The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Ghosts: Supernatural, or Unexplained Natural Phenomena???  (Read 8461 times)

Offline Quantumorigin7

• View Profile
I'm wondering this because everyone says, ghosts, bla bla, bla, don't bla bla bla, exist, bla bla bla.

I caught one on my camera, ok. this was on a bikepath, in the pitch dark, the camera was clean, the flash was perfect, no hairs, no moisture, nothing in my way.

paul.fr

Ghosts: Supernatural, or Unexplained Natural Phenomena???
« Reply #1 on: 29/08/2007 21:41:48 »
I'm wondering this because everyone says, ghosts, bla bla, bla, don't bla bla bla, exist, bla bla bla.

I caught one on my camera, ok. this was on a bikepath, in the pitch dark, the camera was clean, the flash was perfect, no hairs, no moisture, nothing in my way.

i don't suppose you can post that picture. You could also contact James Randi, here http://www.randi.org/ . I think he is or was offering $1million for such a photo.

Offline Quantumorigin7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29/08/2007 22:43:24 »
Dont' suppose I have a photo? well, when I come on next time, I indeed will post it.

Of course I would not pass that test, it's a million dollars, they probably make sure you don't get it.

Offline Quantumorigin7

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29/08/2007 22:55:28 »
Nope, damn....I'll try again.

Offline Quantumorigin7

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29/08/2007 23:07:39 »
How the hell do I get my picture on here?

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30/08/2007 09:48:30 »

Offline Nobody's Confidant

• Neilep Level Member
  • So loud silence can be.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31/08/2007 14:56:29 »
Rosy beat me to it...Darn.

Offline Quantumorigin7

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19/06/2008 21:14:15 »
IMG]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd242/paranormalsomething7/Whosthat.jpg[/IMG]

Offline Quantumorigin7

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19/06/2008 21:20:19 »
sorry it took so long

Offline Quantumorigin7

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19/06/2008 21:21:34 »
kinda small, couldn't make it bigger, I feel it could be a bug of any kind, but then again, I have caught bugs many times in the dark, I even took one of a flickering fire fly and it just showed up brown and solid, rather than like that figure there.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #11 on: 20/06/2008 00:05:38 »
Actually, that's not a bad pic.  I've attached an enhanced false colour version of it.  There's an anomaly in the foreground, on the opposite lane of the road, that's vertically aligned with the tail-end of the bright region, but the mirror axis (an artifact common in photgraphic equipment) is off-axis, which is a bit dodgey and suggests a composite image - I'd need to see the full frame to be sure.

Other than that, I can't see any other obvious signs of falsification.

Not bad

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20/06/2008 01:17:42 »
A blobby ghost ?

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #13 on: 20/06/2008 02:23:59 »
The blobby bit is 'burnt out' - there's no data there, but there was data in the background - the trees and ground beside the road.  The original pic looked a bit CG to me but the trees don't - mind you, difficult to tell when you're only seeing noise.  There are several vertical lines in the noise, and possibly one or two horizontal lines, but I can't see a clear drop-in frame.

I didn't spend any time trying different false-colour combinations, which might pick other stuff out, but gross manipulation becomes pretty apparent quite quickly.

The proportions are suggestive of someone with their arms at their sides and with their head tilted back.

If I was trying to do a shot like that I'd just morph the Moon into the right shape - easy enough to do and no drop-in artifacts.

Offline TheHerbaholic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20/06/2008 02:49:18 »
That could be an alien lol, thats more believable than a ghost anyway, if that is a genuine picture....

Offline Quantumorigin7

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20/06/2008 12:49:06 »
So you're saying I edited this. I don't even know how to edit pictures like this. I just take pictures and that's it, if they don't come out good, I delete them.

You have an interesting point, but remember something. This was taken on a bike path, in the dark. I got strange "Feelings" in this spot and decided to, after many rides through here, to take pictures. This figure came in many forms, orbs, the one you see there, far away shots, but all the same figure. It's amazing.

Offline Quantumorigin7

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20/06/2008 12:50:58 »
Remember too, Lee E., this was done with a cheap Olympus digital camera. I bought it for $200 and it takes really nice shots, even at night.

Offline Quantumorigin7

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20/06/2008 12:52:42 »
It's funny you mention of it looking like it's arms are to it's side and it's head tilted back. I made that exact observation when showing it to my friend. Kind of looks like a ghastly form of a superhero flying to the tree of darkness.

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20/06/2008 13:23:15 »
It would be interesting to see what people think it is without any back story to the picture.  The human mind is easily primed to look for particular things (the virgin mary in a cheese sandwich, faces on Mars, ufos in clouds), so a perspective without the ghost story may actually throw more light on what it is.

Edit - Nicely maintained cycle path, though.
« Last Edit: 20/06/2008 13:25:19 by BenV »

Offline Quantumorigin7

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20/06/2008 14:26:41 »
This is the East Bay Bike path in Rhode Island. It was built entirely, I guess, by the city. It stretches from East Providence Rhode Island all the way to Bristol for a total of 14.5 miles. I bike the whole thing up and back every saturday early, early in the morning. It's great, I'm usually the only man out there and I can enjoy the beautiful scenery(water, trees, sunrises,birds, seasonal flowers) by myself.

Maybe I'll post my favorite sky shot next, see what people think. Rhode Islands only real weather fault is that it rains quite often here. In winter, I might only bike twice a month because it just so happens to rain on Saturdays.

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
  • Simulated..What more do you needa know :P
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: 20/06/2008 15:46:47 »
Youu guys got to stop taking threads I posted already, like last year ha. Someone just kid reincarnation and you just did my ghost one. Oh well. And yeahh as I said in my other one. There are so many stupid ghost shows out there like A haunting, but like Ghost hunters on SciFi, the orginal not thee international one, is like so conscincing.

Offline Quantumorigin7

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20/06/2008 15:51:07 »
Ghost hunters "debunks" claims first. Most of the time, they don't catch anything. Did you see that episode in California with the "blue lady" at that tavern. That was aweful, the guy actually had all kinds of gadgets put into the ceilings and walls. I could tell Jason was ready to go through the guy. That guy was actually smiling about it too, what nerve!!!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #21 on: 20/06/2008 15:51:07 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length