The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Do I have to have a beard to be a real geologist?  (Read 8962 times)

Offline pete_inthehills

• View Profile
    • The Beggshill Bothy
All the best geologists have a beard and a liking for real ale.  At least that seems to be the case in the UK.

I don't have a beard, but I do have fantastic sideburns and a love of dark beers.

Do you need a beard to be a good geologist?

Pete
inthehills

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Do I have to have a beard to be a real geologist?
« Reply #1 on: 20/08/2007 23:37:03 »
Oh MY Gawwwwwd !!

it's true !!

paul.fr

« Reply #2 on: 20/08/2007 23:40:15 »
I guess they keep you warm on the rocks. Yes you do need a beard, so do physics teachers, they also need arms that move on their own accord.

paul.fr

« Reply #3 on: 20/08/2007 23:52:56 »

Stereotypically, geologists are boring men with beards who talk about rocks, but you've made geology seem very accessible and completely fascinating. Was this one of your aims when writing the book?
I feel passionately that geology is the most romantic of sciences, as well as being of the most profound importance. The field trips I went on in the Scottish Hebrides, and later in East Africa and the Americas, were times of absolute wonder and great happiness. The opportunity to visit some of the loneliest and most ruggedly beautiful places on earth, with scientists who had the uncanny gift of knowing just why these rugged and beautiful places were exactly as they were, remains a great privilege. If I can communicate, through the story of William Smith, any hint of the great romance of this small and exclusive company of the world's earthwatchers, then I will have succeeded.

Simon Winchester, author
http://www.penguin.co.uk/nf/Author/AuthorPage/0,,1000050800,00.html?sym=QUE

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20/08/2007 23:55:37 »
Only if you're female :o

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21/08/2007 00:04:13 »
You DO NOT need a beard but it helps to have hair on you head. The sun can cause sever burns. I never like to wear hats, even when in the field now and Texas is hot.

Offline frethack

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21/08/2007 12:10:00 »
You DO NOT need a beard but it helps to have hair on you head. The sun can cause sever burns. I never like to wear hats, even when in the field now and Texas is hot.

Here, here.  Not only is Texas hot (maybe not as much this year as during solar peaks), but, here in the great swamp of Houston, you can almost swim in the humidity.

Offline ichnos

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23/08/2007 14:30:50 »
i don't have a beard (being female) but i'm working on it...

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24/08/2007 18:16:39 »

Here, here.  Not only is Texas hot (maybe not as much this year as during solar peaks), but, here in the great swamp of Houston, you can almost swim in the humidity.

GAWD - I have turned down work because it meant stays in Houston. I lived there for 12 years and even a short trip to the place takes a bit of time to think about - IS THIS REALLY NECESSARY ?????

Oh, The traffic - let me tell you .....

I HATE the place.

You have my deepest sympathies.

« Last Edit: 24/08/2007 18:18:27 by JimBob »

Offline frethack

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24/08/2007 20:16:12 »
Oh, The traffic - let me tell you .....

I HATE the place.

You have my deepest sympathies.

Fortunately, I dont live or work downtown (well...anymore), but the constant construction next to NASA means that I have to leave 35 minutes early for work to drive 11 miles.  Not to mention that, unless your deepest love in geology are flood plains and shoreline processes, this is about the most uninteresting place on earth to be (though the fishing is excellent!).  Fluvial and marine systems are great and all, but there is not an outcrop to be had...unless you drive to Austin.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25/08/2007 00:50:43 »
That is the reason I live here - besides the fact that I grew up here.

Offline frethack

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25/08/2007 10:16:29 »
Well, hopefully Ill find my way to Austin in the next two or three years.  Ive been giving a lot of consideration to UT as of late, and a 3 1/2 hour commute is out of the question.   [O8)] (sorry...been wanting to use that fro guy since I saw him)  I know that the PhD program at UT is much better than U of H, but would you, or anyone, know how it compares to Rice?  I hear that the Jackson School of Geosciences is one of the better programs in the country and that theyre trying to build a highly respected reputation in climatology, and unfortunately, I dont hear much at all about the Rice program.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #11 on: 25/08/2007 10:16:29 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums