The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Nicotine products and cancer  (Read 3054 times)

paul.fr

Nicotine products and cancer
« on: 20/08/2007 09:51:54 »
Lots of people are using products to stop them smoking, but can products such as nicotine chewing gum and patches cause cancer, or other health problems?

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 20/08/2007 10:17:43 »
I bet they could if abused but you would thing used in the proper manner tapering the strength of the patches as stated in the plan for patches, I would think the benefits might outweigh the possibilities in the long run. as patches and gum are only supposed to be a interim like tapering off any drug,, one step at a time..

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21/08/2007 02:20:45 »
Paul, there are so many carcinogens in our environment I would not worry about chewing gum or patches. What I would be worried about is HOW you stop.

My personal experience. I had to quit and stay quit. There is no easy way. I tried everything else, except patches and I invariably failed. Just do it. Stop arguing with yourself and do it.

Hugs, my friend

another_someone

« Reply #3 on: 21/08/2007 02:59:59 »
Chewing tobacco can certainly cause moth cancers, but I don't know about nicotine chewing gum (which would not have all the tar of tobacco).

But in any case, as has been hinted at, the increase in risk that exists from most carcinogens is only very slight (and this includes tobacco).  The problem  that exists is when you use it continually year on year, the you have a cumulative risk that is orders of magnitude greater than the risk associated with short term use.

paul.fr

« Reply #4 on: 21/08/2007 13:13:54 »
i had heard abot the chewing tobacco, that and Kadie using the patches prompted the question.

JimBob, if i stopped arguing with myself i would go mad! plus, i only get the right answer when replying to mysef.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 21/08/2007 13:13:54 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums