The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: WHY NOT GIVE PERSONAL VEHICLES AWAY?  (Read 3655 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
WHY NOT GIVE PERSONAL VEHICLES AWAY?
« on: 20/08/2007 08:05:37 »
Aren't they expensive and dangerous?
People think they need these old new cars as part of
their self image! Now isn't that a pity?
What do you think?

Well that is not my opinion but I know many who share this opinion with others. Share with me your thoughts on the subject?

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 20/08/2007 13:14:27 »
I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean people should give away their old cars? Or that old cars shouldn't be allowed?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20/08/2007 14:11:06 »
Well some of the people I was listening to , believe we should not have cars individually! Some do believe it should be mandatory! LOL

Like I said I don't share that opinion as I love to be able to pick up and go under my own power. You loose so many personal privelidges when you loose your car.. Yes I see benefits, but the need to be able to come and go for me is essential..

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20/08/2007 14:28:01 »
Where I currently live, and even more so where I used to live, a car is essential. If I want to go to the nearest supermarket without a car I'd have to catch a bus that runs once an hour, change in town, wait for another bus to go from there to the supermarket, then do the return trip with tons of shopping. It would probably take me the best part of half a day. In a car it takes less than an hour.

If there was too much shopping for me to carry I'd have to get a cab back which costs about 9.

Plus, even in my 3litre BMW it only takes about 2 of petrol. By bus it costs 5.60 return to town & probably about 2.50 return from there to the supermarket & back.

Now consider that I have a lot of friends scattered around the country. I went to a wedding in Yorkshire a few weeks back. It took me 2 1/2 hours to get there. If I'd gone by public transport I'd have had to get to the station in town (bus plus a half mile walk, or cab), catch a train from there to Birmingham Snow Hill, bus or cab from there to the main Birmingham station, get a train to Nottingham (I think it's Nottingham), change trains again to get to Doncaster, another train to Wakefield, then get a bus or cab the remaining 11 miles. I dread to imaging how long that would take.

I used 55 of petrol for the round trip (which included quite a lot of running around while I was there; and, believe me, I wasn't hanging around on the motorway - 90-100mph most of the way) and I reckon just the trains would have cost me close to 100.

Then there was the situation when Sandra's nan was taken ill late at night. There's no public transport in the villages after about 7pm.

It's fine for people who live in cities or large towns to call for cars to be banned, or try to tax them out of existence; but for us folk who live in the country, cars are necessary.

Do away with my personal vehicle? No chance!
« Last Edit: 20/08/2007 14:32:02 by DoctorBeaver »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20/08/2007 14:45:09 »
I whole heartedly agree I am in the country also and would be scared to death to think if I needed to get to a hospital I would wait 15 minutes or so for an ambulance to try to find the road then load me up then another 15 or so back to town... I could be dead by then! .. I am Like you and besides I do want my special little Alfie! LOL

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
  • Simulated..What more do you needa know :P
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: 20/08/2007 20:59:49 »
Take a look in our drive way!

Truck 1. Dodge Power Ram 1989
Truck 2. Chevy S-10 Blazer 1993

Car 1. Chevy Convertible Camaro 1995
Car 2. Chevy Monte Carlo 1998
Car 3. Chevy Lumina 1998
Car 4. Pontiac Grand Prix 1995
Car 5. Pontiac Grand Prix GT 1999

Boat 1. Silverline Tri-Haul (1983 Stern Drive and like 1960 motor haha)

Plus a bunch of extra stuff. :)

Dad's was a mechainic so he still buys and sells vehicles. That's why we have so many.

I say no one needs new cars. Its stupid, they never own it until 10 years is up and once those 10 years are up its only worth 3,000 dollars. Stupid ain't it?

I say we needa carpool more when we are going far distances. Its useless to have 10 cars going to the same place when you can have a bus.

I think that's what you are asking for.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21/08/2007 00:06:31 »
I don't mind a bus on occasion, but on the whole, I want my own wheels. I don't like being the bored stiff at the party who has to stay because the others are not ready to go.. or I might want to stay and have them go! HEE HEE.. I want my own wheels!

Offline i am bored

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21/08/2007 01:51:25 »
i would buy a bus and make other pepole pay for gas i would prefer to drive and make money doing it and i like the flexability of having my own car

another_someone

« Reply #8 on: 21/08/2007 02:26:22 »
I say no one needs new cars. Its stupid, they never own it until 10 years is up and once those 10 years are up its only worth 3,000 dollars. Stupid ain't it?

I have always bought cars for cash - I don't like loans.  I have had a mix of new cars and second hand cars, depending on what my financial circumstances were like.

I say we needa carpool more when we are going far distances. Its useless to have 10 cars going to the same place when you can have a bus.

This makes sense when we have enough people to fill a bus all going from the same place to the same place at the same time.  The problem is that all too often people need to undertake very different journeys, and trying to share transport between them simply makes the journey more inefficient for them all.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21/08/2007 03:39:48 »

I have always bought cars for cash - I don't like loans.  I have had a mix of new cars and second hand cars, depending on what my financial circumstances were like.

This makes sense when we have enough people to fill a bus all going from the same place to the same place at the same time.  The problem is that all too often people need to undertake very different journeys, and trying to share transport between them simply makes the journey more inefficient for them all.

I agree with both these statements . I have never taken a loan for a vehicle either. I have always paid cash and am glad about that! It is my preference!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 21/08/2007 03:39:48 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums