The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does being in a coma make you younger?  (Read 9128 times)

paul.fr

Does being in a coma make you younger?
« on: 16/08/2007 08:15:33 »
I was thinking about this last night. say you are in a coma, your body has been pretty much running on autopilot (i presume). Nothing too strenuous or exhausting going on, just ticking over.

Now, if you come out of said come, 10 years later. You have obviously got 10 years older, but has your organs? Yes i know they are also 10 years older, but i am guessing they have not done the "normal days work" for those 10 years. IE, running to work, stress, making money last etc..

So are those organs in effect younger? Does that make sense?

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 16/08/2007 14:05:13 »
Thats a good question, I would think the heart being a muscle would be OK as it is not one you want to enlarge so to speak. But perhaps not used to regular exercise I would think. Do they do physical therapy with people who are in coma to prevent muscle atrophy?

As far as younger A resting heart beat is interesting.. I wonder the same with bladder etc. you would have been receiving liquid via tube and tummy tube eh? I don't know.. your body would still be functioning but at a much slower rate I would think! Could be the wear and tear would have slowed the degeneration.

There was a women who lost 20 years to coma and came out of it. she looked as she had aged normally and had actually been pregnant when she slipped into coma, they delivered her baby during that period as I understand it but I guess she had no memory of that time and actually thought it was twenty years previous when she woke .. I can't remember all her health issues at that point though!

another_someone

« Reply #2 on: 16/08/2007 14:14:47 »
Wear and tear would be reduced, but so would the capacity to repair damage, so not sure what the effects of that might be.

I would expect that some of the effects might not be unlike the problems with space travel (reduced heart capacity, as hinted, but possibly also demineralisation of bones, which inevitably are not being stressed).

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16/08/2007 15:05:17 »
Does the opposite apply for people like me !! ?...I gain about 1-2 years wakefulness every ten years based on the average sleep cycle of 7-8 hours !!...which is nice !!

Offline OZ

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23/08/2007 21:21:47 »
the cellular mechanism for ageing has been associated with progressive shortening of telomere length on the ends of each chromosome with each cell cycle..  in the contect of this, a coma wouldnt necessarily keep you young, but you would age just the same.  Dolly the sheep is a good example of this.  She was a clone of an animal who was old at the time.  Dollys cells were disadvantaged to begin with (in terms of telomere length) and she aways displayed signs of premature ageing..

Brain:  use it or lose it.. would you expect to see a cognitive decline in someone whos been in a coma for 10 years and hasnt used their brain much? maybe

bones; lying down for 10 years reduces the stress on your bones and therefore they cannot remodel themselves to suit natural everyday life.  They could very well end up being weaker this way.

at least being in a coma stops you from smoking :p

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 23/08/2007 21:21:47 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums