The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: A theory of dark matter  (Read 3679 times)

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
A theory of dark matter
« on: 03/09/2007 20:05:10 »
I'm not good enough to know what to make of this, or even to understand most of it. I'd appreciate a more expert opinion.

http://www.quantummotion.org/

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
A theory of dark matter
« Reply #1 on: 03/09/2007 20:31:54 »
At first sight it looks a bit like a typical "I've got the solution to all the problems in the universe but no one will listen to me" type loonie to me but I'll give it a second look.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
A theory of dark matter
« Reply #2 on: 03/09/2007 21:49:10 »
OK. Thanks, Ian.

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
A theory of dark matter
« Reply #3 on: 03/09/2007 23:02:54 »
I have had a second look and am reasonably sure that it is rubbish but it probably falls into the category.  "Lets write some pseudo scientific obscure text putting a few key phrases and quotes together and adding one or two well known symbols and some clever looking equations and see if the masses cn be conned into beleiving that it's real science".  Anyone with genuine ideas should be able to explain what they're on about much clearer than that even if their first language isn't english.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
A theory of dark matter
« Reply #4 on: 03/09/2007 23:05:52 »
...see if the masses cn be conned into beleiving that it's real science". 

I didn't quite fall into that category. I'm old enough & cynical enough not to take anything at face value.

Thanks for your opinion.

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
A theory of dark matter
« Reply #5 on: 03/09/2007 23:14:40 »
I have a lot more respect for the first kind that really feel that they have something to offer and are honestly trying to get an unorthdox idea over.  You never know, there may be something in there worth considering.  I have nothing but contempt for the ones who do it just to create a stir and start arguments with no genuine interest in science.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
A theory of dark matter
« Reply #6 on: 04/09/2007 01:17:49 »
We've unfortunately had our share of the latter here

lyner

A theory of dark matter
« Reply #7 on: 06/09/2007 18:13:39 »
I have skimmed it. I don't qualify  as a modern Science expert but....
It seems to me to be a list of all the topics from these forums rolled into one; it has quotes fro here and quotes from there - in fact, I didn't come across anything (albeit, skimming through it) that I hadn't read somewhere else. That, to me, means that the author isn't better informed than me - which doesn't really qualify   him to   push many boundaries of understanding.
I can't agree with some of his main statements - for instance, since quantum came along, has anyone thought of space, motion, energy as being continuous? Where's the problem with discontinuity?  Duality is not much of a brain ache for Scientists, is it? The two slits experiment is just something that you can see and is explained by particles  alsohaving a wave nature. He makes far too much of these sorts of things for me to consider, seriously, the other, harder things he refers to.
He must have a lot of time on his hands - or is that  just the same as us lot?
I think he just likes the idea of some kind of magic with fancy words that sound scientific.

Offline Atomic-S

• View Profile
A theory of dark matter
« Reply #8 on: 17/09/2007 08:07:35 »
I would concur that the article lacks the clarity of exposition required of a serious scientific explanation. There is a lack, for example of an attempt to fit the idea of discontinuous motion into the framework of relativity, and to answer such tough questions as: If motion is a set of discontinuous events in space-time, then there presumably is some measurable spacing between them -- or at least, a mean separation between them. What is the measure of that separation, and how does it relate to lower limits on wavelengths and upper limits of frequencies, which arguably do not exist (since we can always choose a suitable reference frame to make these as extreme as we want, for an isolated particle)? And if one can answer these questions in one reference frame, is that answer consistant with what we must correspondingly have in another, consistant with special relativity? There is also a failure to examine the possibility that "particles" may not actually exist as such when traveling, and that the particulate nature of a phenomenon is in many ways an artifact of the nature of the observation, a situation which, if true, means that we need not answer the question of whether the path of the particle is continuous or not, because the thing moving is not a particle as we normally understand that term.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
A theory of dark matter
« Reply #9 on: 17/09/2007 08:14:54 »
There are two words that make me very sceptical of this post, God and book !

The Naked Scientists Forum

A theory of dark matter
« Reply #9 on: 17/09/2007 08:14:54 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums