The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: The Earth's population must be dwindling  (Read 2335 times)

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
The Earth's population must be dwindling
« on: 07/08/2007 09:46:29 »
I'm a single child. I had 2 parents. They each had 2 parents who each had 2 parents and so on. That means that as you go back through the generations the number of my progenitors rises exponentially. Therefore, 16 generations ago I had 32,768 ancestors alive and at some point further back there must have been a time when I had more ancestors alive than there are people now alive in the whole world.

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 07/08/2007 09:55:47 »
Yes, but they are not individually exclusive to you. They are also the grand-parents / g.grand-parents / g.g.g.g.g.g.grand-parents of an awful lot of other people too. And the further back you go, the more times they will be g^x grand-parents of other people.

another_someone

« Reply #2 on: 07/08/2007 10:50:52 »
And that also ignores near incest marriages (e.g. marriage of cousins, or 2nd cousins, etc.), where one or more g.g.g.g.....parent may be shared on both sides of the ancestral line (in small communities, where there was little influx of new blood, this can occur quite easily).

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07/08/2007 10:53:27 »
And that also ignores near incest marriages (e.g. marriage of cousins, or 2nd cousins, etc.), where one or more g.g.g.g.....parent may be shared on both sides of the ancestral line (in small communities, where there was little influx of new blood, this can occur quite easily).
I was going to say that, but I didn't want to speculate about the lineage of a beaver......

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07/08/2007 18:25:53 »
I was going to say that, but I didn't want to speculate about the lineage of a beaver......

"Exclusive" is the word you're looking for!  :D

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 07/08/2007 18:25:53 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums