The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Composing Compost...it's a cacophony !!  (Read 5567 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Composing Compost...it's a cacophony !!
« on: 23/08/2007 22:35:58 »
Dear Compost Composers,

Would ewe just look at this ?

It's a thing of beauty isn't it ?....it reminds me of this one time, in winter and i really needed to ' go '..and...erhmm...anyway !!*cough cough*..it's the steam...the steam !!!....

Compost is dead plants and stuff  that becomes food for live plants !!...that makes plants cannibals yes ?...

.....what I really want to know.....is...say a bunch of hemlock or some other nasty poisonous plant became fodder for the compost...would it A: be ok for me to handle once it's broken down ?..and B: would it make good compost ?...and C: what exactly IS compost ?  ie: what does it become ?....D: How can something which is going orf and rotting big time be something that is indeed an enriched food source for the garden ?

Let your answers Peat-er here !! *groan....now THAT is bad *

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 26/08/2007 00:12:53 »
 Well, when your compost decomposes and decays it becomes a nice rich organic matter in which you can add to your soil as a mulch or nutrient additive to enrich the soil!. Composting happens in nature all the time. Things like fallen leaves and dead plants are are turned into a rich supplement with the help of earthworms,and microorganisms, and different beneficial fungi. After decompositions, it turns into a soil-like mulch or substance if you will. It then provides tons of valuable nutrients to your soil for healthy soil for growing!

I believe most any composting material would be safe to handle after decomposition!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27/08/2007 21:06:46 »
Thank you Karen.

Clearly you are the compost queen and so I am grateful for your kind answer.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29/08/2007 02:01:35 »
Well, "The compost Queen?" I am not sure if that is an insult or a compliment? LOL

I would really check further into the nature of poisonous plants in compost as I am not positive on that part. Just assumed after adding other things like straw water and other organic matter  NO meats.. Not at my house it attracts rats big huge wood rats and other lovely rodents! anyway that it would make it safe.

I honestly would not put in poison oak or ivy as the oil my daughter tells me would last for years, so in that case I would be wary!
« Last Edit: 29/08/2007 02:05:00 by Karen W. »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 29/08/2007 02:01:35 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums