The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How Do Moth Balls Do What They Do ?  (Read 6580 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
How Do Moth Balls Do What They Do ?
« on: 12/08/2007 18:41:37 »
These are Moth balls :

Nice aren't they ?..notice how well packaged and non moth attracting they are ?

But what is in a moth ball ?

What does it do to the moth ?...is it a moth killer or a moth deterrent !!

Is it because moths are scared of losing their balls that they just fly away ?

How long does a moth ball last ?..are they poisonous to me and ewe ?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 13/08/2007 16:40:45 »
The main ingredient in mothballs is naphthalene ...

Health effects
In humans, exposure to large amounts of naphthalene may damage or destroy red blood cells. This could cause the body to have too few red blood cells until it replaces the destroyed cells. Humans, particularly children, have developed this condition after ingesting mothballs or deodorant blocks containing naphthalene. Some of the symptoms of this condition are fatigue, lack of appetite, restlessness, and pale skin. Exposure to large amounts of naphthalene may also cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, blood in the urine, and jaundice (yellow coloration of the skin).

When the U.S. National Toxicology Program exposed male and female rats and mice to naphthalene vapors on weekdays for two years [2], male and female rats exhibited: evidence of carcinogenic activity, based on increased incidences of adenoma and neuroblastoma of the nose, female mice exhibited some evidence of carcinogenic activity, based on increased incidences of alveolar and bronchiolar adenomas of the lung, and male mice exhibited no evidence of carcinogenic activity.

The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) [3] classifies naphthalene as possibly carcinogenic to humans [Group 2B]. It also points out that acute exposure causes cataracts in humans, rats, rabbits, and mice and, that hemolytic anemia, described above, can occur in children and infants after oral or inhalation exposure or after maternal exposure during pregnancy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naphthalene

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13/08/2007 17:18:49 »
THANK YOU RD for this valuable info...very interesting and I appreciate you posting it here.

All I need to know now is what it does to moths!

THANKS

Offline Vcoolspice

• Life is a sexually transmitted disease.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06/02/2008 17:00:32 »
THANK YOU RD for this valuable info...very interesting and I appreciate you posting it here.

All I need to know now is what it does to moths!

THANKS

The smell keeps 'em away!!! (it keeps me away)

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09/02/2008 00:14:28 »
Gosh, I didn't even know moths cried.

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09/02/2008 00:24:01 »
Gosh, I didn't even know moths cried.

LOL LOL LOL

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10/02/2008 16:40:34 »
Here is an alternative to toxic moth balls and it smells much better!

Green Living > Healthy Home > Household Hints > Ask Annie - Moth Ball Alternatives

How to Repel Clothing Moths
1. Clean woolen items before storing.
To wet clean wool: The key to not shrinking wool is to never twist it, agitate it, or wring it out. Gently swirl the wool in the water, then rinse and press the water out. Wool is an acidic material, so use a shampoo with its acidic pH. Or an acideic detergent. Any soap or detergent with a pH above 8 will harm wool. To lower the pH of a soap or detergent, add 1 tablespoon of white distilled vinegar or lemon juice before washing. Water temperature when washing wool should be around 100 F. Block wool -- lay it flat and shape it -- before drying.

2. Air woolen clothing in the sun for a few hours before packing them away.

3. Make your own moth ball alternatives.

Natural Moth Balls (Repellent Sachets): These sachets are lovely to tuck into sweater drawers and hang in closets. Most health food stores sell bulk dried herbs.

2 ounces each of dried rosemary and mint
1 ounce each of dried thyme and ginseng
8 ounces of whole cloves

Combine the ingredients in a large bowl. Blend. Make sachets by choosing a 4 x 4 inch piece of natural fiber with a tight weave, such as silk. Sew three sides together, then fill with the herbs and sew the fourth side shut. You can adapt this pattern to any size you want (2 x 2 is the traditional size for the undergarments drawer, for example). A good idea for small sachets is to fill cotton teabags sold for making your own tea (these are often sold in health food stores). If you are really in a rush, just tie the herbs up in a cotton bandana or handkerchief; place the herbs in the middle, gather the edges together, and tie with a ribbon.

Variation: Other herbs that are good for repelling moths include lavender, lemon, sweet woodruff, and tansy.

4. Completely seal clean woolen items in bags, boxes, and chests. Cedar chests help repel moths, but they must be sealed.

5. If you see moths, freeze the item of clothing for two days in the freezer.

Wool Moth Spray
If you have wool moths already, the best spray is to make one of neem oil, adding 1/4 cup of neem oil to 1/2 gallon water, with a dab of liquid castile soap, in a spray bottle.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 10/02/2008 16:40:34 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums