The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Pillows for your head  (Read 2278 times)

another_someone

Pillows for your head
« on: 31/08/2007 12:34:09 »
Yesterday I happen to pass someone who was injured, and people had arranged some towels, etc. as an improvised pillow for him to rest his head upon while he awaited the arrival of an ambulance.

It occurred to me, whether we are lying injured on the ground, or trying to fall asleep in our beds, we use pillows to slightly raise our head.

Clearly, when our ancestors first stood upon this Earth, they had no pillows, and yet they must have spelt well enough.

What purpose (aside from habit) does a pillow actually perform?

I would think, if we are lying on our backs, it would cause a curvature in our airways that would if anything make breathing more difficult.

Since it would raise the head above the heart, it should require that the heart perform slightly more work than if the head was level with the heart.

So where is the pay back?

paul.fr

Pillows for your head
« Reply #1 on: 31/08/2007 23:43:06 »
they may have thought they were helping and instinct lead them to make the casualty comfortable.
Also if you put yhe fingers of one hand on the underside of the chin, and your other hand on the forhead, slowly push and tilt to raise the chin and open the airways.
The pillows may have been used in a similar fashion.

Why do we use pillows now, i would say our desire for comfort.

paul.fr

Pillows for your head
« Reply #2 on: 31/08/2007 23:50:18 »
oooh, unless there was a head wound. Lke you say, George, the head would be anove the heart. this would mean less blood to the would and less of a loss of blood.

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Pillows for your head
« Reply #3 on: 31/08/2007 23:54:29 »
try being a girl and laying on your stomach. your head must go somewhere!

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Pillows for your head
« Reply #4 on: 01/09/2007 00:20:27 »
The Maasai of East Africa use a forked stick. They stand it up so they can rest their head in the crook. Then again, they spend a lot of time standing on 1 leg. Strange people.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Pillows for your head
« Reply #4 on: 01/09/2007 00:20:27 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums