The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: why do i have scars and not smooth skin?  (Read 3898 times)

paul.fr

why do i have scars and not smooth skin?
« on: 21/08/2007 10:58:45 »
i have many scars, but why. when the new skin is "growing" over a wound why does in not just "fill the gap in" and make a nice new, smooth layer of skin.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 21/08/2007 11:28:02 »
Quite often it does. I think it may depend on your age & the depth of the cut.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21/08/2007 20:54:44 »
It doesn't do a very pretty job because it needs to do it in a hurry to keep infections out.

paul.fr

« Reply #3 on: 21/08/2007 21:00:17 »
ok, take just 2 of the scars from the same "incident"

I have one under my chin and one accross my eyelid, where i ran in to two lengths of trip wire that was placed obviously at head height.

The scar under my chin is a lumpy line and semi-visable. The one on my eyelid (that was nearly cut off)is almost undetectable. Why the difference?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21/08/2007 21:17:02 »
When My big sister was 4 or so maybe five we were having a birthday party and she was playing with a party napkin . She had it opened up on her head and was dancing around the room. All the adults were scattered about the living room drinking coffee and chatting whilst the children played in the middle. My sister was talking away when she ran up into my cousins arm and danced away ! She had hit his cigarette and with in seconds the napkin was aflame, and had blown down over her face  the flames caught her skin on fire quickly and the napkin embedded in her flesh still burning.. my family jumped to her and immediately put a cloth on her face and pressed the fames out .. She was burn't really badly... My Grandma immediately packed her face with of all Things Vasiline..and honey thick globes of it!  Where we lived at the time we had to drive most all night to get to the doctor.. they got her there by morning and she was in a lot of pain.. Grandma had torn clean bed sheets up and bandaided her whole face and head! The doctors were upset  as they were worried about the pack on her face.. The burns were severe second and third degree. They cleaned as best they could back then not like they do these days.. My sister wore bandaides for a long time. When it come time to remove them the doc said he was amazed as she was without scars.. not a single scar remained after she healed he said it had to be the pack but had never seen such a thing and that he would never have done that... My Grandma insisted they used that for years before doctor,, she knew.. LOL I don't know why no scars or if it truely was the pack.. but it was weird for sure!

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22/08/2007 14:28:00 »
The direction of gravity in scar tissue development is essential to keep the new cells uniform. Unfortunately our posture is anything but a constant direction so new growth is often a mixed directional weave rather than normal skin development. Over the years scars tend to fade quite a lot. On the inclined bed therapy pilot studies, old scar tissue was reported by many including myself as improving substantially. Penny a lady down the road from me was amazed to find a scar on her chin shrinking to the point of becoming unnoticeable. And this may also be why people with spinal cord injury are showing recovery signs. The main problem with a spinal cord injury is the scaring of the cord and surrounding tissue, along with bruising and swelling. Possibly this scaring is diminishing much the same as the scars on the skin surface are diminishing, usually over a period of 4-6 months of IBT. And indeed multiple sclerosis means multiple scaring and this also has been reported to have diminished using IBT, also verified in before and after mri scan.

Andrew

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25/08/2007 20:20:32 »
I have heard some things about IBT.. have thought of it as a good therapy for anyone!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 25/08/2007 20:20:32 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums