The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Antimatter as a source of energy  (Read 5541 times)

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Antimatter as a source of energy
« on: 19/08/2007 20:44:29 »
I came across this at http://www.matter-antimatter.com/antimatter_energy.htm. I don't know how much is viable and what is pure fantasy. And what about the statements on costs of production? Can anyone shed some light for me?

When matter and antimatter come together, energy is produced according to Einstein's equation of mass times speed of light squared or E=mc2. One metric ton of antimatter (mass of a car) can produce all world's electricity for one year.  According to Harrison Schmitt, Apollo 17 Moonwalker and former U. S. Senator, every country could be brought into the 21st century with eight metric tons. 

Since antimatter will produce all the world’s energy needs, people can make products from oil, natural gas, and coal rather than burn them and pollute our atmosphere.

Within twenty years, the United States will not be independent upon natural gas, oil, and coal as sources of energy.  Countries will be make products from the chemical rather then burn them and pollute our environment.  Today, scientists know how to acquire, process, and package energy sources at antimatter facilities.

Energy sources from a grams of antimatter will become available within  ten years.  The energy in five grams of antimatter (the mass of a nickel) is equivalent to five Saturn V rocket.   With a gram of antimatter,  people in spacecraft can travel to the moon in hours and the planets in days.

In twenty years, kilograms to metric ton of antimatter will become available.  The initial cost of antimatter will be approximately $1 billion per gram; but as technology advances, the antimatter costs will come down to about $1 million per gram within twenty years as metric tons of antimatter become available. The energy tables contain some of the common antimatter energy conversions. 

The economic opportunities will be measured in thousands of trillions of dollars; but the real benefits come from billions of people living out their dreams. Antimatter will be provide power for spacecraft, space stations, space facilities, and colonies on the moon, planets, and stars.

I find this statement... "Today, scientists know how to acquire, process, and package energy sources at antimatter facilities." intriguing. Do scientists actually know how to process & package antimatter energy?
« Last Edit: 19/08/2007 20:48:11 by DoctorBeaver »

another_someone

« Reply #1 on: 19/08/2007 21:17:40 »
If we could get hold of substantial quantities of anti-matter at reasonable energy costs, it would solve out energy problems.

There are two problems.

Firstly, anti-matter when coming in contact with matter will create energy, but on such a scale that if you happen to leak any significant quantity of anti-matter into the environment you would have a disaster on a very dramatic scale.

Secondly, where do you get this ant-matter from.  Since matter and anti-matter will annihilate each other when the come in contact with each other, it must be clear that if there are any free supplies of anti-matter, it must have spent its life well away from any matter.

http://www.matter-antimatter.com/antimatter_facilities.htm
Antimatter Facilities are need to acquiring, processing & storing fabricating antimatter energy sources. Acquiring antimatter will be significantly more different than mining asteroids. Unmanned spacecraft are used because matter & antimatter annihilates upon contact.  The spacecraft uses force fields for grabbing, handling, processing, & storing antimatter.

• Small comet fragments (gram to kilogram quantities) would be the easiest for grabbing, handling and processing into antimatter energy sources.
  • Larger comet fragments (kilogram to metric ton quantities) require a more effort.  Unmanned spacecraft follow comets in order to grab fragments that cut or blow off the comet.  The larger comet fragments are handling and processing into larger antimatter energy sources.

Comet fragments provide enormous amount energy. A metric ton of antimatter (mass of the average car) can produce all the electricity in the world for one year.  The energy sources can be used to bring every country into the 21st century without destroying our environment and turning the Star Trek Dream into Reality.

Since all the theories I am aware of concerning the origins of comets suggests they were created with the rest of the early solar system, and so is composed of the same matter (not anti-matter) as the planets, including the Earth.

Secondly, there is a somewhat vague concept of a force field mentioned in the with regard to containing anti-matter.  This sounds like wonderful science fiction, but it certainly lacks any detail that might indicate there is any science fact behind it.

The only ways we presently have of containing anti-matter would be to ensure it is electrically charged, and then contain it within an electric field - but it is not going to prevent some leakage of matter into the container and so eroding the anti-matter therein.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19/08/2007 21:24:02 »
This sounds like an even worse myth than running everything on Hydrogen.
The production of a few atoms of anti matter consumes vast amounts of energy in the worlds largests atom colliders apart from the problem of storing it and recovering the energy stored therein.
Whence does this cost figure of one billion $ per Gram come from I think this is out by at least a factor of 10^12
« Last Edit: 19/08/2007 21:30:01 by syhprum »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19/08/2007 21:27:46 »
So I was right to be dubious about the article. I wish people wouldn't post rubbish and pretend it's authoritative.

another_someone

« Reply #4 on: 19/08/2007 21:37:33 »
So I was right to be dubious about the article. I wish people wouldn't post rubbish and pretend it's authoritative.

So do I, but you have a choice between strict net censorship or caveat emptor.  I know which I prefer.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20/08/2007 13:00:36 »

So do I, but you have a choice between strict net censorship or caveat emptor.  I know which I prefer.

Agreed. That's why I always like to check & double-check.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20/08/2007 18:15:02 »
If you think a few Kilo's of antimatter would be useful here is the place to get it (better check your credit card rating first)http://webcast.cern.ch/livefromcern/AntMatFactory.ram

lyner

« Reply #7 on: 21/08/2007 17:14:14 »
Who was it said "never give a sucker an even break"?
Some people need protecting from themselves. Magic is far more attractive than rigour, unfortunately.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21/08/2007 18:00:31 »
Phineas Taylor Barnum, A very sensible doctrine

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21/08/2007 18:22:03 »
Isn't "There's 1 born every minute" a Barnum quote too?

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21/08/2007 19:08:32 »
I love the story of one of the freak shows he organised, an albino black slave was one of the exhibits and next to his booth was a door marked 'Egress', when the suckers egress-ed and found themselves outside they had to pay again to get back in to see the rest of the exhibits.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21/08/2007 19:26:15 »
I love the story of one of the freak shows he organised, an albino black slave was one of the exhibits and next to his booth was a door marked 'Egress', when the suckers egress-ed and found themselves outside they had to pay again to get back in to see the rest of the exhibits.

I was going to mention that. It's a classic.

lyner

« Reply #12 on: 21/08/2007 23:14:25 »
As a proposal for a source of energy it out-barmeys Hydrogen.
It's a shame that advertising standards prevents a nice little earner for someone.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22/08/2007 10:09:51 »
As a proposal for a source of energy it out-barmeys Hydrogen.
It's a shame that advertising standards prevents a nice little earner for someone.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #13 on: 22/08/2007 10:09:51 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums