The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How Much Water Is In The Oceans , Seas, lakes, Rivers...(and also Frozen)  (Read 4568 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
When I get thirsty I can drink a lot of water !!..but even the oceans hold too much for me !!

If I was able to suck up all the water of the oceans and seas, bird baths etc and frozen bits too at he poles....and  float it in space inside a big plastic bag...how big would it be ?....bigger than the moon ?

Stats would be nice too !!

Straws at the ready for your answers de la liquid joy !

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
You would also need to add everything underground which could probably add 10% or more to your answer.

10% is a guesstimate a sort of wild shot in the dark. :). ps if you can read that without glasses then your eyesight is as perfect as mine
« Last Edit: 12/08/2007 02:40:10 by ukmicky »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
You would also need to add everything underground which could probably add 10% or more to your answer.

10% is a guesstimate a sort of wild shot in the dark. :). ps if you can read that without glasses then your eyesight is as perfect as mine

At least I know my eyesight is good...and I'm using a crappy laptop with a crappy screen !!..

...so..YES..YES...chuck in all the free flowing subterranean liquid joy and luff too !!

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile

I've just read a book called "H2O A Biography Of Water" by Philip Ball. In it he mentions a theory which suggests that "Some estimates suggest that as much as three quarters of the [Earth's] mantle between 400 & 525 kilometres deep could exist in the form of wadsleyite, which provides an immense possible reserve of water - over a dozen oceans' worth"

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
Which then

I've just read a book called "H2O A Biography Of Water" by Philip Ball. In it he mentions a theory which suggests that "Some estimates suggest that as much as three quarters of the [Earth's] mantle between 400 & 525 kilometres deep could exist in the form of wadsleyite, which provides an immense possible reserve of water - over a dozen oceans' worth"

I take it all that water is held underground by presure . So if the ice caps were to melt would the oceans rise as much as they think ,wouldnt the extra presure due to the added volume squeeze even more underground.
« Last Edit: 12/08/2007 16:30:09 by ukmicky »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Micky - I don't think it's as easy as that, but I'll have to find the paragraph on wadsleyite to check the details.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
....waits in anticipation.....!!

........can barely hold it together !!

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums