurricane Katrina before we concluded that there are times that it is okay for the government to evacuate people in front of a killer storm.

I could go on. But I am still here, anyway.

chris wiegard

Offline David Sparkman

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 19/09/2005 12:33:16 »
Americans do defy any kind of classification as we come in all sizes and colors. Whole books can and have been written on the subject. So any observations are subject to exceptions.

One observation of a British friend was that Americans are much nicer when they are at home in their own country. There we feel secure and aren't constantly suggesting what is wrong with the country we are visiting.

I saw that for myself with two colleagues I had traveling with me in Germany. We were in a restraunt when they both ordered pizza (familiar). It wasn't the real greasy kind we often get in the states so they started their complaining, then got loud and boisterous trying to push away the strange and different culture that was surrounding them. I just got embarressed.

America does have a lot going for itself. I see a lot of comparisons with the Roman Empire. A vision for the world based on economic trade would be the positive side. You know the negative side. How much longer can it last? Probabily longer than most people think because of Yankee inovation. We roll with the punches and adapt pretty well.

David
« Last Edit: 19/09/2005 12:37:19 by David Sparkman »

Offline Solvay_1927

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 20/09/2005 00:27:11 »
When I thought about this topic, I pictured a set of weighing scales.

I pictured putting all the good stuff on the left hand side - e.g. the simpsons, south park, motown, cohen brothers, charlie kaufman, etc etc etc ...

Then I started putting the bad stuff on the right hand side.  I put on Arnie Schwarzenegger, then George W Bush - but that's as far as I got before the right hand side collapsed under the weight!

Offline NLJB

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 27/09/2005 00:02:13 »
quote:
Originally posted by qpan

Just wondering how entirely isolated you guys in the US are...

How many of you guys know that there is a place in the UK called Cambridge?

Just that when i talked to an american, and he asked me where i was, i told him and got a suprised reaction from him that there was another Cambridge in the world other than the one where MIT is and the one in Ontario.

Is he just very ignorant, or is the US really that isolated from the rest of the world?

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."
-Edgar Allan Poe

I know some Americans that don't even know there's a Cambridge in America...:D

-"science |?s??ns| noun the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment"- the dictionary

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #129 on: 27/09/2005 01:02:47 »
How about washington, how many english people know there's a washington in the uk

Michael                                      

Offline NLJB

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 27/09/2005 20:04:16 »
Probably...Eight...

-"science |?s??ns| noun the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment"- the dictionary
« Last Edit: 28/09/2005 20:18:43 by NLJB »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 28/09/2005 01:14:15 »
quote:
Originally posted by ukmicky

How about washington, how many english people know there's a washington in the uk

Michael                                      

Not me !!..well, I do now ! , so according to the luscious Dr Nina :D;) that makes 9 now.

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 28/09/2005 01:50:14 »
Neil

You will find that most of our towns, cities and place names in the uk were used to name places in the US. even the smallest of towns and districts like Norwood, Dulwich, Crystal palace etc have a US equivalent.
Think of a big city in the us and we probably have a place called the same.

Michael                                      
« Last Edit: 28/09/2005 01:54:06 by ukmicky »

Offline NLJB

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 28/09/2005 20:15:52 »
And a lot of our places were named after the Dukes and other people of high stature in the UK -America's origin- thanks for that ;-)  (Are there a lot fat people their too?)
The duke of York for example...

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 28/09/2005 20:43:45 »
Honestly Dr Nina...are you being sizeist ?...yes we have horizontally challenged people  (in both directions)...but, i have never seen larger people than the ones i have seen in the US.....god bless america !

Offline NLJB

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 28/09/2005 22:10:04 »
No of course not...I'm actaully concerned about the high obesity rate in america. Once in awhile I think it is good to look at life on a ligter side... and you know because I'm an old maid (can you be an old maid at 34? According to my sister inlaw you can...) and have no life...jk lol [:o)]
P.S has anyone seen the documetary: Supersize me?
P.P.S I like the kitty Neil! Its cute!!!
« Last Edit: 28/09/2005 22:50:01 by NLJB »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 29/09/2005 00:47:10 »
quote:
Originally posted by NLJB

No of course not...I'm actaully concerned about the high obesity rate in america. Once in awhile I think it is good to look at life on a ligter side... and you know because I'm an old maid (can you be an old maid at 34? According to my sister inlaw you can...) and have no life...jk lol [:o)]
P.S has anyone seen the documetary: Supersize me?
P.P.S I like the kitty Neil! Its cute!!!

Thanks Dr Nina...I knew you weren't being sizeist ..I was just being silly old me !....

PS:No, I haven't seen Supersize me, I've seen clips....I know people who have seen it and I really think I ought to. I gather the guy really damaged himself eh ?

PPS: I love the kitty too..thanks...makes me smile when I see it.

ppps: you are NOT an old maid at 34, and why do you say you have no life ? (i know it's a joke)...but I presume you'd rather be out having fun than being here eh ?

pppps: sorry for all the ' PS's '

ppppps:...DOH !!;)

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 29/09/2005 01:16:09 »
TO NLJB

I was looking through some old posts earlier and you  said you were 13 years old not 34

I know, a lady never gives out her real age ;) :)

Michael                                      
« Last Edit: 29/09/2005 03:34:19 by ukmicky »

Offline NLJB

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 29/09/2005 03:43:02 »
Oh I see that...my niece must have pretended to be me and used this, because I'm always logged on...She thinks she's so cute saying that everyone thinks I'm 13 going on 80, and that ever since I was little I studied science independently...that sounds like my devious little neice... I always tell her stories and she's always making fun... ARG! She did A whole bunch of them! She's pretty  intellegent scientist herself you know. I'll delete the ones she did...

« Last Edit: 29/09/2005 04:06:32 by NLJB »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 29/09/2005 13:44:47 »
So, who's the luscious Dr Nina Babe ?...the 13 or the 34 ?.....*Sigh*....I know it's the 34 eh ?...YAYYYY !

Offline NLJB

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 29/09/2005 19:58:25 »
Yeah I'm 34... I wish I was 13!!!!!!
P.S is there anything higher than "Advanced Member"
P.P.S Are you kidding...this is fun for me!

« Last Edit: 29/09/2005 21:04:42 by NLJB »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 29/09/2005 21:38:19 »
quote:
Originally posted by NLJB

P.S is there anything higher than "Advanced Member"

Nope, advanced is as high as you get...except in my eyes, where you're already on a pedestal[:X]

Offline NLJB

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 29/09/2005 22:02:09 »
hahaha...I feel so special

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 30/09/2005 01:31:12 »
    OK if we're all being honest, i'm not 41 i'm only sixteen

Michael                                      

Offline NLJB

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 30/09/2005 02:01:09 »
To be 16 again...

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 30/09/2005 03:07:06 »
Neil so if there nothing higher than advanced where does this withdrawnmist come from.

You ain't been hacking the software have you neil:)

Michael                                      

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 30/09/2005 03:25:30 »
quote:
Originally posted by ukmicky

Neil so if there nothing higher than advanced where does this withdrawnmist come from.

You ain't been hacking the software have you neil:)

Michael                                      

Cripes !!..that's an excellent question, thank you for reminding me Michael.

I think that once you hit 'Advanced' you can request to have something else put there.

Just email Chris and he'll wave his Naked wand !!:D:D....or let me know, my naked wand is always ready !:D[:I]

Offline i_have_no_idea

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 14/10/2005 00:58:22 »

America Rules

That is all.

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 14/10/2005 02:14:42 »
To   i_have_no_idea

guess what

you have no idea :)

but you knew that didnt you

Michael                                      
« Last Edit: 14/10/2005 02:15:49 by ukmicky »

Offline i_have_no_idea

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 14/10/2005 02:16:43 »
yeah...sigh... your probably, right but im pro-government.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #149 on: 14/10/2005 02:16:43 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums