The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Americans  (Read 44027 times)

Offline Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
Re: Americans
« Reply #75 on: 10/06/2004 11:30:01 »
the american exchange student asked me if kids in australi really rode to school in the pouches of kangaroos. not sure if she was joking or not.

Am I dead? Am I alive? I'm both!

Offline OmnipotentOne

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 15/06/2004 03:40:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by Quantumcat

the american exchange student asked me if kids in australi really rode to school in the pouches of kangaroos. not sure if she was joking or not.

I've always wanted to be an exchange student to somwhere out of the USA.  Just to prolong the stereotypic view of Americans if I ever do travel outside the states, I'm going to ask a stupid question like that!:D

To see the world through a grain of sand.

Offline valley

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 15/06/2004 19:12:04 »
On my first full day in the US, I met a man who said "Hi, I'm Randy". I can't believe that life can be so perfect, surely there is an organisation that plants such people around for the benefit of us Brits? (That was the only time anyone ever said it to me despite my being there over ten months).

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 17/06/2004 04:29:34 »
OK Valley, I don't get it.  No one said, "Hi, I'm Randy," to you in ten months?  Maybe you just didn't meet another Randy.  Why would any organization plant a person around to say, "Hi, I'm Randy?"

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #79 on: 17/06/2004 08:28:34 »
Erm, 'Randy' means "horny" in English English, which is why valley was titillated by the introduction, fnar fnar !

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 17/06/2004 12:23:02 »
Hi...I'm Randy too !!  

I love Viz Chris.....even had a couple of tips published so there !!

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'  

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #81 on: 18/06/2004 08:15:20 »
I used to love Viz but it's definitely gone off the boil. It used to make me cry with laughter, now it just elicits the odd titter or smirk. Some of the Roger's Profanisaurus entries are great - Gashcard and Hairy chequebook are good examples (these are the preferred means of payment for Glandlords and minicab drivers!).

In the cartoons themselves the odd gem still pops up (fnar fnar) but since they sold out it's really gone downhill. That said, there was a brilliant fat slags last summer. They had a barbecue, made the fire with old tyres, cooked condemed meat from a dodgy dog-food slaughter house, and then got the ****s for a month.

As you might have guessed, Finbarr Saunders was my all-time favourite character. There was one priceless edition in which he goes to visit Mr. Gimlett in hospital. It's full of lines like "that chap in the bed over there had an accident on an oil rig...they had to get the chopper out for the rescue...it took them nearly 45 minutes to bring him off". Followed by "that chap in the bed over there has gone home...they always change the sheets when there's been a discharge" plus the all time classic "I'd love to get my hands on that lovely pear on that woman's chest" (pointing to an item of fruit on another patients bedside locker)...etc etc

- Groucho Marx

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 19/06/2004 00:33:24 »
Fanr, fnar, huh?  And Randy?  You guys have some strange expressions.  Like fags, for instance.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 19/06/2004 03:01:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by chris

I used to love Viz but it's definitely gone off the boil. It used to make me cry with laughter, now it just elicits the odd titter or smirk. Some of the Roger's Profanisaurus entries are great - Gashcard and Hairy chequebook are good examples (these are the preferred means of payment for Glandlords and minicab drivers!).

In the cartoons themselves the odd gem still pops up (fnar fnar) but since they sold out it's really gone downhill. That said, there was a brilliant fat slags last summer. They had a barbecue, made the fire with old tyres, cooked condemed meat from a dodgy dog-food slaughter house, and then got the ****s for a month.

As you might have guessed, Finbarr Saunders was my all-time favourite character. There was one priceless edition in which he goes to visit Mr. Gimlett in hospital. It's full of lines like "that chap in the bed over there had an accident on an oil rig...they had to get the chopper out for the rescue...it took them nearly 45 minutes to bring him off". Followed by "that chap in the bed over there has gone home...they always change the sheets when there's been a discharge" plus the all time classic "I'd love to get my hands on that lovely pear on that woman's chest" (pointing to an item of fruit on another patients bedside locker)...etc etc

- Groucho Marx

Finbarr Saunders still exists and still makes appearences,he is one of my favourites too, and Spoilt Bastard also.....I have to agree that it's certainly not the same mag it used to be, but I also wonder if that is because of the change in our years Chris not just the change of VIZs' strips.......You should pick up a recent copy....Have you seen Eight Ace  Chris ?...that's my current favourite, and The Drunken Bakers are virtually surreal......It still holds enough interest for me to be a loyal subscriber !!..and besides....not only does it make good toilet reading but my eight year old daughter loves it too !!!:D

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 19/06/2004 03:05:03 »
quote:
Originally posted by bezoar

Fanr, fnar, huh?  And Randy?  You guys have some strange expressions.  Like fags, for instance.

Glad you appreciate proper English Nance:D;)

Offline Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 19/06/2004 15:53:35 »
Alert! My cat has migrated :-(

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 19/06/2004 16:48:25 »
Soz Erin....as you can see I've exchanged your kitty for another one  :-)

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 20/06/2004 01:20:39 »
Please excuse -- I'm just an American trying to learn the language.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 20/06/2004 01:50:37 »
quote:
Originally posted by bezoar

Please excuse -- I'm just an American trying to learn the language.

That's ok....*kind caring considerate look*

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 02/07/2004 06:24:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by neilep

Soz Erin....as you can see I've exchanged your kitty for another one  :-)

Wasn't there a road kill one? that would be awesome!!! I'm not really a big fan of cats if you hadn't guessed.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 14/09/2004 18:24:52 »
I've just made Chilli Con Carne and on behalf of my digestive system and my 'exit ' hole...I would just like to thank America for Tabasco !!

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 14/09/2004 19:54:04 »
LOL nice neil... Red Raw Ring tomorrow then lol!!!

I take back my views on cats, my girlfriend seems to be swaying my view on cats... at the moment my view is that i dont mind them. ;)

Offline roberth

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 14/09/2004 23:49:41 »
Men get involved with women in the hope that the woman will not change, and they do. Women get involved in the hope that the man will change, and they don't. Well, except in your case Rich. Cats are just the beginning.
I realise there are many cat fanciers here, I'm just not one of them. They're vile little parasites that should be killed on sight.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 15/09/2004 00:00:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by roberth

Men get involved with women in the hope that the woman will not change, and they do. Women get involved in the hope that the man will change, and they don't. Well, except in your case Rich. Cats are just the beginning.
I realise there are many cat fanciers here, I'm just not one of them. They're vile little parasites that should be killed on sight.

Roberth...I've just played your above post backwards and it says...'I love cats so much, they are so sweet, and are furry balls of feline joy'....so there !!!...you're a closet cat lover !!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 15/09/2004 00:01:37 »
quote:
Originally posted by Exodus

LOL nice neil... Red Raw Ring tomorrow then lol!!!

I take back my views on cats, my girlfriend seems to be swaying my view on cats... at the moment my view is that i dont mind them. ;)

Rich...you're soooo right...still, nothing beats your own personal central heating :)

Offline roberth

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 15/09/2004 02:15:53 »
C'mon, Neil. You accused me of that heinous crime last time I gave my views on cats. Sweet furry balls of feline joy indeed !! More like toasty warm gloves or slippers.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 15/09/2004 08:49:24 »
Ok Robert, I cave in to your distate of our clawy whisker anti-canine quadrupeds......why exactly do you hate cats so much ?....I apprecaite some people hate them , you seem to have a particularly high angst towards them. I'm not trying to convert you, just interested how this loathing of them came to be.

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 15/09/2004 17:50:47 »
I don't mind PROPER cats, and ones that don't ask you to fuss them and then bite and scratch you a few minutes later because they feel like it! Upon getting a cat i would be very fussy, no fur balls and a decent colour. I like black cats myself, not a big fan of gingers...

Offline OmnipotentOne

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 16/09/2004 00:25:27 »
My family has had a history of dogs, so thats about 16 years of barking.  You'd think after that long it wouldnt bother you as much......WRONG.  I cant stand dogs continuous barking at nonexistant objects.  Well I guess you could say I like cats then, unless they start barking to.

To see a world in a grain of sand.

Offline roberth

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 16/09/2004 00:32:16 »
That's a hard question, Neil. I've never owned a cat, but there is many that live around my area. I have no desire to harm them, but it doesn't bother me if they are killed by a dog or car. They decimate local wildlife, destroy my garden, cr@p in my son's sandpit and steal my dogs' food. Feral cats in Australia are one of the major destroyers of local fauna. They upset the delicate balance in most environments, roaming free in the nights, breeding and killing while their lazy arse owners sleep without care. They ate my homework, created havoc on our public transport, are responsible for the drought, started the war in Iraq and crashed my computer. Contrary to what most people will try and tell you, global warming is caused by cat farts not those lovely bovines.

"I don't mind PROPER cats"- what the hell does that mean, Rich? Are you getting a panther? You clearly don't like lions and tigers.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #99 on: 16/09/2004 00:32:16 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums