The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: tv viewing figures  (Read 3557 times)

paul.fr

tv viewing figures
« on: 22/08/2007 21:08:11 »
I bet there is some science in them , but chat seems as good a place as any.

How do tv companies / networks work out their viewing figues? nobody has ever asked me what tripe i may or may not watch on the tv.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
tv viewing figures
« Reply #1 on: 22/08/2007 21:54:23 »
I know the answer.....but will wait for somebody who can explain it better than me !!

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
tv viewing figures
« Reply #2 on: 22/08/2007 21:56:26 »
it's simple. they're watching you!

another_someone

tv viewing figures
« Reply #3 on: 22/08/2007 22:11:54 »
As I understand it, TV companies put little boxes in the houses of certain volunteers that monitor which programs are being watched by the volunteers, and then they extrapolate from that small group to the wider population (ofcourse, the extrapolation could be wrong).

I suspect that with cable TV there are more direct ways of monitoring viewer numbers.

paul.fr

tv viewing figures
« Reply #4 on: 22/08/2007 22:14:03 »
As I understand it, TV companies put little boxes in the houses of certain volunteers that monitor which programs are being watched by the volunteers, and then they extrapolate from that small group to the wider population (ofcourse, the extrapolation could be wrong).

I suspect that with cable TV there are more direct ways of monitoring viewer numbers.

In that case. i think you, stuart and i should volunteer for one. that would bugger the figures up, ok stuart is in Germany but whos to know.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
tv viewing figures
« Reply #5 on: 22/08/2007 22:37:09 »
Now that the question has been answered...here's what I just found !

It's an entry to an online thing called Wikipedia !!..heard of it ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audience_measurement

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
tv viewing figures
« Reply #6 on: 22/08/2007 22:48:22 »
Here I have taken part in what they call the Neilson ratings  system, Something like that.. I have done it three times over the past years. They give you a booklet with all the shows available and tons of questions to answer along with shows to watch and record your viewing preferences. It is done over several weeks with weekly turn ins of your information. Pretty simple then they analyze  the ratings for each family who participated and go from their . That is what they have done here anyway!

The questions included were the ages of all who watch male female etc. what you do where you live very personal questions about you as a viewer and those in your household that also view and how many Tvs you own how long you watch tv etc etc etc. At the time I owned 6 tv's and had at least 1 of them on 24 hrs a day! LOL It's the noise! LOL!
« Last Edit: 22/08/2007 22:52:43 by Karen W. »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
tv viewing figures
« Reply #7 on: 22/08/2007 23:00:48 »
Here I have taken part in what they call the Neil son ratings  system, Something like that.. I have done it three times over the past years. They give you a booklet with all the shows available and tons of questions to answer along with shows to watch and record your viewing preferences. It is done over several weeks with weekly turn ins of your information. Pretty simple then they analyze  the ratings for each family who participated and go from their . That is what they have done here anyway!

The questions included were the ages of all who watch male female etc. what you do where you live very personal questions about you as a viewer and those in your household that also view and how many Tvs you own how long you watch tv etc etc etc. At the time I owned 6 tv's and had at least 1 of them on 24 hrs a day! LOL It's the noise! LOL!

I always knew my boy would do well....and there I was thinking he's asleep in his cot at nights when instead he is conducting tv ratings in America !!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
tv viewing figures
« Reply #8 on: 22/08/2007 23:02:57 »
LOL LOL You are so funny! LOL..I wish I could figure out how your mind works ..LOL you are so darn quick with the funny comebacks! LOL!

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
tv viewing figures
« Reply #9 on: 22/08/2007 23:03:37 »
i want to do that! how do you do it?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
tv viewing figures
« Reply #10 on: 22/08/2007 23:23:52 »
i want to do that! how do you do it?

I'm just one of triplets !!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
tv viewing figures
« Reply #11 on: 22/08/2007 23:43:43 »
LOL! That is good! Does that mean there is no hope for us!

The Naked Scientists Forum

tv viewing figures
« Reply #11 on: 22/08/2007 23:43:43 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums