The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Time Machine - Ronald Mallett  (Read 8110 times)

drkev

Time Machine - Ronald Mallett
« on: 15/08/2007 17:23:18 »
I have been reading about Dr Ronald Mallett and his time machine and I have serious issues with the concept. It is plausible in that it deals with a "tunnel" that links two places in time rather than dealing with a "timeline" that other theories are based on.

However, the concept is entirely dependent upon Einstein's theory of relativity. I have absolutely no confidence in any scientific theory which is based entirely upon another theory. If the original theory is incorrect then any theories based on it fall apart completely.

The time machine will not allow you to travel back to a time before it was created, it creates a tunnel between "now" and "then" (then being a point in future).

I would love to be able to travel back in time to my 2007 self with this weekends lottery numbers  ;)

drkev

« Reply #1 on: 15/08/2007 17:26:49 »
They will know straight away if it works or not because when they switch it on something should come through it! If you built a time machine then you would send something through it back to the time it was first switched on just to prove it was possible.

So, if the machine is built and nothing comes through it immediately; they know the machine doesn't work!

another_someone

« Reply #2 on: 15/08/2007 18:49:44 »
Even assuming that the theory was right, and even assuming that the machine Dr Ronald Mallett is building did as he believed it might, it relies on a notion of frame drag, and if this were to have any meaning, that frame drag must be absolutely flat throughout the field (i.e. there is no point in a time machine that sends your skin back 38 hours, 15 minutes, and 12 seconds; but sends your heart back 38 hours, 15 minutes, and 11 seconds).  I cannot see how he could possibly make the field 100.000000000% flat.  I would expect the field to be stronger as you get closer top the ring, and weaker as you get further away.  Given that, it might theoretically not be a violation of the laws of physics to send matter through time, but the matter is likely to be so disrupted by the process that you are not actually sending any information back through time.

drkev

« Reply #3 on: 16/08/2007 00:26:21 »
I wondered that as well and in the documentary he talks about sending neutron particles through time. A neutron particle is very different to a human body.

It reminds me of star trek! When they transport someone, how can they ensure that the person will be reassembled correctly at the other end?

I hate that show and loved the part in space balls where the president was transported and his bum was on back to front lol

I am also curious as to how Mallett intends to control the point in time which the object can travel to!

Does anyone have the plans for this machine? Wouldn't mind building one in the garden ;)

Offline engrByDayPianstByNight

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16/08/2007 01:02:00 »

It reminds me of star trek! When they transport someone, how can they ensure that the person will be reassembled correctly at the other end?

If I remember right, the transporter has a mechanism called the Heisenberg compensator, which is used to compensate for the Heisenberg uncertainty (namely, that you will never know the precise momentum and location of a particle simultaneously).

lyner

« Reply #5 on: 17/08/2007 10:59:44 »
What about the idea of using a time machine just to send INFORMATION back?
That would involve no disruption of the molecules of an object and could be really handy.
Paradox - what paradox?

Offline Cut Chemist

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18/08/2007 02:31:15 »
What about the idea of using a time machine just to send INFORMATION back?
That would involve no disruption of the molecules of an object and could be really handy.

From the documentary I got the feeling as if that was the intended application.  The high powered lasers he is using probably create a significant amount of heat as well (if not used in a vacuum.)  Which would cause problems if it was intended to be used on biological organisms. 

Still, being able to send information back from the future would be of great importance.
« Last Edit: 18/08/2007 02:33:14 by Cut Chemist »

lyner

« Reply #7 on: 19/08/2007 00:05:25 »
Still, being able to send information back from the future would be of great importance.
As with all communication systems, there would be 'channel noise' and this could well be very high (for instance, the technique with high power lasers would involve very high noise temperatures).' They' could, at this minute (our time, that is) be sending very noisy messages back to us from the future. How would we detect them? Clairvoyance?
That's a pretty error-prone system.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19/08/2007 12:42:06 »
There's 1 aspect of time travel that no-one seems to consider. I thought of it when I first read the H G Wells story.

The Earth is moving through space so even travelling back in time 5 minutes means the part of the ground you were on to start with won't be there anymore. Travel back (or forwards) 6 months and the Earth will be round the other side of the Sun.

This all means that when you re-appear in the future or the past, chances are that you will be in space. Not a prospect that most people would relish.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19/08/2007 19:40:27 »
When I see the 'star trek' transporter in action I am amazed how fast it happens, presumably when a person is teleported the original position of every molecule in his body must be recorded and transmitted to the site where he is to be ...reconstituted, this is a vast amount of data.
I would hate to have to wait while it travels by my 2Mb broadband link.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19/08/2007 19:53:00 »
When I see the 'star trek' transporter in action I am amazed how fast it happens, presumably when a person is teleported the original position of every molecule in his body must be recorded and transmitted to the site where he is to be ...reconstituted, this is a vast amount of data.

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #11 on: 20/08/2007 21:44:46 »
Havent you ever heard of data compression :)

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20/08/2007 21:46:30 »
Havent you ever seen that film 'The Fly'!

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #13 on: 21/08/2007 03:55:31 »

Thats where a fly gets merged with and slowly turns  human ,poor thing.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21/08/2007 08:53:03 »

Thats where a fly gets merged with and slowly turns  human ,poor thing.

Is that where McFly came from?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #14 on: 21/08/2007 08:53:03 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums