The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Inventions that we need !  (Read 7957 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Inventions that we need !
« on: 15/08/2007 16:01:32 »
Here we have a sounding board to put all the inventions you feel we need.

Failed First Flush

Whilst I don't want be thought of as the 'scat guy'...I think an invention that would let you know that the first flushing of the toilet was not successful may be useful !!

Lost Keys

I'm forever losing my keys. I know there have been attempts in the past where if you clap or whistle then the little device makes a sound but I wonder if there is a way to improve upon this because if your keys are not within hearing range they won't respond. Perhaps an auto alarm that repeats every hour that can be disabled at night etc?

Remember Your Shopping

If I've done food shopping and call in at someone else's house, then sometimes I have forgotten to collect my shopping from their fridge !...to get around this I now ALWAYS place my car keys in their fridge too !...it always works !!...but..is there a better solution ?

Do you have any answers to my questions or can you think of "Inventions that we need ?"

paul.fr

« Reply #1 on: 15/08/2007 16:06:24 »
Failed First Flush

We have them, they are called eyes.

Lost Keys

This is called a pocket or key hook

Remember Your Shopping

I have no friends, problem solved

paul.fr

« Reply #2 on: 15/08/2007 16:08:04 »
I just wonder if this topic is in the right section of the forum, perpaps a mod could have a look ;) ;) ;D

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15/08/2007 16:10:20 »
LOL LOL LOL...I am not touching it!!!!! LOL

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15/08/2007 17:08:48 »
Where do you think a MOD should put it ? ;) :D ;)

New Theories ?..General Science ?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15/08/2007 17:12:05 »
Failed First Flush

We have them, they are called eyes.

Lost Keys

This is called a pocket or key hook

Remember Your Shopping

I have no friends, problem solved

1: I don't always hang around to inspect the goods !..besides..after you posted about closing the lid when flushing (It was you wasn't it?)..I always do this now !!

2: My key bunch is too big to pocket it

3: Did you notice how I said 'someone elses house' cos like you..I have no friends...just family !

another_someone

« Reply #6 on: 15/08/2007 18:27:30 »
Ideally, the failed first flush should be an autoflush that stops when the flush is successful.

The logical device would be either a small camera, or laser scanner, using a frequency that is unaffected by water (including the spray).  Probably the best frequencies would in the the blue and near ultra violet spectrum.

As for remembering your shopping - maybe the best answer is not to have your shopping in another person's fridge - so have a fridge in the car, and there is no need to take the shopping out of the car.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15/08/2007 19:08:55 »
Ideally, the failed first flush should be an autoflush that stops when the flush is successful.

The logical device would be either a small camera, or laser scanner, using a frequency that is unaffected by water (including the spray).  Probably the best frequencies would in the the blue and near ultra violet spectrum.

As for remembering your shopping - maybe the best answer is not to have your shopping in another person's fridge - so have a fridge in the car, and there is no need to take the shopping out of the car.

EXCELLENT George :

The auto flush idea and 'poo detector' is very clever....Incorporate with a weight detector so that the loo will know that someone is still using it...so that it will not flush on the first deposit whilst the loo is still in use !!

I know some cars have a cool box but fridges I think are reserved for the ultra posh end of the market !.......With my family I would need a BIG fridge !!

Thanks again George

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16/08/2007 01:46:00 »
self cleaning eyeglasses!!

another_someone

« Reply #9 on: 16/08/2007 02:11:56 »
self cleaning eyeglasses!!

We already have self cleaning windows:

http://www.pilkingtonselfcleaningglass.co.uk/
Pilkington Activ™ Self-Cleaning Glass uses the forces of nature to maintain its clear appearance without leaving unsightly streaks. In a dual-action process organic dirt is broken down by daylight and is then washed away by rain, thus making it environmentally friendly and very easy to maintain.

The benefits of self-cleaning glass are numerous. If you clean your own windows you will save time and energy as cleaning windows will be a thing of the past; if you currently employ a window cleaner, you'll save money to spend on things you really enjoy. Pilkington Activ™ Self-Cleaning Glass can also be combined with a range of different products to offer many additional benefits (such as thermal, solar and noise control).

Pilkington Activ™ not only brings you fantastic low maintenance glass cleaning but also allows you to combine it with various products for the ultimate in glass solutions.

I suspect there would be serious problems in translating the same technology for eye glasses, but at least it is a starting point to think about.

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16/08/2007 02:29:04 »
yes... like standing outside waiting for rain when you can't see... lol

another_someone

« Reply #11 on: 16/08/2007 02:36:03 »
yes... like standing outside waiting for rain when you can't see... lol

Well, you could wear it in the shower :)

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16/08/2007 02:51:27 »
lol. i didn't even think of that. lol...

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16/08/2007 04:12:05 »
oh ok, i've got one. a machine that you can stick your finger in and it will give you a print out of everything that's wrong with you. like a car diagnostic thing...

another_someone

« Reply #14 on: 16/08/2007 04:50:32 »
oh ok, i've got one. a machine that you can stick your finger in and it will give you a print out of everything that's wrong with you. like a car diagnostic thing...

Except that the car diagnostic thing does not always get it right.

Besides which, do you really want to turn up to a job interview where they tell you to put your finger in the hole, and then you see them shaking their heads, as they tell you "Sorry, we can't hire you because our human diagnostic machine tells us you are insane!".

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 16/08/2007 04:55:02 »
lol

paul.fr

« Reply #16 on: 16/08/2007 07:57:28 »
1: I don't always hang around to inspect the goods !..besides..after you posted about closing the lid when flushing (It was you wasn't it?)..I always do this now !!

Yes, i remember posting that now. I always do it too, this is why i hate public loo's. Nobody put the seat down before flushing, then again, not many of them bother to flush at all.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16/08/2007 15:12:17 »
Pauls post above reminds me of a new invention.

Public Loo Handle Cleaner

I detest leaving public loos cos you have to touch the handle after you've washed your hands. So, something that cleans the handle continuously would be nice.

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16/08/2007 15:30:08 »
The loo handle thing is neatly avoided by those remote sensor things they have in service stations and such. Wave your hand at one to flush the loo, to turn on the tap, to turn on the hand-drier, etc.
Not sure how much energy they draw, mind, or how often they fail (in less regularly inspected loos the tap getting stuck on could cause a real issue..)

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
  • Simulated..What more do you needa know :P
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: 16/08/2007 21:18:07 »
Failed First Flush..Great Idea because I mean I sit there in the restroom after finished going. And I press the botton like 10 times before it flushes. I think we have something wrong with our toliet.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16/08/2007 21:26:05 »
The loo handle thing is neatly avoided by those remote sensor things they have in service stations and such. Wave your hand at one to flush the loo, to turn on the tap, to turn on the hand-drier, etc.
Not sure how much energy they draw, mind, or how often they fail (in less regularly inspected loos the tap getting stuck on could cause a real issue..)

Ahh..what I meant was the door handle to the room of loos when you're leaving once you've washed and dried your hands....

...sorry..my mistake for not explaining better....

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16/08/2007 21:46:35 »

Ahh..what I meant was the door handle to the room of loos when you're leaving once you've washed and dried your hands....

Ooohhhh, I hate touching the door handle after I've washed my hands!  I always use a paper towel...if there are any...if not I use my feet!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16/08/2007 22:07:39 »
I need a talking medicine pill box that is very precise in counting out your pills. and telling you it is time to take your medicine.. I forget easy and thats a NO NO!

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16/08/2007 22:47:46 »
I need a talking medicine pill box that is very precise in counting out your pills. and telling you it is time to take your medicine.. I forget easy and thats a NO NO!

That's a good one!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 17/08/2007 02:15:11 »

I have a cure for your door thing Neily!Why cant they put those automatic doors on a bathroom like a door at Kmart.. activated by weight stepping on area in front of door.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 17/08/2007 02:15:11 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums