The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Has anyone seen these lights?  (Read 3627 times)

Offline Bruegel

• First timers
    • View Profile
Has anyone seen these lights?
« on: 14/08/2007 19:42:18 »
I first noticed this effect in my eyes while lying in the sun.

With my eyes closed of course the eyelids appear bright red and all sorts of unfocused colour blobs seem to float about

as the eyes recover from looking at brightly lit objects before closing.

It was after five to ten minutes and letting myself relax, I began to notice something like an array of lights descending across the inside of my eyelids. The effect lasted approx 2 seconds. I only took notice of it because it repeated regularly. It pulsed every six seconds for two seconds. I have been able to notice the same effect at repeated times and even managed to experience it at night. I have never read about such a biological rhythm before and I have tried to explain this phenomenon to my optician and to several scientists working on the eye but none of them has shown any interest.

I don’t know what is happening  but it feels as though I am somehow able to “see” the back of my eye and I feel that I am experiencing a retinal “recharging”. I think that perhaps because there is no knew information coming into the eye, and the eye has adapted to the single red colour of the eyelid the brain sends a pulse to check on the activities of the cells. The regularity of it is surprising and I checked that it does not match with my pulse or breathing rhythms.
The array of lights in a honeycomb pattern seemed to float downwards across my eyelids or else they occur in the retina. It is difficult to say.

I have tried to get others to see the effect but they have been fairly sceptical and have not succeeded!

However I would dearly like to know where the six second pulse comes from. Can you help?
Please try this and let me know if you experience the same effect.It has not been recorded before.

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 14/08/2007 22:33:45 »
Hi Bruegel,

welcome around here!
Never heard of...Phosphenes?
Enjoy your search:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphene

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=5854.0

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=940.0#quickreply

...Sorry everybody,
I'm having one of my compulsory
cut & paste crisis!

Phosphenes are a visual and neurological phenomenon common to all mankind. They are the undulating (aurora like) geometric patterns and moving points of colored light we often experience when we close our eyes, or when we keep them open while adapting to a dark room. This mesmerizing effect can also be produced if we press our fingers firmly on our eyes long enough to stimulate the same retinal process. Electrophosphenes are a method of electrically reproducing the same visual effect as phosphenes, but with a greater range of patterns, color subtlety and precision. Electrophosphenes are created by placing small galvanic electrodes on the temples near each eye, and applying a tiny voltage (one volt at one milliampere current) that is pulse modulated at frequencies typically between 5-100 Hz. The locus of the effect is in the retina, and available evidence suggests that tiny induced currents in the retina elicit visual responses similar to those resulting from light stimulation.
Electrophosphenes have been studied for more than a century, including extensive investigation by early scientific luminaries such as Benjamin Franklin and Johannes Purkinje. However, the majority of experimental arrangements have typically used man-made electrical and pulse modulation systems to produce the effect. The proposed system for the Altamira project would instead use naturally occurring celestial objects (pulsars) as the primary electrophosphene signal input. (A substantial percentage of catalogued pulsars produce pulse frequencies and pulse shapes perfect for generating unique forms of electrophosphenes).

« Last Edit: 14/08/2007 22:38:05 by iko »

Offline Bruegel

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15/08/2007 18:51:24 »
thanks for the reply.
The unusual aspect of these lights is that they have a rhythm of 2 seconds on and 6 seconds off. They are not the lights that you have described they appear as a honeycomb of spots that move downwards in an array.

Offline Bruegel

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16/08/2007 21:45:45 »
When trying to make sense of these lights that appeared with my eyes closed and only after many minutes of relaxing I wondered if they were anything to do with how the brain tries to make sense of what we are looking at.
When faced with drawings that may be read in two ways like the famous Rabbit/Hare picture or the Old woman/Young woman picture there seems to be a few second gap between seeing the picture one way and then seeing it the other. I am wondering if there is something that sweeps across the retina to check if the pattern that is being looked at is acceptable or understandable and "clearing " it for reinterprtation after a few seconds. the images switch from one defined image to the other without reading it as a scrambled or imageless scribble.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 16/08/2007 21:45:45 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums