The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: WILL THIS TYPE OF TECHNOLOGY END AGRICULTURE AS WE KNOW IT?  (Read 2799 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Now that we have succeeded in Genetic engineering and the technology for growing our own vegetables and meats in a lab setting, won't it be nice that animals will no longer be slaughtered? What will this mean to the environment and to society?

Offline _Stefan_

• View Profile
    • My Photobucket Album
WILL THIS TYPE OF TECHNOLOGY END AGRICULTURE AS WE KNOW IT?
« Reply #1 on: 20/08/2007 10:54:26 »
Is the vegetarian argument that it's wrong to eat meat, or is it wrong to eat meat from a slaughtered animal?

I think at least it will reduce the environmental impacts.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20/08/2007 11:31:32 »
You know many of them I know believe its wrong to eat animals but they also object to genetic engineering of our meat sources!

Personally if it is safe I am all for it. Healthy is very important. It must be without danger or risk to health for me!

another_someone

« Reply #3 on: 20/08/2007 12:22:26 »
I don't think we have yet perfected growing meat in a lab (some specific organs, yes; but not meat in general).

I can see many advantages to industrially grown meat, not least issues of hygiene and of quality control (every piece of meat will be just like the piece before, which at least will make life easier for supermarkets, which love consistency of product).

The problems as I see it are:

• Maybe not so much a problem for the consumer, but it won't help the animals; because if there is no commercial incentives for farming domestic animals, then the population of these animals will fall dramatically (they may not be being killed, but neither will they be born), and they may only really be found in zoos (and may breeds will probably die out altogether).
  • Even if we can grow the flesh of the animal, can we be sure that the flesh contains all of the nutrients that we presently take from meat (we do not even know what all the various nutrients are, so how can we be sure that they all remain).

Ofcourse, their are other environmental impacts (mostly what environmentalists would regard as benefits):

• Large amounts of methane are produced by ruminants, and if sheep and cattle are brought to the brink of extinction (existing only in zoos) it will significantly reduce the amount of methane being produced.  Methane is classed as a greenhouse gas that is more potent than CO2.

• Sheep and cattle require substantial areas of grassland.  If sheep and cattle are removed from the landscape, much of that grassland would naturally return to forest (ofcourse, it may be that we actually reallocate that land for other purposes - e.g. for the production of biofuels, and so we will not then allow the land to reforest).

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20/08/2007 12:59:40 »
Soy what happened to all the meat substitute products such as Quorn that were being made from soya?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20/08/2007 13:05:55 »
What is Quorn??? Hasn't there been some new views on soy products lately negative ones.. I can't recall what it was..
Tofu and such also!

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20/08/2007 13:07:04 »
Quorn was a brand name in the UK for a range of soya-based, meat-substitute ready-meals.

I tried a couple (in the name of research, of course) & although the chicken 1 tasted vaguely chickenish, it was dry & flaky - the texture was totally wrong. As for the beef - YUK!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20/08/2007 13:11:29 »
I don't think we have yet perfected growing meat in a lab (some specific organs, yes; but not meat in general).

I can see many advantages to industrially grown meat, not least issues of hygiene and of quality control (every piece of meat will be just like the piece before, which at least will make life easier for supermarkets, which love consistency of product).

The problems as I see it are:

• Maybe not so much a problem for the consumer, but it won't help the animals; because if there is no commercial incentives for farming domestic animals, then the population of these animals will fall dramatically (they may not be being killed, but neither will they be born), and they may only really be found in zoos (and may breeds will probably die out altogether).
  • Even if we can grow the flesh of the animal, can we be sure that the flesh contains all of the nutrients that we presently take from meat (we do not even know what all the various nutrients are, so how can we be sure that they all remain).

Ofcourse, their are other environmental impacts (mostly what environmentalists would regard as benefits):

• Large amounts of methane are produced by ruminants, and if sheep and cattle are brought to the brink of extinction (existing only in zoos) it will significantly reduce the amount of methane being produced.  Methane is classed as a greenhouse gas that is more potent than CO2.

• Sheep and cattle require substantial areas of grassland.  If sheep and cattle are removed from the landscape, much of that grassland would naturally return to forest (ofcourse, it may be that we actually reallocate that land for other purposes - e.g. for the production of biofuels, and so we will not then allow the land to reforest).

There was a pbs special that was on saying that they can and can and have done it. It is very expensive to do as I recall and they said it would be very expensive to produce it!

You have some very good information.. I never even thought of the animals becoming extinct because we stopped eating them but you do make a good point!

Very good thoughts, Thanks George !

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20/08/2007 13:12:54 »
Quorn was a brand name in the UK for a range of soya-based, meat-substitute ready-meals.

I tried a couple (in the name of research, of course) & although the chicken 1 tasted vaguely chickenish, it was dry & flaky - the texture was totally wrong. As for the beef - YUK!

We have a tofu shop next door to the preschool and I really do not like tofu much. I have had some barbequed tofu that was good!

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20/08/2007 13:33:30 »
Tofu can taste good or bad depending on how it's prepared & what you have it with.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20/08/2007 13:41:22 »
It's true but it is hit and miss with me!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 20/08/2007 13:41:22 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length