The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Americans  (Read 43902 times)

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/wiguyinmn
Re: Americans
« Reply #25 on: 13/05/2004 06:51:06 »
Please don't judge us on our spelling :(

That's no moon.... its a GRAPEFRUIT!!!!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13/05/2004 10:24:07 »
quote:
Originally posted by MayoFlyFarmer

Please don't judge us on our spelling :(

OWE KAY :)

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'  

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 13/05/2004 12:00:45 »
quote:
   quote:Originally posted by MayoFlyFarmer
    ok, as anti-american as I consider myself, I DO have to say that I don't know a single person that would actually think aussies ride to school on kangaroos (and I know some REALLY stupid people)

as far as the beer goes we do have some good beers, we're just not dumb enough be be givin it all away to the rest of the world. you guys get our crap beer (as I'm sure/would hope the opposite is true) the only aussie beer we have readily available here to my knowledge is fosters....um....yeah, no comment on that one I think my point has been made. I'm sure the Brits have good beers too, the rest of europe does, why wouldn't they?

OH MY GOD!

You guys get Fosters??? I thought that s... stuff died in the late 80's. Don't tell me they send XXXX over there as well? I recently decided since I was in the home state of the awful brew that i should give it a go. Didn't seem too bad until the after taste hit

As sad as it sounds I have heard of the kangroo misconception... oh how i laughed.

All sledging aside they do plenty of good work as well.

-----------------------------
I'm attacking the illusion but the stopping drives me mad!

Fosters is really bad [V] if thatís died away in Australia what do you drink? Do you have real ale????

wOw the world spins?

Offline Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 13/05/2004 12:50:09 »
Although most things you said in your post (Friends, Burger King etc.) I hate ! Maybe just because it's not my culture, I suppose. I think Friends is the most idiotic  and un-funny program ever put on television (except some japanese game shows which are idiotic but funny because they're idiotic) and Burger King, Mc Donald's etc are disgusting. There's often jokes made here about people that eat at Mc Donald's ... also, american culture is invading all the other countries' cultures ! There's too many american brand names, products and shops here.  I don't want Australia (or France) to lose its identity. (although something that's cool is the huge number of Ripcurl and Quicksilver and the other Australian surfing branded things that you see in France !!!!!! ) America's ideas are sort of producing things for the public no matter what the cost and making money. America does produce a variety of films and music, which I suppose is a good point. Most people like American films and music.

As for Australian beer, go Bundaburg Rum, that's really famous. (at least in Australia, I don't know if it's famous over there)

Am I dead? Am I alive? I'm both!

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 13/05/2004 17:59:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by neilep
on the whole...there's more good than bad.....well I think so anyway........it's so easy to slate a country, a people, or anything cos the negative things stands out more  eh ?

Good point Neil.  I think every country and culture has it's good and bad points.  If we can focus on the good in each, we all stand to learn and benefit.

Recently in Canada I have observed Native Canadians making strides toward integrating their culture into general society (or vice versa), while maintaining and enhancing their culture and knowledge base.  I applaud this magnanimous spirit, especially in light of the fact that over the last hundred years or so Natives have been terribly abused, denigrated and almost decimated.  It's a fantastic healing to let go of an angry and painful past, do an about face, and move forward with optimism.

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 13/05/2004 19:33:17 »
Q:...How many of you guys know that there is a place in the UK called Cambridge?...

A: I don't think anybody has that answer, but I do think the fraction of the population who knows any serious amount of geography is declining. Geography is no longer taught in out schools. It was bundled with history, and became "social studies". Geography lost. Most school kids don't know where Michigan is, never mind Cambridge, MA. Cambridge, UK only has a chance if it's in the next Harry Potter movie.

Q:...Is he just very ignorant, or is the US really that isolated from the rest of the world?

A: Yes. The US is a great nation. I will (probably not) be the first US citizen to tell you that. There is also a great amount of isolationism in this country. The US is, unfortunately, NOT isolated from the rest of the world, but most US citizens believe they would be happier if it were. The the US's ignorance of most other world cultures stems from an indifference to those cultures.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."
-Edgar Allan Poe

[/quote]

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 13/05/2004 23:52:15 »
OK, OK, so we're ignorant, and isolated, but we have great food.  And Chris, if you were living here as a doctor, you'd have a much better life, be making more money, be able to take off work whenever you wanted, and could pretty much have a job anywhere with a six figure income.  And you could teach here too, and think of all the ignorant students who need you!!!!!!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 14/05/2004 02:14:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by bezoar

OK, OK, so we're ignorant, and isolated, but we have great food.  And Chris, if you were living here as a doctor, you'd have a much better life, be making more money, be able to take off work whenever you wanted, and could pretty much have a job anywhere with a six figure income.  And you could teach here too, and think of all the ignorant students who need you!!!!!!

Hi Nance....believe me, I have seen the results of your great food !!...(hang on ..are you being facetious?:D)

C'mon Quanty...I bet you love Burger King really ?...;)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 14/05/2004 02:17:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by Donnah

quote:
Originally posted by neilep
on the whole...there's more good than bad.....well I think so anyway........it's so easy to slate a country, a people, or anything cos the negative things stands out more  eh ?

Good point Neil.  I think every country and culture has it's good and bad points.  If we can focus on the good in each, we all stand to learn and benefit.

Recently in Canada I have observed Native Canadians making strides toward integrating their culture into general society (or vice versa), while maintaining and enhancing their culture and knowledge base.  I applaud this magnanimous spirit, especially in light of the fact that over the last hundred years or so Natives have been terribly abused, denigrated and almost decimated.  It's a fantastic healing to let go of an angry and painful past, do an about face, and move forward with optimism.

It is a crying shame that there is very rarely anywhere on this planet where the 'natives' of the land they inhabit, in some way shape or form have not been imposed upon in one way or another.....I can only speculate that somewhere only the remotest tribes in extreme isolated location may still remain untouched......and I would presume that won't last forever

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 14/05/2004 04:01:30 »
quote:
It is a crying shame that there is very rarely anywhere on this planet where the 'natives' of the land they inhabit, in some way shape or form have not been imposed upon in one way or another.....I can only speculate that somewhere only the remotest tribes in extreme isolated location may still remain untouched......and I would presume that won't last forever

What about the UK and other parts of europe.  Other than a lot of internal invasions, they have been pretty much left to their own devices haven't they? :D

[Yes Neil, I do get your point.]  I think there are some tribes in the Amazon basin that have had almost no contact with "civilization".  But I don't really romanticize living in the stone age.  It was a hard life.

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.

Offline OldMan

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 14/05/2004 04:03:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ultima

Fosters is really bad [V] if thatís died away in Australia what do you drink? Do you have real ale????

wOw the world spins?

Some of the best ales are made right here in little old Adelaide. Coopers Pale Ale - alot of people are put off by the floaties (sediment) but it is a great brew.
Coopers Sparkling Ale - nice and clear with a nice punch
Coopers Dark Ale - This is my winter beer for some reason. Very nice but watchout for the hang over can be very nasty!
Coopers Vintage - a stronger very fruity beer only made in limited amounts each year. Not to eveybodies liking

Could go on for ages but they are a few of my favourites. Some of the interstate beers would have to be Crown Larger, James Boags..eh there's plenty.

-----------------------------
I'm attacking the illusion but the stopping drives me mad!

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 14/05/2004 07:03:10 »
quote:
Originally posted by Quantumcat

America does produce a variety of films and music, which I suppose is a good point. Most people like American films and music.

ech!!! no!  while I will admit that the majority of the music I listen to and most of the films I watch are american thats simply a matter of odds due to the amount of both that we turn out every year and the lack of availability (especially in films) of anything from elsewhere!  On the whole if you look at ratio of good stuff to crap put out, american music/films suck!  (which stands to resaon given our lack of culture, and over abundance of apathy).  The brits really know how to churn out good music, I just wish they were a bigger country so they made more of it.  The aussies, and cannucs have made great strides on this fromt lateley as well.  As for films, its tough to get anything non-american these days, but I've always had a ting for German Cinema!

Offline qpan

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 14/05/2004 10:09:24 »
quote:
Originally posted by gsmollin
Most school kids don't know where Michigan is, never mind Cambridge, MA. Cambridge, UK only has a chance if it's in the next Harry Potter movie.

I thought MA was Massachussetts?

-Edgar Allan Poe
« Last Edit: 14/05/2004 10:11:25 by qpan »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 14/05/2004 13:08:06 »
Thanks Justy....I have to say I agree with you about the music and films stuff !!..though we're such a small island ...the stuff we produce over here is rather good and eclectic. There are some quintessentially 'English'/'British' bands that due to the 'sound' of their music just will not 'travel' across the pond to the states and further afield...and it has always been difficult for non american bands to make it in the states !!...you guys are extremely patriotic towards your own brands of entertainment(that's not a criticism by the way, that's just the way it is).....but we are a little creative pot here in the UK!!..The films we produce I think are rather good too....(usually with American funds)....we just don't have the industry(or the budget) like you guys...but I would have to say (even noting your comments) that in my list of best films, they are all American...so thahks for that.

« Last Edit: 14/05/2004 13:14:12 by neilep »

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #39 on: 14/05/2004 14:41:45 »
I second oldman's endorsement of Cooper's Pale Ale. It's become my favourite beer since I came to Oz. A guy in Alice Springs got me into it when I was up there last month. Haven;t drunk much else since !

The annoying thing is that I can't take it home with me (in appreciable quantities anyway !)

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 14/05/2004 16:47:45 »
Hey Chris, I'd like to hear more about your trip (besides the difference in beer).  What's different than you expected?

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 15/05/2004 03:27:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by qpan

quote:
Originally posted by gsmollin
Most school kids don't know where Michigan is, never mind Cambridge, MA. Cambridge, UK only has a chance if it's in the next Harry Potter movie.

I thought MA was Massachussetts?

-Edgar Allan Poe

MA is the abbreviation for Massachussetts - that's where MIT is located (Massachussetts Institute of Technology).

----

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 15/05/2004 03:38:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by tweener

quote:

What about the UK and other parts of europe.  Other than a lot of internal invasions, they have been pretty much left to their own devices haven't they? :D

[Yes Neil, I do get your point.]  I think there are some tribes in the Amazon basin that have had almost no contact with "civilization".  But I don't really romanticize living in the stone age.  It was a hard life.

----

You should know John...you were there !!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 15/05/2004 15:06:50 »
Wait a minute.  There's a Cambridge in the UK?  It's just that in my remote tribe that's totally isolated from everything, I had no way of knowing.

Offline dalya

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 17/05/2004 14:49:31 »
It's true.  Almost all accents are sexy to American women.  British and French are probably the most beloved.  I think Scottish is the best.  The sad thing about living in the UK is you get used to the accent and can't drool over it constantly.  And then when you hear the American accent you drone on and say, 'Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh my gawddddddddddddd!  I don't REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY sound like that, do I?'  (Yes, you do).

Also, the facts that people don't know may be embarrassing, like which kangaroo Prince Charles rode to get to Paul McCartney's concert etc.  However, what's more embarrassing I think is when people lack basic skills like calculating in their heads what 11 plus 24 is, as so often happens on British TV quizzes (not that I watch them too often).

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #45 on: 17/05/2004 19:20:58 »
quote:
However, what's more embarrassing I think is when people lack basic skills like calculating in their heads what 11 plus 24 is, as so often happens on British TV quizzes (not that I watch them too often).

Have you seen the people on those quizzes though??? [:p]

wOw the world spins?

Offline roberth

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 18/05/2004 01:57:37 »
Crikey, I go away for a week and you've been busy running down the Americans and commenting on one of the finest beers (Coopers) available in the world. Considering the cradle of the human race was in Africa, we're all immigrants in one form or another. It's just how long we've been here. I've been in Australia my whole life, and my family roots have been here for a number of generations. That makes me as much Aussie as any Aborigine currently living doesn't it? My son has half my genes and half his mother's (she's a Maori), but he is also an Aussie.
Also, Americans are great! Any race that is prepared to invest trillions of hard earned dollars and many lives of the younger generation to protect basic human rights in another country is OK by me. There is the odd loony in any general population, and I guess that the more people there are in that population, the more wierdos there are. In my travels, I haven't found any race very different (apart from minor external and language variations). We are all kind, friendly and hospitable. We are all part of the human race! Out of the 5 or 6 billion of us currently around, maybe a couple of thousand are causing unnecessary instability. The rest of us are just doing our thing and getting on with life.

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 18/05/2004 02:50:45 »
Bless you, Roberth.  The voice of reason speaks.  You're awesome.

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 18/05/2004 04:11:04 »
Seconded.

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 18/05/2004 06:20:10 »