The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can someone please help me?!  (Read 7357 times)

Offline elizabeth_om

• First timers
    • View Profile
Can someone please help me?!
« on: 21/08/2007 18:36:55 »
For a few years now, I have had a weird occurrence during sleep. It is as if my mind is awake, but my body is still asleep. I am conscious, but I cannot open my eyes or move. I feel very scared, and try to move my body. Then after a short period of time I "snap" out of it and I am awake and able to move. I used to experience this at least once a week, but after I started taking zoloft, and then switched to Paxil they rarely happen. All of the sudden I had one after almost a year of not having them, and am afraid that they are going to occur on a regular basis. Does anyone know about this kind of thing or have any ideas of what it could be? Thank you for your time.

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 21/08/2007 19:50:24 »
Hi
This post comes with the obligatory I-am-not-a-doctor warning. I know nothing about any of this so if you're worried see your GP/family doctor..
This is not something I have ever experienced, but it sounds like descriptions I've heard of sleep paralysis. There was an extended discussion of SP, including descriptions of their experiences by people who've had it happen to them at this thread:
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=2044.150
Anyway, welcom to the forum, whilst you're here do have a look around!

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22/08/2007 02:51:23 »
elizabeth_om

I have experienced this myself. I am also meditate regularly (I noted the Om).  If this is something you do or have done in the past, please email me or send me a personal message through the forum. There are several reasons besides medical - though by all means see a physician - but we can discuss the experiences we have had in private. It may be best that way.

Offline Misty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11/02/2008 11:31:44 »
My daughter suffers from this and it has a proper diagnosis and is a type of sleep paralysis.  She used to get very frightened by it, but now just relaxes into it until she "snaps" out of it.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 11/02/2008 11:31:44 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length